Choose style:

Author Topic: Adding/installing Grub?  (Read 498 times)

Offline icebear

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Adding/installing Grub?
« on: January 11, 2019, 10:10:04 am »
Hi,

I have a refurb HP commercial grade desktop computer which has Peppermint 9 running on a .5T SSD (Samsung 860).  That works. 

I have also added a pre-existing copy of Win 7 on a 1T 7200 rom disk as a second drive and at least as far as the LINUX system seeing the Windows disk, that also works.  The SATA power cable daisy-chains and there are six data connections on the mother board.

It looks lilke I should be able to use the software manager to install grub-pc and be able to use the system in dual boot mode and choose which system to go to as I boot up.

That is the question.  Would that be good enough or would anything else be required?

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
Re: Adding/installing Grub?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 03:11:34 pm »
Hi Icebear,

You already have Grub installed, so there is no need to add anything. If I remember correctly (I have been Windoze free for more than ten or twelve years now), this issue can be solved by starting your PeppermintOS, then opening a terminal window and typing this command:

Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub
Enter your password when asked and after a few seconds your (already installed) Grub program will have located and added your Windoze to its boot menu.

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 03:23:24 pm »
Hi icebear, welcome to Peppermint. I gather when you boot up your computer, it boots direcly into Peppermint and in the file manager it lists the other hard drive under Devices? What happens if you run
sudo update-grub
?
If I understand correctly, it would depend on how each o/s was installed on it's respective hard drive. Are you able to boot into either o/s while they are both connected to the mother board and how? You may end up having to create a new partition table including both hard drives to accomodate the installation of Windows and Peppermint. Somebody who knows more about this stuff should be commenting soon but please answer my questions so they will have a better understanding of what's going on.
What was I thinking?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 05:02:27 pm »
As already suggested .. if Peppermint boots, you already have GRUB installed.

Yep, just set the Peppermint drive as the first boot device in the BIOS .. then boot into Peppermint and run:
sudo update-grub
this should add Windows to the Peppermint GRUB menu.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline icebear

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 05:50:51 pm »
Hi icebear, welcome to Peppermint. I gather when you boot up your computer, it boots direcly into Peppermint and in the file manager it lists the other hard drive under Devices? What happens if you run
sudo update-grub
?
If I understand correctly, it would depend on how each o/s was installed on it's respective hard drive. Are you able to boot into either o/s while they are both connected to the mother board and how? You may end up having to create a new partition table including both hard drives to accomodate the installation of Windows and Peppermint. Somebody who knows more about this stuff should be commenting soon but please answer my questions so they will have a better understanding of what's going on.

Thanks and thanks to others for suggesting the sudo update-grub idea

That almost works.  The system can boot into Peppermint easily enough with both disks connected.  Again the LINUX system can read the win 7 disk and its files.  But when I boot the windows system, I see a "starting windows" message for an instant and  then a blue screen of death for a moment and then back to grub.  I may end up buying another computer to run the windows system.....  I hate dealing with msoft but every once in a while I need some software item which simply isn't there in the linux world.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 06:07:12 pm »
That's a windows problem then .. nothing to do with GRUB (or even the Windows bootloader) because GRUB's job is finished by that point.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 06:13:42 pm »
Yeah, something went wonky with the Windows install, because I never had an issue like that dual booting any Linux system and Win 7. Did you shrink your Windows partition when you installed Peppermint?

Offline icebear

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 11:57:35 pm »
Yeah, something went wonky with the Windows install, because I never had an issue like that dual booting any Linux system and Win 7. Did you shrink your Windows partition when you installed Peppermint?

Not a question of partitions, separate disks.  The hard drive with the windows install on it is from a computer whose mother board died.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 02:58:24 am »
OK, that's what your problem is. You can't just take a Windows drive off of one motherboard and put it on another. Windows marries itself to the exact location it's installed on, right down to the exact motherboard and even the port on the motherboard that the drive is plugged into. If you take it out and put it on another board, it won't boot.

Offline icebear

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 07:17:04 am »
OK, that's what your problem is. You can't just take a Windows drive off of one motherboard and put it on another. Windows marries itself to the exact location it's installed on, right down to the exact motherboard and even the port on the motherboard that the drive is plugged into. If you take it out and put it on another board, it won't boot.

I've done it before.  It must be the case that something or other has to be roughly compatible...

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 07:56:41 am »
Who knows with Windows? I know the newer versions, particularly 8/8.1 and 10 are supposed to be even more married to the system than older versions. I'm pretty sure 7 doesn't like it when you do that either. But, I may be mistaken. Like you said, it could be a hardware compatibility, or maybe even a driver not loading correctly since you switched hardware.

What you're wanting to do would, of course, quite easily work with Linux. As far as I know, you can do it with OSX too, provided you put it into an OSX compatible system. Windows is the picky one.

Offline Sgthawker

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Nine
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 12:03:33 pm »
Late to the show, I know.

It is likely the chipset driver is wrong. I have moved Win 7 drives from one mobo to another successfully,  but they were in the same chipset family.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk