Choose style:

Author Topic: New Purchases 2019  (Read 5765 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: New Purchases 2019
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2019, 12:31:45 pm »
In addition, restaurants and takeaway vendors must charge VAT on all hot takeaways and home deliveries, but donít need to charge VAT on cold takeaway food unless itís to be eaten in a designated area.

2 questions...

1) At what temperature does this change ? .. I mean if I order a curry be delivered but it arrives cold (and I pay at the door so the contract is only then complete), do I still have to pay VAT ?
(trust me hot food delivered cold happens a lot in Cornwall)

2) If the curry house are charged VAT on say the fuel used to heat the food (or anything else in the process), can I claim that back after paying VAT at my end ?

Personally I think they need to change the name .. Value Added Tax suggests that it adds value in some way (which is a obviously an in joke) .. maybe Value Calculated Tax, or even better the "we've already taxed you 15 times in income tax and at multiple stages in the chain of production for this product, but we're greedy bastards so here's a final tax" tax
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:40:06 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2019, 04:48:38 am »
Hi PCNetSpec,

I vote for the last suggested name change!  :D

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2019, 08:35:29 am »
Actually I'm not happy with its accuracy because it's NOT a 'final' tax .. "we'll also tax you on the fuel and road tax to get it home, then any energy used to enjoy it, then for the rest of your life for it's disposal by making it illegal to dispose of it yourself".
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:38:04 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2019, 05:13:27 am »
Actually I'm not happy with its accuracy because it's NOT a 'final' tax .. "we'll also tax you on the fuel and road tax to get it home, then any energy used to enjoy it, then for the rest of your life for it's disposal by making it illegal to dispose of it yourself".

Every single person is taxed from the day we're all born, taxed on how much air we breathe will be the next one, oh you have over done your monthly oxygen allowance, sorry but the penalty is death by gassing. Just to bring the population down a bit, can you imagine? But if it ever came to this and quite obviously it's man's fault, for polluting the air in the first place, causing a Oxygen Tax. We have to do something about population, as land is getting swallowed by concrete jungles, roads, houses, shops. Meanwhile every minute of everyday a baby is being born. Here in Britain we are well over populated, something will have to be done sooner or later, because as it showed with the potato shortage earlier this year, we won't be able to sustain everyone. How do you control population without harshness? Who decides on the how? What? where? when? According to a few weird videos I've seen on YouTube, by 2028 we're all meant to have our own time machines. In 2029, we are meant to have the truth revealed of what really happened to Marilyn Monroe, which at this time is locked away in a vault. Who has the key to this vault? Has the evidence been tampered with even more so than in the original investigation? Answer= Probably.  Whatever happened to Lord Lucan, who was supposedly on the run for killing his maid or something? No one has answered this, so many unexplained mysteries out there. I hope I'm still around when we all get given our own time machine, then maybe every single person on this planet will find the answer, being at the right place at the right time at the same time to witness Marilyn Monroe's death, Lord Lucan and eventually causing a rift in space time, that causes all those or most of the population that went back to witness, them not even existing anymore, fading away, because the rift that happened going back witnessing the death of Marilyn, altered this time. Yes my brain is weird with it's way of thinking, but I still believe in Einstein's theories and I'm not talking about the dog from Back To The Future.  :D This went from tax to time travel in one quite long paragraph, how my brain is wired is beyond me.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:22:28 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2019, 05:42:09 am »
In addition, restaurants and takeaway vendors must charge VAT on all hot takeaways and home deliveries, but donít need to charge VAT on cold takeaway food unless itís to be eaten in a designated area.

2 questions...

1) At what temperature does this change ? .. I mean if I order a curry be delivered but it arrives cold (and I pay at the door so the contract is only then complete), do I still have to pay VAT ?
(trust me hot food delivered cold happens a lot in Cornwall)

2) If the curry house are charged VAT on say the fuel used to heat the food (or anything else in the process), can I claim that back after paying VAT at my end ?

Personally I think they need to change the name .. Value Added Tax suggests that it adds value in some way (which is a obviously an in joke) .. maybe Value Calculated Tax, or even better the "we've already taxed you 15 times in income tax and at multiple stages in the chain of production for this product, but we're greedy bastards so here's a final tax" tax

When I started my new job, I gave the company my P45 which states I can earn over twelve thousand before paying any tax. I got my first pay and with it a couple days later in an email my first payslip, OK so I did not pay any tax, but £440.00 pound in national insurance, which is meant to go toward a pension for me. When you get to the knitty gritty I'm actually paying for some drunken unemployed lout, to spend my hard earned money down the pub, whilst I'm struggling to stay awake in a job of night shifts, to put food on the table and keep a roof over our heads. Like I said further down this page, in my time traveling post, we need to do something about population.  ;D
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2019, 08:30:49 am »
we need to do something about population.  ;D

I have a few ideas to get you started, but I'm pretty sure they'd contravene established "no politics and religion" forum etiquette :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2019, 03:22:06 pm »
Kinda taking a chance on this one...

The OEM battery on my beloved Asus Eee Pc is getting weak.

Better to be proactive, before it leaves me in the lurch, right?

The battery I wanted is sold in the UK and France. I trust the Brits, but they don't ship to the United Snakes.

As for the frog-eaters... forget about it. So, I'm going the commie route  ;D

Continuing...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2019, 03:48:24 pm »
Next time a battery pack dies on me I think I'm gonna try open it up and just replace the cells with new 18650's (good quality 18650's are now cheap as chips and easily sourced thanks to vaping).

From China you run the risk of very low quality counterfeit 18650's .. Chinese 18650's have been known to have a AAA battery (or similar) wired into an 18650 cased filled with sand .. you'd think counterfeiting  in that way would actually make them more expensive to manufacturer that just buying the real thing from the likes of LG/Sony/Samsung wouldn't you :-\
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:05:10 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2019, 04:14:08 pm »
Right. I'll undoubtedly open my old Eee PC OEM battery, and do something like that, when it dies.

As an example: I've kept my battery powered Norelco Rotatract Razor running since the early '80s..

I gently haxored the internals, with my Dremel, and installed slightly oversized sub c batteries with tabs.

I'm a handy guy to have around, when one is 60 miles out in the ocean, and the motor quits working  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2019, 04:20:14 pm »
.. I gently haxored the internals, with my Dremel, and installed slightly oversized sub c batteries with tabs

I'm a handy guy to have around, when one is 60 miles out in the ocean, and the motor quits working  :)

Until you discovered there was nowhere to plug in the Dremel :))

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2019, 04:26:52 pm »
Bwahahahaha :))

See:  https://is.gd/EkAThB  & https://is.gd/pLB5GQ

Don't leave shore without them...

EDIT

Oh, yeah. I don't own one of these, but I should, huh?  https://is.gd/7YHFoa   ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:33:16 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2019, 04:47:34 pm »
Dremel Cordless....

Okay now the world is complete and I'm ready to die :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2019, 05:20:55 pm »
Civilization works on electricity and monetary debt. Take away electricity and debt, and we'll all die.

Batteries just forestall the inevitable  :)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #148 on: September 08, 2019, 05:57:37 pm »
If I'm 60 miles out to sea with dead motor but a cordless Dremel, I'd be happy with a bit of inevitability forestalling  :)

BTW, why did MacGyver not advertise the Dremel ?
(and duct tape for that matter)

Dremel, duct tapes equal and opposite partner.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2019, 06:12:38 pm »
Not to mention WD-40 & Vise Grips...