Choose style:

Author Topic: New Purchases 2019  (Read 4407 times)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: New Purchases 2019
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 09:25:48 pm »
Sell it to people who find it therapeutic to pop bubble wrap (that seems to be a thing).

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 07:10:15 am »
Plus, you can pop a bunch of bubbles and then talk funny.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 07:50:15 am »
Hmm, with that in mind maybe nitrous oxide would be a better proposition, problem is it's heavier than air .. maybe the postal service could be made to subsidise the "high" price :)

At least you'd feel better about the "wasted" hour spent popping.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 04:31:03 pm »
The Official Apologia

Since day-one, in my journey along the lunatic fringe of computerdom, I've purposely stayed behind the curve, lagging behind recent hardware developments, trends, et cetera. That's always been the 'sweet spot' for me. I'm hardly unique in this. It seems that many, many others, on this website, suffer from the same psychological defect, or lack thereof; depending on one's point of view.

Personally, I've always thought it was foolish, and wasteful, trying to stay ahead of the curve, at the forefront of recent developments, trends, et cetera. I wait, watch, and listen to other user's experiences before buying into something. Then, after I've made a decision, I patiently wait until I find the items I want, at a price I'm willing to pay. Sometimes this process takes years to complete.

To wit: Time for a 'new' project  8)

The hardware in my beloved Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203 case has served me well, but it's slowly dying of old age and lack of 32bit support. I'm gutting the case, and updating the hardware with classic 64bit internals. Think '55 Chevy with a 327 LoL

To give you an idea of its age...

The 'thing' that put me over the top was a lack of 32bit nVidia drivers, in future releases. Plus, the impossibility of finding a modern video card replacement, because of the ancient AGP bus. Bottom line: it's time.

This is going to be an incremental update:

Here's the mobo I just received: ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard + E7500 @ 2.93GHz ($59.99 USD w/FS)

And, here's the RAM I just received: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (4X1GB) PC2-6400 / DDR2-800 Memory w/LEDs ($25.00 USD w/FS)

I've got a new Seasonic X-750 power supply sitting in the closet, that I've never taken out of the box. It was my backup. When a PS goes toes up, you need one 'yesterday', you know?

I'll start bench testing it, in a couple of days. If everything lights-up, the next purchase will be an Intel Core 2 Quad q9650 3.0ghz CPU. And, we'll go from there.

Baby steps, baby steps... Aren't computers fun?  ;D

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 05:38:56 pm »
Sweet! I love Core2 tech. That looks like it's going to be a great setup. 8)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 05:58:54 pm »
Black PCB FTW !!!  ;D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 04:19:55 pm »
Get a Q6600 core2quad .. you can get em for peanuts these days.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 04:51:08 pm »
Get a Q6600 core2quad .. you can get em for peanuts these days.

I looked at those. I'm a bit shocked at how much the prices have dropped. That's one of the reasons for the project.

While I was waiting for the mobo and RAM to arrive, I spent hours looking at CPUs for the Asus P5Q Pro Turbo.

General consensus says, the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz CPU is the best way to go. They're currently selling for $40.00-ish USD, on eBay, which (like you said) is peanuts.  And, the benchmarks blow away my current 32bit config - no contest:  https://goo.gl/eoUm2W

We'll see if this thing lights up first...  ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 05:09:51 pm »
Can that mobo support the 1333Mhz FSB the Q9650 requires ?

If so, yeah that'd be even better than the Q6600 .. but if it only supports the 1066Mhz front side bus then the Q6600 is as good as it gets.

Bang per buck still goes to the Q6600 .. and I wouldn't really wanna spend more than say 20 on a 'Core" processor these days .. not to mention the Q6600 is supposed to overclock very well, dunno about the Q9650.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:21:58 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 05:40:16 pm »
Yup. The manual says, "System Bus 1600/1333/1066/800 MHz"

Gotta love these high-end Seasonic PSs (SS-750KM3), eh what?  First time I've opened the box...

The PS comes in a velvet bag, like a bottle of Scotch. And, the cords are in a partitioned ballistic nylon bag, that folds in half.

I L-O-V-E Seasonic   :-*

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:50:45 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 07:18:53 pm »
w00T! Number 5 is alive (Peppermint 9 64bit ISO stick)  :)

Unsecured Intel CPU fan laying loose on the chip - Dell 17" display - PCI VGA card from 1996, blah, blah, blah. Typical bench build stuff.

It's game-on, now...

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
peppermint@peppermint ~ $ inxi -CDMGSfmxxxz && inxi -ixxxz
System:    Host: peppermint Kernel: 4.15.0-23-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: N/A info: xfce4-panel dm: lightdm Distro: Peppermint Nine
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5Q PRO TURBO v: Rev 1.xx serial: N/A
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: 0602 date: 08/04/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E7500 (-MCP-)
           arch: Penryn rev.10 cache: 3072 KB bmips: 11733
           clock speeds: min/max: 1603/2936 MHz 1: 1796 MHz 2: 1600 MHz
           CPU Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov constant_tsc
           cpuid cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts est flexpriority fpu fxsr ht
           lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor msr mtrr nopl nx pae pat pbe pdcm pebs pge
           pni pse pse36 pti rep_good sep ss sse sse2 sse4_1 ssse3 syscall tm tm2
           tpr_shadow tsc vme vmx vnmi xsave xtpr
Memory:    Using dmidecode: root required for dmidecode
Graphics:  Card: S3 Graphics 86c375 [ViRGE/DX] or 86c385 [ViRGE/GX]
           bus-ID: 05:01.0 chip-ID: 5333:8a01
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: vesa (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev)
           Resolution: 800x600@0.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
           version: 3.3 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5 (compat-v: 3.0) Direct Render: Yes
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 15.7GB (12.5% used)
           ID-1: USB /dev/sda model: Cruzer_U size: 15.7GB serial: <filter> temp: 0C
Network:   Card: Qualcomm Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet
           driver: ATL1E port: cc00 bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1969:1026
           IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
           WAN IP: <filter>
           IF: enp1s0 ip-v4: <filter> ip-v6-link: <filter>
peppermint@peppermint ~ $
[close]

This mobo came with a 'free' Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E7500 pre-installed. I think they go for (like) $5.00 USD on eBay, so if I burn it up - oh, well. I just greased it up, laid an old Intel cooler on top, and away we go - it's showtime. Er... don't act like you've never done this before  ;)

BTW, the Seasonic PS is loafing around, cool as a cucumber . The fan isn't even spinning. Its instruction book said this is normal, "WARNING: there is nothing wrong with your power supply." Evidently, the fan only spins when you first start the machine, then later - only if it's needed.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:34:17 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 07:23:05 pm »
Aren't computers fun?  ;D

Depends when you ask ;)

Definitely not today... grrrr    :-\
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 03:19:05 am »
Well, my 'new' mobo has been playing Selena videos on YouTube for the past 24 hours, and it hasn't hiccuped yet, so I went ahead, took aim, and pulled the trigger.

While I was burning it in, on the bench, I started searching for a suitable video card. I started at the top and quickly worked my way down.

The new gamer cards looked interesting... until I started investigating them more closely. OMG! One of the rigs being demonstrated on YT was consuming 866 watts, as measured on a digital meter. They were wearing the results like a badge of honor. I thought the old P4 Extreme game machine (that I'm replacing) was power hungry - 225 watts at idle.

After hours, and hours (and hours) of soul searching - and all things considered - I decided to go with the same EVGA GT 700 Series cards that I've been running in my Dell Desktop machines, the past year or two. The problem then became finding one.

I probably spent 10 hours, online, looking for the nVidia GT 730 card that I wanted. People must have got wise to them, and they were sold out everywhere I looked. Basically, there are two different designs going on here - the highly desirable models with 2048MB of GDDR5 memory, and... everything else. And, the 2048MB GDDR5 cards were no where to be found.

Well, I should qualify that statement. Early on, in my quest, I found three of them for sale for $250-$325 USD each. Hello?!?! That worried me to no end, and made me feel a bit desperate and more determined than ever to find one.

The last place I checked was the official EVGA website. Boom! I snatched a EVGA GeForce GT 730 2G-P3-3733-KR (2048 MB GDDR5) for $73.00 USD shipped w/3-year warranty. Guess I should have checked there first, but who would have guessed  ::)

While all of that was going on, I was monitoring Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 prices on eBay. There was only about a $5.00 USD spread on these CPUs - $40-$45. It didn't matter if you ordered it from China and patiently waited for it to clear customs, or spent weeks in bidding wars. The prices were basically the same.

About an hour after I ordered the video card that I bagged, the AI bot at eBay sent me an email - "Hey, we see you're looking for an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 CPU. Check this out. We love you. Click here." That damn bot read my mind perfectly. It found me an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3GHz 12BM/1333Mhz SLB8W CPU for $39.00 w/FS, from a Top Seller in Wisconsin, with 99.7% Positive feedback on 5200+ customer reviews.

Continuing...

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 04:43:55 am »
I'm glad you were able to bag a good graphics card and not pay too much.

Nice snag on the CPU too.

The new gamer cards looked interesting... until I started investigating them more closely. OMG! One of the rigs being demonstrated on YT was consuming 866 watts, as measured on a digital meter. They were wearing the results like a badge of honor.

People are stupid. They equate wattage with power. In reality, it does have to do with power, but not the type of power they're talking about. All it means is how much literal power the card draws.

In reality, they're probably trying to justify those 1200W PSUs someone told them they were stupid for buying. :P

It used to be Radeon cards were more power hungry, but I guess Nvidia has caught up with them. ::)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 04:08:24 pm »
You are NOT going to believe this, but...

I stopped at a Goodwill Thrift Store today (affectionately referred to as Willy's. hereafter).

Willy's is a great place to find older electronics - $1.99 Dell keyboards - $24.99 Keurig Coffee makers - stuff like that.

If one is a regular Willy's shopper, you know that they keep all the 'good stuff' in glass display cases, next to the checkout stands. I always check to see what's in there, before leaving a Willy's. And, I've scored some incredible finds.

Guess what I found, today?!?! A mint-condition Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video Card - $400.00 (new)  :o

Guest what I paid... $19.99 USD out the door. Actually, $20.00 - the cashier asked me if I would like to donate a penny.

Runs like a champ on Peppermint 9 (17" Dell display). It booted right up - it's quiet - and the Seasonic PS  fan still isn't spinning.

Here are some pics - excuse the mess - That's how bench building looks...  :P

Continuing...