Choose style:

Author Topic: (Bug report) Desktop icon position resets after wallpaper is changed: workaround  (Read 406 times)

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin
I've been testing Pmint 9 Respin 2 in a VM. Kind of taste testing, if you will.
Minor bug with the desktop icons, as the title suggests. I enabled the Computer, Home, and Recycle icons via dconf. Prob is, their positions on the desktop are reset every time I make alterations to the wallpaper. Theming aside, the install is relatively vanilla. I also noted the same bug during a live session. I'm just wondering if this bug can be reproduced on other systems? I've yet to install or test this release on physical hardware. Still have an old pmint 8 partition on SSD that hasn't been booted in a year (long story, busy college student lol)
Screenshot examples below:
In the first image, my trash icon has been manually positioned to the bottom right corner. The second screenshot was taken after switching the wallpaper. The icon has been re-positioned to its default position.

Update:
Just got home and did some further testing. I was trying to configure Nitrogen (the default wallpaper manager) to use separate images across 2 monitors. This was easily accomplished after creating a launcher for
Code: [Select]
nitrogen --force-setter=xinerama
Interesting enough, managing wallpapers this way does not invoke the aforementioned anomaly  :-\

Love the distro. Just thought I'd put this out in the open for reference.
Many thanks

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)

Perhaps its just resentful of me dressing it up to more closely resemble that 'other' mint? ;) 
Theme was generated via oomox, GTK2 resources and matching xfwm4 borders borrowed from the original Shiki-WIse/Gnome Colors set (available in repos)
[close]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:03:13 pm by docR »
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Hmm, this
sounds pretty cool, I wasn't even aware it had that option .. thanks for that :)

Is there any downside for single monitor setups (or non-nvidia setups) ? .. what I'm asking is should I just make the default launcher run that command ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline tinkereR

• Consciously Eclectic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 Respin
Hmm, this
sounds pretty cool, I wasn't even aware it had that option .. thanks for that :)

Is there any downside for single monitor setups (or non-nvidia setups) ? .. what I'm asking is should I just make the default launcher run that command ?

I randomly found this command on a forum after some googling. I wasn't aware of the option until now either. It seems to behave with single and dual-monitor configs alike, which is nice.
There is a caveat, however. After quitting the session (rebooting/logging out), the wallpaper is reverted to the last wallpaper applied via stock nitrogen/wallpaper manager, which is odd  :-\
I'm wagering this conflict can be resolved... somehow
Would be awesome to have this as the pmint default.

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)
Since I managed to flag down the Big Cheese, I'm wondering if you could take a looksy here:
https://github.com/TomaszGasior/gtk3-mushrooms/wiki/Screenshots
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/gtk3-classic-gtk3-mushrooms-gtk3-with-my-own-patches/30230/41
I tested Manjaro XFCE not long ago. I don't care for Arch myself as I feel rolling distros are too unpredictable. Part of the reason I dislike Win10. I'm pretty busy nowdays, so I can't bother to babysit my computer and image clone it every week, haha. What I did find rather intriguing are the GTK patches they've applied to their XFCE edition. Really does boost system-wide continuity by a factor of 10. I'm wondering if these patches can be inspected, and perhaps applied to Peppermint?
[close]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:33:41 pm by docR »
i7 4790k @4.4 GHz, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, HyperX  x2 8 GB (16 GB) DDR3, Adata SU650 240 GB, 2 TB WD Green 5400 RPM, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Hmmmm .... the Big Cheese .... could it be that we have a new moniker for PCNetSpec (aka PCNeverSleeps)?  :D

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
I'll look through the nitrogen code when I have time.

Odd that:
man nitrogen
doesn't mention that option :-\

[EDIT]

Ahh:
nitrogen --help
does:-
nitrogen --help
Usage:
--force-setter=[arg]
Force setter engine: xwindows, xinerama, gnome
--head=[arg]
Select xinerama/multihead display in GUI, 0..n, -1 for full
--help, -h
Prints this help text.
--no-recurse
Do not recurse into subdirectories
--restore
Restore saved backgrounds
--save
Saves the background permanently
--set-auto
Sets the background to the given file (auto)
--set-centered
Sets the background to the given file (centered)
--set-color=[arg]
background color in hex, #000000 by default
--set-scaled
Sets the background to the given file (scaled)
--set-tiled
Sets the background to the given file (tiled)
--set-zoom
Sets the background to the given file (zoom)
--set-zoom-fill
Sets the background to the given file (zoom-fill)
--sort=[arg]
How to sort the backgrounds. Valid options are:
* alpha, for alphanumeric sort
* ralpha, for reverse alphanumeric sort
* time, for last modified time sort (oldest first)
* rtime, for reverse last modified time sort (newest first)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:55:33 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec