Choose style:

Author Topic: New to PepperMint, found a few (minor) issues  (Read 321 times)

Offline inventiv.us

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
New to PepperMint, found a few (minor) issues
« on: January 09, 2019, 03:36:27 pm »
Some of these might just be a problem between the keyboard and the chair, while others might be bugs or something else.
So, not sure on where to categorize everything, I'd like to just make a few bullet points of things that I have uncovered, after installing PepperMint9 (respin) onto my laptop.  (it's a quad-core with 6gb of ram).

1. (edit: resolved (see second&third posts))
  IMHO, this optional feature should be hard-coded into the OS, as it's a usability issue that affects everyone.  0.1-0.2sec works well and is not disruptive).
I find myself frequently thrown out of a text/compose box, when I accidentally graze the touchpad - or it moves the cursor and text inserts within text already written, mixing things up.

I did see a workaround posted on this forum, which I tried forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,1239.msg10700.html but it really doesn't do the job well.  It is far too delayed-reaction. At the proposed 2.5 seconds delay it was way too slow to respond.  It says it works in 0.5sec increments, so I tried with 0.5sec, and it was still too laggy.  I tried setting it to 0sec, and then I just didn't get my pointer back at all.
So I am asking, is there a way, for the pointer to de-activate while typing, and to return in a more responsive manner?
EDIT: this now works in 0.1sec increments, and works well with 0.2 sec.

2.  (edit: updated)  Apps (launchers?) appearing in the wrong places, not at all, or duplicates (with one dead leading nowhere).
Adding a program/app icon to the TaskBar:  I installed an app (Wire messenger), and went to add it to the Panel. But instead of placing it's icon beside FireFox where the apps go, it placed the icon on top of the time (clock) on the far-right.   No big deal - I just moved it to the proper place.  But I suspect that it is not supposed to be acting that way.  I also ended up with 2 launch menu entries, one of which I can't get rid of.  I removed Wire and tried with the other installer, but it now gives an error message.
Another app, PhotoScape, ended up under a new category all by itself, "other", despite it being in the graphics section of the installer.
Question: What section of settings - or what app - is used to correct or change/customize where an app launcher appears?
Question2:  Is there an "uninstaller" app, that can be used to hunt down and locate orphaned files, entries, etc, and remove those?

3. (edit: answered)  Where does one adjust the sensitivity/"magnet" to grab the edge (or bottom-right corner) of a window, in order to re-size it?  I find that you need to be precise almost to the pixel, to make a successful grab.

4. Software vs. Software Manager.  I was surprised to find, in addition to the "Software Manager", another one called just "Software".  I've found many (but not all) of the same programs in both.  Where a problem arises, is that one doesn't detect what has been done in the other.   If we install a program with one, we can also install it with the other (and the other provides an "install" button, not showing it is already present), and end up with 2 icons.  I suspect this can potentially cause problems on installs, uninstalls, configuration files, etc.   I also suspect it may be possible to inadvertently install a program, already present on the system, a second time with one of these tools.  I say this last part, because I have just come to notice that I have a few programs with 2 icons in the same menu, but am quite certain I didn't install them twice, but only once  (except for Wire, which I had installed with each, which got me to notice that one doesn't detect the other).   I know that there must be a reason for both tools to exist - if you can't find it in one, it may be in the other - however, will I remember, months from now, what I installed with what?  And will I always remember to check in stereo, before installing something?  Not sure I will.

5. There seems to be a bug in the installer.
5.1 Install and disk partitions selection:  Installing Peppermint alongside Windows, with a second (data) drive present, would show only one out of two hard drives, in it's selection menu. 
I had an OS drive, and a data drive.  the OS drive had 3 partitions: Linux (ext4), Win (ntfs), swap.  Windoze7 was present on the OS drive.
The installer tried to force me to install onto an available partition on the data drive, and not show the OS drive as an option. 
I had to actually physically  remove the data drive, in order or it to offer me options to install onto that one.
But then,
5.2 it forced me to split the ext4 for Linux into 2 partitions.  It's good practice to force users to have data on a separate partition (I always did that) - but in this case, not allowing to choose what drive to use for the install and forcing the splitting of the partition, not only takes away one of the 4 allowable main partitions, but wastes some GB, and makes the Linux partition smaller than expected/calculated/wanted.

Other than that, a very nice distro. The ICE SSB manager is definitely a nice addition, as well as some other nice tools - are what helped me make up my mind on what distro to choose this time returning to LInux (I've used Mint and Bodhi briefly in the past).   I also liked that when you go into settings, and ask xfce to take over control of the screen brightness, you actually get a better control over it than with other OSes (Windoze included).  And the sound too - you can set it to 150% and it will actually remember that.  Nice little touches that are very much appreciated.  They are small things, but most OSes get them wrong.  And the attention to little details can sometimes make the difference between a great experience or one filled with minor little irritants.

Very sorry should any of my points turn out to seem obvious to some of you, and if I merely overlooked some controls.   I assure you that I searched through the settings everywhere I could find/think of, before asking. 
Thanks for reading and for your help.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:31:57 pm by inventiv.us »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: New to PepperMint, found a few (minor) issues
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 04:53:45 pm »
1) have you tried one tenth of a second .. as in
Code: [Select]
syndaemon -i 0.1 -d
otherwise you're going to need to start messing with xinput/synclient psoperty settings (such as finger pressure settings) .. which is isn't fun.

2) That's normal behaviour .. how would it know where you want the launcher ?

3) I'm afraid this is a limitation of Gtk2 (as still currently used by the xfwm window manager in Xfce), the only way in Gtk2 to increase the window grab area is to increase the window border size in the theme itself. The workaround is to hit Alt+Space then R .. this will automatically grab the window edge for you.

4) Okay a little information is required here
a) When adding/removing software in any of the package managers .. it BU be reflected in the other package managers.
b) There are 3 types of packages now .. native (.deb) packagess, snap packages, and flatpak packages .. snap's and flatpak's are conainerised applications where the container includes all the softwares dependencies .. so with snaos and flatpaks it's possible to have multiple versions of the same software installed (eg. gimp 2.8 and gimp 2.10). It would also be possible to have instances of the SAME software version one as a native .deb, one as a snap, and one as a flatpak. So if you have the same application installed twice you likely have both a .deb and a snap/flatpak version installed.
The reason we have 3 graphical package managers -
i) Synaptic is terrific for seasoned users but not so much for beginners, it doesn't handle snaps/flatpaks, but it does list ALL available native packages available in the repositories.
ii) mintinstall (Software Manager) does not handle snaps, but it does handle flatpaks and it lists ALL available native packages available in the repositories.
iii) gnome-software (Software) handles both snaps and flatpaks, but it does NOT list ALL available native packages available in the repositories.
so as you can see there is currently no available graphical package manager that offers all options. But you're wrong that they don't reflect changes made in the others (when you're talking about the same package type).
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline inventiv.us

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 06:17:58 pm »
Edit to OP: 
I've removed the word "Synaptic" for clarity (as I wasn't really intending to discuss it - only mentioned it as one of the ones that were available), and I've added a point 5, regarding my install experience which came to mind after posting.

@pcNetSpec:

1. No, I have not tried 0.1sec, because it was clearly stated that it works in 0.5sec increments.
  OK, I tried it out, and at 0.1 it works and is much more responsive.  It seems to work very well in a brief test.  Thank you!  :)   I will now do the other steps, so that the OS remembers.
IMHO, this optional feature should be hard-coded into the OS, as it's a usability issue that affects all.

2. it already has a selection of app launchers bundled together in their own dedicated section on the left. 
Whereas on the right, it is more for statuses and feedback (sound status, wifi/connection status, battery status, the time...).
So it could stand to be reasoned that it be logical to bundle user-added app launchers together with the other user-oriented app launchers. 
Besides, it did not place the icon beside the clock.  It placed it on top (not above, but over it, covering the clock).

4.  Perhaps this may help.  Here are some of the packages that appear twice in the menu:
under Graphics:    FreeCAD (with icon) , FreeCAD (without icon)
under Internet:     Wire .  Wire  (I manually added an icon to one, but see 2)
If both of those are available in only one version, we may have unwanted behavior on our hands.

I presume that if I see an app in more than one category, that is normal.
However, I must concede that things do get a little confusing regarding software installers and updaters: 
We see under System: Software, Software Manager, Update Manager, (and Synaptic Package Manager) -   
and under Settings:  Software&Updates, Software Manager, Update Manager, (and Synaptic Package Manager). 
Anyways, this last part isn't a "problem" - just saying it looks confusing to a newcomer. 
It all seems like a good way to keep end-users on their toes and wanting to pay attention.  ;)
I hope they don't take this the wrong way - it's just intended as feedback on how this can present itself to a newcomer.  :)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:41:49 pm by inventiv.us »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 06:57:58 pm »
2) They aren't in a "section", they were just moved there .. each launcher can be moved wherever you want it, but a;ways appear on the right when firsst added .. this is just the way the xfce-panel works I'm afraid.
The system tray icons are different, they are grouped together in the system tray (kinda section).

4) Okay let's see what you have installed... what's the output from
dpkg -l | grep cad
and
dpkg -l | grep wire
and
snap list
and
flatpak list

BTW, I'd agree it's a little confusing at first .. hell it still confuses me .. it's just that we find ourselves in a transition period in Linux where there is the original native .deb packages, and 2 competing newcomers (snaps/flatpaks), personally I'm no fan of the newcomers and would have been happy leave them out, but I'm aware some people like the idea of containerised apps and the ability to have more than one version (even at the expense of disk space and dependency efficcency)  .. so we had to support them ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline inventiv.us

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 02:30:18 am »
2) They aren't in a "section", they were just moved there .. each launcher can be moved wherever you want it, but a;ways appear on the right when firsst added .. this is just the way the xfce-panel works I'm afraid.
The system tray icons are different, they are grouped together in the system tray (kinda section).

4) Okay let's see what you have installed... what's the output from
BTW, I'd agree it's a little confusing at first .. hell it still confuses me .. it's just that we find ourselves in a transition period in Linux where there is the original native .deb packages, and 2 competing newcomers (snaps/flatpaks), personally I'm no fan of the newcomers and would have been happy leave them out, but I'm aware some people like the idea of containerised apps and the ability to have more than one version (even at the expense of disk space and dependency efficcency)  .. so we had to support them ;)

2. OK, sorry, maybe I wasn't using the right terms.  I was universally referring to the "task bar" as they call it in windozeworld, and meant the left vs right sides of that.  Alright, that's how Xfce does it, thats ok.  I thought it was a bug.

4. OK, for the other stuff, here is the output, in the same order as was requested:

dpkg -l | grep cad
ii  freecad                                                     0.16.6712+dfsg1-1ubuntu2                        amd64        Extensible Open Source CAx program
ii  libcroco3:amd64                                             0.6.12-2                                        amd64        Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) parsing and manipulation toolkit
ii  librecad                                                    2.1.2-1                                         amd64        Computer-aided design (CAD) system
ii  librecad-data                                               2.1.2-1                                         all          Computer-aided design (CAD) system -- shared files
ii  python-cssutils                                             1.0.2-1                                         all          CSS Cascading Style Sheets parser and builder
dpkg -l | grep wire
ii  crda                                                        3.18-1build1                                    amd64        wireless Central Regulatory Domain Agent
ii  iw                                                          4.14-0.1                                        amd64        tool for configuring Linux wireless devices
ii  libnma0:amd64                                               1.8.10-2ubuntu1                                 amd64        library for wireless and mobile dialogs (libnm version)
ii  rfkill                                                      2.31.1-0.4ubuntu3.2                             amd64        tool for enabling and disabling wireless devices
ii  wireless-regdb                                              2018.05.09-0ubuntu1~18.04.1                     all          wireless regulatory database
ii  wireless-tools                                              30~pre9-12ubuntu1                               amd64        Tools for manipulating Linux Wireless Extensions
snap list
Name        Version    Rev   Tracking  Publisher          Notes
bitwarden   1.12.0     16    stable    bitwarden✓         -
core        16-2.36.3  6130  stable    canonical✓         core
photoscape  latest     6     stable    merlijn-sebrechts  -
wire        3.3.2872   14    stable    snapcrafters       -
flatpak list
Ref                                                Options       
org.freecadweb.FreeCAD/x86_64/stable               system,current
org.photoqt.PhotoQt/x86_64/stable                  system,current
org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg/x86_64/1.6         system,runtime
org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs/x86_64/18.08 system,runtime
org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/18.08              system,runtime
org.kde.KStyle.Adwaita/x86_64/5.11                 system,runtime
org.kde.Platform/x86_64/5.11                       system,runtime

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:45:03 am by inventiv.us »

Offline inventiv.us

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 06:21:05 am »

4) Okay a little information is required here
a) When adding/removing software in any of the package managers .. it BU be reflected in the other package managers.
b) There are 3 types of packages now .. native (.deb) packagess, snap packages, and flatpak packages .. snaps and flatpaks are conainerised applications where the container includes all the software's dependencies .. so with snaps and flatpaks it's possible to have multiple versions of the same software installed (eg. gimp 2.8 and gimp 2.10). It would also be possible to have instances of the SAME software version one as a native .deb, one as a snap, and one as a flatpak. So if you have the same application installed twice you likely have both a .deb and a snap/flatpak version installed.

The reason we have 3 graphical package managers -
i) Synaptic is terrific for seasoned users but not so much for beginners, it doesn't handle snaps/flatpaks, but it does list ALL available native packages available in the repositories.
ii) mintinstall (Software Manager) does not handle snaps, but it does handle flatpaks and it lists ALL available native packages available in the repositories.
iii) gnome-software (Software) handles both snaps and flatpaks, but it does NOT list ALL available native packages available in the repositories.
so as you can see there is currently no available graphical package manager that offers all options. But you're wrong that they don't reflect changes made in the others (when you're talking about the same package type).

Two quick questions please:

When you wrote:  "it BU be reflected" was that your auto-correct at work?  if not, what is meant by "BU"?

When you say "native packages", you always mean .deb right?

So if I understand correctly:
Synaptic for .deb
Software Manager (from Mint) for .deb + flatpaks
Software (gnome) for some .deb , + flatpaks , + snaps 
      (if "some .deb" is correct, may one assume that older outdated apps are dropped, but the interesting ones are (mostly) all there?)
      If that's the case, we can probably use "Software" as our go-to, and check the others when we can't find something. 

Or is there simply no single installer that has (mostly) everything?

BTW, that 0.1sec is working great!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:42:21 am by inventiv.us »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 07:03:49 am »
Hmm, dunno what happened there, that was meant to say "WILL BE reflected  in the other packages managers"

Yes by "native packages" I mean .deb packages .. these do NOT include their dependencies but they do include a control file that LISTS their dependencies, dpkg (the backend for deb package management) will then automatically pull in those dependencies if they aren't already installed.

snaps and flatpaks come containerised with all their dependencies, so if 2 flatpaks applications require the same library, you're going to have 2 copies of that library.

When you say "native packages", you mean .deb right?  Or were you referring to the application program, including ALL of it's [components / dependencies / sub-assembly] being individually listed too? (again, hope I'm using the right words) If that is the case, can I conclude that I'll find everything I need in Software?
Or is there no single installer that has everything? (without necessarily listing all the sub-components/dependencies of an app)

Ah, now you're starting to see our dilemma .. you'd **think** that because "Software" (gnome-software) supports all of deb/snap/flatpak it'd be the ideal and only one necessary right ?
Well no, Gnome/Ubuntu decided it was to be a 'curated' software center, so it doesn't list a lot of things .. sure most (but not all) of what it doesn't display are things like libraries, but try searching for "peppermint-office-pack" in gnome-software .. it won't display, yet it will in mintinstall and synaptic.

Another downside to gnome-software .. from a cold boot (never having started gnome-software try looking at your RAM usage, then start gnome-software, then close gnome-software in the normal way .. now check your RAM usage again. You'll see that for no good reason gnome-software started a daemon running that is using a TON of memory, this will continue to run until you log off/on or reboot. To stop this happening you need to close gnome-software not from the top-RIGHT X button, but by clicking the top-LEFT button then selecting "Quit". For this reason I wouldn't have included gnome-software at all b ut then we'd not have had support for snaps (other than from the command line).

BTW, dunno what's going on with "wire" which you have installed as a snap .. but you appear to have freecad installed as both a .deb and a flatpak
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:06:52 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline inventiv.us

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Revisiting #2.
Regarding the 2nd Wire entry in the menu:
Software Manager showed it as NOT installed.   
SynapticPM showed a version 1.0rc as NOT installed (good because that is seriously outdated).   
Software was showing it as installed. 

Right-click on the duplicate launcher in the menu, doesn't actually offer any removal options, so instead I edited it to something similar to this:  ice-firefox https //app°wire°com/  (inspired by looking at the Skype launcher in the menu)

But I'm still hoping to get rid of any lingering files or entries or the dead launcher, so I uninstalled Wire (from Software), and then reinstalled it with SoftwareManager this time.  But that did NOT add it to the menu anywhere.  I rebooted, it's still not showing.   
I was able to launch it by opening "Software", and clicking on Launch in there. 
That placed the icon for it, in the section with the battery and the clock, instead of among the list of running apps (alongside firefox, etc.).  Why?
Because no launcher (menu entry - hope I'm using the correct vocabulary) was created, and I don't know how, I uninstalled it again, wanting to reinstall.  But now it won't install at all, and Software Manager gives an error message.

Other app mis-categorized in the start menu:
Another app that I installed, PhotoScape, got placed in "other", instead of in the "graphics" section. 
How do I change it's location?  Right-click on it shows no options for that.

Is there a tool that I should know about, for changing the location of items(launchers?) in the menu, for removing dead ones, and for moving mis-categorized ones (or just redoing according to user-preference)?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:11:56 am by inventiv.us »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:11:59 am »
There is a menu editor in Peppermint 9 .. right-click the "Menu" button and select "Edit Applications" .. but it's not super intuitive when it comes to changing menu categories.

So I tend to edit them manually .. we'll get to this in a bit.

Wire seems to be available as all 3 snap=3.3 flatpak=3.5 deb=1.0

PhotoScape is not (AFAIK) in the default repos .. so I'm gonna assume it's a snap of flatpak ?

What's the output from
snap list
and
flatpak list
again.

Right-click on the duplicate launcher in the menu, doesn't actually offer any removal options, so instead I edited it to something similar to this:  ice-firefox https //app°wire°com/  (inspired by looking at the Skype launcher in the menu)

That was completely wrong .. the Exec line you chose was for an SSB which is an online application .. as I said, we'll get to manually editing launchers later.

[EDIT]

Okay seems the PhotoScape author didn't add ANY category to his applications launcher .. in the absence of a stated category an application will be listed under "Other".

The Fix .. add a category to it's launcher

Open a terminal and run:
gksudo xed /usr/share/applications/snap-launchers/photoscape_photoscape.desktop
a file should open with these contents
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=photoscape
Exec=env BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/photoscape_photoscape.desktop /snap/bin/photoscape
Icon=/snap/photoscape/6/meta/gui/photoscape.png
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
StartupWMClass=PhotoScape.exe
Instead, make it read:-
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=photoscape
Exec=env BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/photoscape_photoscape.desktop /snap/bin/photoscape
Icon=/snap/photoscape/6/meta/gui/photoscape.png
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
StartupWMClass=PhotoScape.exe
Categories=Graphics;
SAVE the file, and exit the text editor.

Now, because it's a snap package you'll need to either log off/on, reboot, or restart the panel before the changes will be applied to the menu .. to restart the panel
xfce4-panel -r

PhotoScape should now be in the "Graphics" menu categgory.

[EDIT 2]

Arrrgh .. did I mention how much i f*cking hate snaps and flatpaks .. not only do they take up tons of room and allow third parties to package pre-compiled proprietary binary executables without the source code which is a MAJOR security sh*tstorm waiting to happen (oh wait, it already did happen with snaps silently installing crypto miners), but they scatter launchers all over the damn system making answering questions like this MUCH more difficult.

This damn PhotoScape snap turns out to be a Windows application coming with its own WINE wrapper .. so it has to install wine and a TON of other dependencies .. would have been nice if it told you that BEFORE installation .. only on first run do you find out it's gonna pull in a butt tone of other stuff that's going to be bloody hard to get rid of
(I'll put money on it that uninstalling the PhotoScape snap doesn't remove all the WINE crud it pulled in leaving orphaned stuff lying around with no easy way to get rid ::))

Why the f*ck do we need this "universal package" b*llocks in the first place? .. Linux was uber-secure and doing just fine before it, then along comes some idiot who figured "I know, let's get more Windows like so third parties such as Adobe might release their software on Linux" .. well that would still have been a sh*t argument even if it worked, but where's the Adobe interest eh?
(all the £$%^ing downsides, and the upside is nowhere to be seen)

Sorry .. rant over, I just had to....

This is NOT me having a go at you inventiv.us, just me having a rant about snaps/flatpaks in general :)

Did I mention I don't like snaps/flatpaks ? :))
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:43:30 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Customized Cowboy Builds
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 04:14:29 pm »

Ah... maybe  8)

Offline MNFrozenfish

• Smile! --- Why not?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin-64 bit
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 04:24:03 pm »

Ah... maybe  8)

I think I may have read something to that effect as well, once or twice. :-\

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 04:46:40 pm »
LOL, just checkin :))

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline inventiv.us

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 09:14:47 pm »
I was able to correct the PhotoScape launcher's location in the menu, using that tool, MenuLibre, that you recommended.
Indeed, it's user-friendliness is perfectible.  But thanks.  Just what I needed.
I'd go ahead and do the terminal thing - but since that worked, it's redundant.

Wire seems to be available as all 3 snap=3.3 flatpak=3.5 deb=1.0
In the case of Wire, you want the absolute latest version, always. It's a high-security strong encryption messenger that the forces of evil are constantly trying to crack into.  So, despite how we feel about Flatpaks, Wire is an exception, and it's not a bad thing that it comes packages that way: they need to make sure it's secure, and control that no external updates introduce new vulnerabilities.
BTW, I can now launch Wire by opening gSoftware or mSoftwareManager, Installed Programs,
scrolling down in the list to find Wire, and pressing the Launch button from there.  Works great!   
>:( 

What's the output from snap list  and  flatpak list  again.

It changed slightly:  Wire is now the Flatpak (version 3.5 , more recent).
snap list
Name        Version     Rev   Tracking  Publisher          Notes
bitwarden   1.12.0      16    stable    bitwarden✓         -
core        16-2.36.3   6130  stable    canonical✓         core
photoscape  latest      6     stable    merlijn-sebrechts  -
xnviewmp    0.90-snap1  3     stable    vs                 -

flatpak list 
Ref                                                Options       
com.wire.WireDesktop/x86_64/stable                 system,current
org.freecadweb.FreeCAD/x86_64/stable               system,current
org.photoqt.PhotoQt/x86_64/stable                  system,current

(I wonder why it says "com.wire", instead of "wire.com"?)

That was completely wrong .. the Exec line you chose was for an SSB which is an online application .. as I said, we'll get to manually editing launchers later.
I was referring to their web/browser version, not the App.

This damn PhotoScsape snap turns out to be a Windows application coming with its own WINE wrapper .. so it has to install wine and a TON of other dependencies .. would have been nice if it told you that BEFORE installation .. only on first run do you find out it's gonna pull in a butt tone of other stuff that's going to be bloody hard to get rid of
(I'll put money on it that uninstalling the PhotoScape snap doesn't remove all the WINE crud it pulled in leaving orphaned stuff lying around with no easy way to get rid ::))

I totally agree with all that you said about flatpaks and snaps - 100% of it.   I now regret having installed PhotoScape.  But there was no warning that it would place an installer into the menu, and that it would be for something wrapped in wine.  Kind of sneaky, if you ask me.

Question:  Is there an "uninstaller" for Linux that would help me remove any mess made by PhotoScape's installer?

I'm also intent on learning/figuring out, what the parameters are, that I need to create a launcher for it using that MenuLibre tool (or menu editor, as you referred to it).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:39:52 am by inventiv.us »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 12:48:12 pm »
(with Wire being an exception where, as I mentioned ealier, it undergoes heavy security testing on all of it's attack surface - so it's imperative that a version

Yeah but if they'd never invented snap/flatpak they'd have kept the .deb version up-to-date ;)
(and you wouldn't have to use 2.1GB of disk space for a single application .. which is INSANE)

There is no need for an "uninstaller", and they never track down everything in Windows anyway.

For native .deb packages the package manager (apt) keeps a running list of installed apps and their dependency trees .. so if you had installed say wire as a deb, all you'd have to do is run:
sudo apt-get remove --purge wire
then clean up any orphaned dependencies with
sudo apt-get autoremove

**thoretically** snaps and flatpaks (being self contained) should be even easier
snap remove wire
or
flatpak remove com.wire.WireDesktop/x86_64/stable
the problem is they've tried to get overly clever with flatpaks and have some kind of shared runtime dependencies .. so I don't know if any of:-

got pulled in as shared runtimes when you installed wiredesktop and are no longer necessary .. and I couldn't tell you if there's a way to find out.

[EDIT]

It would seem:
flatpak remove --unused
is the flatpak equivalent of "apt-get autoremove" .. where it should intelligently remove orphaned runtimes/etc.

[END EDIT]

I have a feeling I've missed some question of other ? .. was it that there's currently no launcher for wire ?

if so, post the output from
ls -l /var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/applications
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:25:57 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline inventiv.us

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 03:51:30 am »
Indeed, Wire isn't showing up in the menu, and I don't know the parameters I need to create a launcher for it (ie: what I should indicate as it's home directory, and any parameters to be included on the command to launch it)

I've reached out to "support", but their form doesn't include Linux (however, in the Browser sub-category does - but that would be for browser on Linux).  Nevertheless, I've outlined the issue and will see if they get back to me.

I do wonder what pulled that kde stuff in... I'd prefer to avoid heavy OS material.  I'm thinking maybe that PhotoScape app did that - I've now removed it.  Found some interesting native apps to check out.  (Fotoxx, Phototonic, gThumb, ...and others I've tried but removed)

Requested output from "ls -l /var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/applications
total 16
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  103 Jan 12 06:25 com.wire.WireDesktop.desktop -> ../../../app/com.wire.WireDesktop/current/active/export/share/applications/com.wire.WireDesktop.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2877 Jan 12 06:25 mimeinfo.cache
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  107 Jan  8 00:36 org.freecadweb.FreeCAD.desktop -> ../../../app/org.freecadweb.FreeCAD/current/active/export/share/applications/org.freecadweb.FreeCAD.desktop
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  101 Jan  9 12:44 org.photoqt.PhotoQt.desktop -> ../../../app/org.photoqt.PhotoQt/current/active/export/share/applications/org.photoqt.PhotoQt.desktop

btw  Thank you for those removal/cleaning instructions. I'll keep those handy. Very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 03:07:46 pm by inventiv.us »