Choose style:

Author Topic: CMOS checksum invalid error and no startup after replacing windows (HP Stream)  (Read 551 times)

Offline hek

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Hi there,

The notebook is a brand new Hp Stream 11 notebook, I dont live in US anymore so there's no warranty etc. etc.

Intel N4000
UHD Graphics
32GB EMMC
4GB SDRAM

I replaced Windows completely, installed Peppermintos, everything was fine for a few days, and then I lost WIFI capabilities, solved with the help of this forum;

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,7894.0.html but around the same time I was having issues with startup; Upon powering on, an invalid CMOS checksum error message appeared before the system booted and I could use it, however Bios would be reset in the process...often the computer would go sleep and I would have to start it again...

Now since my WIFI issue required me to disable Secureboot in BIOS, that meant I was regularly going into BIOS to disable Secureboot to access the WIFI and us the laptop.  At this point there were issues....startup started to require repeatedly powering on; hard resetting the laptop by holding the power button and then hitting ESC to allow me to disable secure boot, this allowed me to work on the laptop for the next couple of days but instead of working on this CMOS issue immediately, I continued to use it and planned to work on that a little later.

Well, current status is no startup, no CMOS error screen, nothing, just black screen. If I hard reset it, there is a flicker of white and then nothing  Lights come on, battery can charge, I've tried turning it on fully charged and from empty to no avail.  Battery is not easily removed, I researched and found a related post;

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1060310/ubuntu-18-04-on-hp-stream-14-suspend-produces-checksum-error

which involves a Kernel update and it seems to work for that user but now I can't access anything so I'm not sure  what I can do... is there any hope? Any directions someone can point me in?  Battery removal etc? 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 02:29:28 pm by hek »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline hek

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I've tried the various keyboard inputs, to try and restore BIOS but nothing is working :-\

I'm at a loss, HP service forum just points to getting the laptop set to customer service because they would say it's a hardware problem but for me this seems quiite a disappointment....as it's brand new and less than 3weeks in use!  Well, it seems I'll continue trying to turn it on, and hopefully get beyond the flicker of light, beyond that, I feel like throwing out of the  window....Im not sure if I made a mistake during the linux installation, it would be good to know for the sake of learning from mistakes...

Thanks

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Linux (or any other software) should not be able to bork a BIOS...

I take it you've tried the reset for HP's without a removable battery
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c01684768#c01684768_nonremovablebatt
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline hek

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Yes, in fact countless times, when I first started having issues I was hard resetting to get the laptop to boot. Since it went to sleep again a couple of days ago I've been attempting what had been working previously up to that point...but alas since then it didnt wake up... good to know it wasnt a linux issue.  previously with windows I was having problems already with the touchpad malfunctioning, freezing etc. this touchpad problem happened once AFTER the installation of linux which suggests this machine has issues.

Well. what to say,  thanks for checking these things.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Maybe just leaving it on (unplugged) till the battery dies will help .. just a thought.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec