Choose style:

Author Topic: New Midori Version  (Read 114 times)

Offline Sunchaser

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 (32-bit)
New Midori Version
« on: January 05, 2019, 09:52:54 am »
I downloaded the dormant version from the Software Manager (version 0.5.11), but when I saw there was a new version, I decided to try it.  I like the speed it runs at on my machine, even though I've been a FF user for awhile now.

At any rate, I've hit some snags in this acquisition process; trying to install it (per instructions here:  https://www.midori-browser.org/download/) via snapd in the terminal results in nothing discernible.  The terminal will tell me it's installed, but I have no way to access it.  So I removed it, and tried to install it by downloading the .tar.gz file. I see a folder saying "midori V. 7", but again, nothing that looks like an executable file.  Do I have to compile midori from this for it to work? 

Sorry for the rambling, I just want to make sure I provide enough info to get a correct answer.

Many Thanks

-M-

EDIT: I think I got it figured out. I just needed to familiarize myself with terminal commands better.  :P
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:05:12 am by Sunchaser »

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Peppermint - Void - NetBSD
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
Re: New Midori Version
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 11:25:29 am »
Yes, I've mentioned it here https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,5610.msg79374.html#msg79374
I've tried it on another distro and it's nice. It consumes half the amount of RAM, compared to Firefox.

Won't work with things that require DRM enabled, though. No Netflix and the likes.
Wouldn't use the older versions!

I've raised an issue on NetBSD's WIP github and the devs have packaged it. I'm waiting for the last version to hit the mirrors and will start using it, can't enable DRM on BSD anyway, so nothing to loose there.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 11:45:53 am »
Code: [Select]
snap install midori
then restart the panel (or log off/on) so it appears in the main menu
Code: [Select]
xfce4-panel -r
It should now be in the menu at:-

Menu > Internet > Midori
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Peppermint - Void - NetBSD
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 01:57:34 pm »