Choose style:

Author Topic: What's happened to Phatch (SOLVED)  (Read 307 times)

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
What's happened to Phatch (SOLVED)
« on: January 03, 2019, 01:17:03 am »
Hi guys

I have a folder full or images all random sizes I want to resize, I used to use Phatch for this although it hasn't worked since 16.04 but nonetheless I thought I'd try it again, but it's no longer in the repos, their website http://photobatch.wikidot.com/ says "click the download link on the homepage" but there is no download link on the homepage or anywhere I can see unless I'm missing the obvious.

I looked for alternatives and the only thing I can find is a GIMP plugin called DBP (Davids Batch Processor) DBP file:///home/graeme/Downloads/dbp-1.1.9/dbp.html but installing that involves compiling from source, which I've never done successfully in my life that said, I downloaded the .tgz file and extracted it but the instructions if you can call it that is as clear as mud.

So my question is does anyone know where I can get Phatch in either .deb, snap, flatpack or appimage, or know of any other alternative application that could batch process multiple image files

Many thanks

Graeme

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:29:37 pm by emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin x64
Re: What's happened to Phatch
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 02:27:34 am »
Hi

Here is a web based program that allegedly does not upload the images.  Might be worth a look

https://bulkresizephotos.com/

Also check out this too

https://guides.wp-bullet.com/batch-resize-images-using-linux-command-line-and-imagemagick/

Regards Zeb...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 02:29:20 am by zebedeeboss »
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P9Respin x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 02:38:40 am »
Thanks zeb

Back to work today   :'( but i'll check them out and get back to you

such a shame about Phatch it's such a great program  :(

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 02:47:59 am »
I found a 17.10 (Artful) build in proposed: https://goo.gl/dKbPzh

Might give that a whirl...

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 12:14:13 pm »
GIMP doesn't need a plugin for batch resizing.

Just go to

Filters > Batch > Batch Process

I'll see if I can figure out phatch though as soon as I get time (if VinDSL's solution doesn't work .. let me know) .. are we talking PM9 64bit ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 12:58:09 pm »
GIMP doesn't need a plugin for batch resizing.

Just go to

Filters > Batch > Batch Process

Not on my version of GIMP (v2.8.22)
What version are you running ?
are we talking PM9 64bit ?

Yes

I've had a quick look at the options zeb & vin put forward the website zeb posted seemed to work well ( an ideal candidate for an SSB) but I just done a quick test, the version of Phatch Vin pointed me to seems to be a cli version only but again I only had a quick look I'm still at work

Many thanks

Graeme

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:01:26 pm by emegra »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 03:35:53 pm »
Hmm, I was looking at Peppermint 8 when I posted that, so GIMP 2.8.16

Whaaaaat, they've got rid of batch processing in GIMP .. whhhhhyyyyyy? :o
(that's insane .. do they think they're Gnome or something?)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 04:59:35 pm »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 00ninja

• nOOb
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P8 R2 (x64), P9 (x64)
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 08:42:39 pm »
that involves compiling from source, which I've never done successfully in my life that said, I downloaded the .tgz file and extracted it but the instructions if you can call it that is as clear as mud.

Another alternative I found that works great is BIMP (Batch Image Manipulation Plugin) for GIMP but it also involves compiling from source. I am no expert but the instructions provided worked like a charm:
https://github.com/alessandrofrancesconi/gimp-plugin-bimp

Might be worth a shot to see if it compiles. It can batch resize, crop, color correction, sharpness. blur, rename, change file format, and more.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 05:12:51 pm »
HI guys

Thank you all for your help & suggestions, https://bulkresizephotos.com/ that zeb suggested was very good and it worked well but it was a little limited as as far as I could see and didn't do format conversions which would be useful also i prefer locally installed applications wherever possible

vins artful Phatch build was as far as I could see a cli version and I would much prefer a GUI for this purpose

00ninjas GIMP plugin would have probably been good But in spite of several previous attempts I've never successfully compiled from source and to be honest I'm lazy and it seems too much like hard work.

XnViewmp as Mark suggested looked like the way to go even though I didn't really want to install another image viewer/organiser or anything heavy, then just purely by accident I came across Converseen while browsing through the Software Manager , I wasn't even looking for a converter or anything in particular.

Converseen is perfect it's exactly what I'm looking for, it's not as fully featured as Phatch but it's certainly easier to use and what it does it does well it will batch resize, rename and reformat to almost any image format imaginable, and it's rapid, I would recommend it to anyone looking for an alternative to Phatch

here's a screenshot

Thank you all for your help & suggestions

Graeme
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:22:33 pm by emegra »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: What's happened to Phatch (SOLVED)
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 06:29:54 pm »
Nice, I'll have to take a look at that if they've removed the batch process tool from GIMP (I used to use that a lot) .. unless of course the plugin is exactly the same thing (?)

At least until someone rewrites/forks phatch to use python-pil instead of python-imaging .. I wouldn't hold your breath though, phatch (on github) doesn't seem to have had any active development in the last 4 years :(
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 06:32:58 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec