Choose style:

Author Topic: Broken Software Update when had to prompt for root password [SOLVED]  (Read 204 times)

Offline Sentinel

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 Respin 2, 9 Live
First of all HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :D

I have been using PM8 smoothly for several years and I tried to update to PM9, looks like it is still working as before but something weird happen to Software Updater.

It is still finding updates to install and showing the shield information icon correctly. however when I check and push the updates to commit, it closes silently back to the tray and after a minute with an empty shield brings the information shield back again without installing anything.

When I push to install I expect to see "gksudo" prompt but does not appears. I made some research and looks like some pipe is broken with PAM/POLKIT. But my linux skills are too newbie to go further.

Can anyone enlighten me!

Cheers!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 04:29:56 pm by Sentinel »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Broken Software Update when had to prompt for root password
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 01:01:11 pm »
Do you get any errors from:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
?

And is any clue given if you run mintupdate from the command line
mintupdate
then attempt to install the updates.

Then if it crashes, is any clue left in the terminal as to why ?

When you say "update to Peppermint 9" .. did you keep a partition/home folder from Peppermint 8 ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Sentinel

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 07:10:10 am »
Thank you PcNetSpec for quick reply.

Update and upgrade from console works well. User account says that needs high privileges and one has to sudo it to perform both update and upgrades.

If I launch mintupdate with gksudo first works from GUI as well.

And I manage to have a manual icon launcher but I have to terminate "update manager" first in order to launch a privileged mintupdate.

I would prefer not to had to do that. So, if at start, GUI manager launches "update manager" I would like to work as spected.  It advises for some critical updates and the user accept to perform that upgrades. But when system has to ask for admin/root password it retires silently to the task bar.

I don't know if there is any log to carv on and how to activate it to debug. Still googling.

In the other hand I supposed that PM8R2 could be upgraded to PM9 so reading a guide to update PM7 to PM8 I could accomplish that same goal. But after starting the do-release-update I read the "Not for PM8 to 9" frase :o.

So I had to recover a lot of things. One of them I feel is this topic.

Thank you for your time!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:13:37 am by Sentinel »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 08:25:52 am »
If you create a new user account on the system, and make that new account an administrator .. does mintupdate work properly in that account ?

Just trying to figure out if it's a problem somewhere in your home folder.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Sentinel

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 04:28:36 pm »
If you create a new user account on the system, and make that new account an administrator .. does mintupdate work properly in that account ?

Just trying to figure out if it's a problem somewhere in your home folder.

Great! :P

Many thanks for the "Enlightment", that was what I was looking for!!!

Not sure how to do this, but here is my solution  :P

When I was going to create a new user to do what PCNetSpec advised I found that users-admin tool was not working as well in the same way "software update" did, so I tried to create a brand new user from CLI

# useradd -m recovery -s /bin/bash  -G sudo,plugdev,sambashare,wireshark,cdrom

After that I tried to login through GUI and I could not do anything else different from the original account.

Back to my account I found in Peppermint Settings Panel, under System Tab, there is an applet called "Startup & Default Applications". Inside this LXSession Settings I found "Automatic Startings" and "PolicyKit Authentication Agent" was  :o unchecked.

So with it checked System update and users-admin prompts again for sudo password.

That sounds noob but always the simplest answer is the right answer.

Now I expect this will help other newbies with that kind of troubles with this topic.

I appreciate your help, thank you very much for your support and patience

Sorry for my english

Yours Sentinel
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 04:32:55 pm by Sentinel »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
Re: Broken Software Update when had to prompt for root password [SOLVED]
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 07:33:49 pm »
PolicyKit Authentication Agent is unticked by default in Peppermint .. but hey if it works it works right :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec