Choose style:

Author Topic: Menu editer for the whisker menu in peppermint (Solved)  (Read 160 times)

Offline kopyguy

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 respin
Menu editer for the whisker menu in peppermint (Solved)
« on: December 29, 2018, 10:44:41 am »
I'm curious about editing the whisker menu in peppermint. I don't want to break anything by removing an application that has dependencies for other applications. But I only want to see what I use. So i figure that i will hide things that I don't want to see. I have played with MenuLibre.

Questions
1. Will menu editing make my desktop unstable.
2. What are other favorite menu editors (why?).
3. Do you bother to edit your menu.
4. Do you ever change categories that your applications live in.
5. Do you leave the menu alone and put your most used applications on a separate panel or dock.

I'm looking forward to some opinions, thanks.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:20:05 am by kopyguy »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Menu editer for the whisker menu in peppermint
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 11:02:36 am »
MenuLibre (as pre-installed in Peppermint 9) will no longer break the menu as it would in previous versions of Peppermint. I't safe to use in Peppermint 9 and the Peppermint 9 Respin.

Other menu editors - we can't guarantee these will be 100% safe in Peppermint, as we've not tested them.

But I'll promise you, you'll nit find a better menu editor than MenuLibre ;)

Answers:-

1) NO, not as long as you're running Peppermint >= 9 and using MenuLibre (WARNING: DO NOT attempt to use MenuLibre or any other GUI menu editor in Peppermint versions prior to 9 .. they WILL break your menu)
2) None .. IMHO there is no better menu editor than MenuLibre anywhere in Linux, not even close.
3) YES, all the time but I usually do it manually .. but MenuLibre is a great option that I've used many time too.
4) YES, doing so with MenuLibre has always worked perfectly for me (again ONLY in Peppermint >= 9)
5) Me personally, I'm not a fan of docks .. there's nothing inherently wrong with them, they're just not my preference
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 11:05:22 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec