Choose style:

Author Topic: ...pondering a desktop upgrade. Wondering if there's any point in it...  (Read 1059 times)

Offline cfx795

• cab driver and computer novice
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7
I have some christmas$$ on Amazon from various sources. I've been thinking about upgrading my desktop system. I guess the real question I have is whether I would notice a difference, given my usage. I've got a 7th generation Celeron in there, right now, and I was thinking about upgrading to an i3-8100. But... I don't game. No video editing, or whatever.  I don't have a particular complaint with the G3930 Celeron. Is there really any point in upgrading?? I stream video, I web surf... stream music. Do you really need a quad-core cpu to do this sort of thing? Or, more to the point, am I likely to notice any improvement, whatsoever?? I thought I'd pose this question to people that actually seem to know what they're talking about on this forum, instead of reading user reviews on amazon or newegg, I feel like most of the folks on there. Well, you said keep it clean, so I digress...

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: ...pondering a desktop upgrade. Wondering if there's any point in it...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 09:18:22 am »
Sure there will be a boost. Everything will be a little faster and snappier. However, for your uses, the noticeable performance boost will be negligible. Dual cores are great for most uses, and your Celeron is basically the previous year's Pentium, which is the year before that's i3. (I think that's basically how Intel processors work, in a nutshell) I looked up the specs on that Celeron G3930 and it looks like a terrific processor.

Bottom line: if you're happy with what you have, I wouldn't upgrade.

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 09:21:18 am »
Sure there will be a boost. Everything will be a little faster and snappier. However, for your uses, the noticeable performance boost will be negligible. Dual cores are great for most uses, and your Celeron is basically the previous year's Pentium, which is the year before that's i3. (I think that's basically how Intel processors work, in a nutshell) I looked up the specs on that Celeron G3930 and it looks like a terrific processor.

Bottom line: if you're happy with what you have, I wouldn't upgrade.

Thanks. This is great feedback, and much in line with some of my own thoughts.

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 10:04:14 am »
I'm running PM7 btw. I had some screen tearing issues with PM8 and 9, so I stuck with 7. I'm very happy with Peppermint 7. I'm away from home, or I'd (inxi?) display my system hardware.  8GB of DDR4 2400. 64GB SSD. It's pretty basic, so there's not a whole lot to talk about. I've built a handful of desktop systems since about 2011 or so, so I've seen the progress into quad, hex and octo-core cpu's, etc. Hyper-threading, etc. I think the very first cpu I had was a single-core AMD Sempron. And I upgraded shortly thereafter to a dual-core Intel chip and, yeah, there was a noticeable difference. But  aside from that, thinking about what I do with my desktop computer, and although it's not particularly sexy or exciting, it's occurred to me that I'm probably a prime candidate for dual-core computing.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 11:46:45 am »
I wouldn't buy anything less than an i3 nowadays, but that said if what you have now does everything YOU require at a speed YOU are happy with, you'll feel like you wasted money when you notice little difference.

For what you do, the biggest speed increase was always going to be an SSD which you already have.

Unless you plan on changing your use case and either starting to game or multitask more , and you're happy with what you have now .. spend it on something else.
(or maybe a bigger SSD .. the more free space on an SSD, the longer they'll last)

Another idea is STORAGE .. data is evrything right ? (hardware can be replaced, data often can't) .. maybe a dual drive NAS, where you can mirror the drives for peace of mind.
(after an SSD, a NAS is now something I absolutely couldn't live without)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 08:00:28 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 12:29:13 pm »
...or maybe a bigger SSD .. the more free space on an SSD, the longer they'll last)

Another idea is STORAGE .. data is evrything right ? (hardware can be replaced, data often can't) .. maybe a dual drive NAS, where you can mirror the drives for peace of mind.
(after an SSD, a NAS is now something I absolutely couldn't live without)

Thanks - I appreciate your perspective. Seems like SSD's have come down in price in the last year or so. I see a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO.... $150 for the SATA model. $170 for the M.2. These things used to be monstrously expensive...

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 08:09:03 pm »
Tell me about it .. Samsung are doing us all a favour with their QVO series :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 08:42:43 am »
Not that I've really ruled anything out. These gift cards are more or less windfalls. I might not come up with any more pressing or vital way to spend my Scrooge McDuck good fortune. PCNetSpec has alluded to longevity of SSD's as it pertains to the sanctity of one's data. I don't really keep a whole lot of data. But still, point taken. I think we've discussed this before, that a 1TB SSD is going to last significantly longer than what I've got, here - 64GB. (At the time, the larger SSD's seemed pricey, and I got this one - Drevo - for about $35) Similarly, if the Celeron cpu seems sufficient right now, what about five years from now? Seven, eight? We'll all be zipping around in flying saucers and living in cloud cities or on the moon, or Mars,  by then, of course... My point is five years from now the Celeron might seem (even to me) underpowered, whereas the quad-core i3... I dunno. Hard to say, but seems unlikely.

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 09:43:25 am »
,,,Celeron is basically the previous year's Pentium, which is the year before that's i3...

Certainly the 8th gen i3's are roughly equivalent to the 7th gen i5's.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 09:54:49 am »
Sounds to me like there's a little devil on your shoulder trying to talk you into it .. you do realise that little devil is YOU right ? .. if you want one, go ahead and buy one ;)

You can never have too much computing horsepower .. even if it's just (as you suggested) futureproofing :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 10:05:59 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 09:59:05 am »
I agree with what PCNetSpec said. If you think it will be a good upgrade, go for it. You can't go wrong with upgrading from a Celeron or Pentium to an i-series processor.

,,,Celeron is basically the previous year's Pentium, which is the year before that's i3...

Certainly the 8th gen i3's are roughly equivalent to the 7th gen i5's.

Yeah, I know. This is my processor:

https://ark.intel.com/products/97147/Intel-Core-i5-7400-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-50-GHz-

Practically identical specs to the one you're considering:

https://ark.intel.com/products/126688/Intel-Core-i3-8100-Processor-6M-Cache-3-60-GHz-

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 10:46:15 am »
Sounds to me like there's a little devil on your shoulder trying to talk you into it .. you do realise that little devil is YOU right ? .. if you want one, go ahead and buy one ;)

You can never have too much computing horsepower .. even if it's just (as you suggested) futureproofing :)

Hah hah. Busted! Yeah, there's the Puritan in me or something, telling me that one can live without extravagances. I guess that's the "angel" on the one shoulder. I think if this was a Warner Bros. cartoon, we'd slap her and tell her to get lost, you ninny! I probably will do the upgrade. I'll need a new mobo for the 8th gen cpu. And I'll probably get a bit more RAM. A motherboard with four slots so that I can make use of my existing DDR4. Maybe a 1TB nvme SSD could come with tax refunds in a couple months.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 04:13:38 pm »
Sounds like a plan....

Devil 7bn - Angel 0
(you'd think she'd have given up by now)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline cfx795

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 03:53:23 pm »
I did, indeed, order the i3 cpu, and a couple 4GB modules of DDR4 2400 for a total of 16GB. Gigabyte B360M motherboard with four RAM slots. Should all arrive Wednesday.

With the next generation of Intel cpu, and slightly upgraded iGPU I'm wondering if it might mitigate the whole issue I was having with screen tearing in PM8 and 9. Although for the time being, I'm perfectly content to stick with Peppermint 7 at least until support expires in... what was it? 2021?

Is this screen tearing very common, does it trace back to this particular kernal of Linux or edition of Ubuntu, etc?? Just curious. Maybe as it interacts with one or another GPU? I never experienced it I don't think until PM8. Or maybe it's the 7th gen Celeron?

I guess if I was more adventurous or devout or something I'd load PM9 and just work through the thing until I conquered it... Am I too much of a PM fair weather fan??

In my defense, I'm completely devoted and sold on PM7!

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 05:30:11 pm »
As far as I know, there's no way to predict when or where screen tearing is going to happen. I've personally had it with Intel, AMD and Nvidia GPUs, on different versions of Linux and different kernels.

Congrats on the new mobo, processor and RAM. That looks like it's going to be a great setup. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 05:32:14 pm by scifidude79 »