Choose style:

Author Topic: Photo widget  (Read 440 times)

Offline Phoenix

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 ;64 bit
Photo widget
« on: December 26, 2018, 05:34:45 pm »
Hi everyone and happy holidays :)

I succeeded to install Peppermint9 2 days ago already, and it continues to runs perfectly. I am always amazed with the beauty and the simplicity of this OS, and how fast it runs on my little laptop. Congrats again to those who built this gem.

I have maybe a silly question. I miss this little widget like the gnome photo frame, you know this kind of diaporama we put on our desktop and shows selected pictures. I don't know, maybe I'm too girly, but I really like that little thing, and I don't find any in the Software store. I searched online and I didn't find anything.
Any ideas or suggestions ?
Thank you very much everyone

Offline Lord Rodin

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Re: Photo widget
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 09:30:40 am »
You can check out ffdiaporama

http://ffdiaporama.tuxfamily.org/?page_id=10472

it is also available through the Synaptic Package Manager

hope this helps

Offline Phoenix

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 ;64 bit
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 06:43:12 pm »
Thank you :)

I tried, but maybe I'm mistaken, it's a tool to make mp4 diaporamas... What I'm looking for is a photo frame widget that shows one pic or random or selected pictures on a corner of my desktop... really like Gnome photoframe

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 06:56:05 pm »
I'm currently trying to figure out what's missing that stops gphotoframe (beta 1) working in 18.04 .. I'm getting python module errors, so it's likely just a missing python dependency.

So far I've gotten it to start and display the photo frame (blank), but as soon as I attempt to open the preferences (to set images, etc.) the preferences dialog crashes .. still working on it.

Maybe there's a more recent version than beta 1 (?)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:59:27 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Lord Rodin

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 10:47:30 am »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 01:49:50 pm »
Okay I can't get this to run "installed", but it will run from it's own directory .. so lets do that .. ie. unpack it to /opt and run it from there.

Open a terminal and run these commands in sequence:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install python-gobject gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-webkit-3.0 python-twisted python-twisted-web python-xdg python-distutils-extra gnome-doc-utils pkg-config python-feedparser python-libproxy gir1.2-gtkclutter-1.0 gir1.2-champlain-0.12 python-numpy python-xstatic-jquery
then
cd /opt
then
sudo wget https://github.com/yendo/gphotoframe/archive/master.zip
then
sudo unzip master.zip
then
sudo mv /opt/gphotoframe-master /opt/gphotoframe
then
cd /opt/gphotoframe
then
sudo cp /opt/gphotoframe/share/com.googlecode.gphotoframe.gschema.xml.in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/com.googlecode.gphotoframe.gschema.xml
then
sudo glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
then
sudo xed /usr/share/applications/gphotoframe.desktop
and when a blank file opens, make it read:-
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Name=Photo Frame
Comment=Show photos on Desktop
GenericName=Image Viewer
Icon=/opt/gphotoframe/share/icons/scalable/apps/gphotoframe.svg
Exec=/opt/gphotoframe/gphotoframe
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Graphics;Viewer;
SAVE the file, and exit the text editor.

You should now find it in the menu at:-

Menu > Graphics > Photo Frame

Note:-

If you want it to autostart, run:
cp -v /usr/share/applications/gphotoframe.desktop ~/.config/autostart/gphotoframe.desktop

or to STOP it from autostarting
rm -v ~/.config/autostart/gphotoframe.desktop
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:43:58 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

inventiv.us

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 12:56:42 pm »
What I'm looking for is a photo frame widget that shows one pic or random or selected pictures on a corner of my desktop... really like Gnome photoframe

@PCNetSpec:
1. Looking at the solution above,  I am wondering: wouldn't/shouldn't gphotoframe appear at least in Synaptic Package Manager - if not in Software Manager as well?  I've stumbled across many gnome apps in there, and would have thought it would be there too.
2. Would installing a "Gnome-specific" (or other WM/DE-speficic) app pull in lots of dependencies that may slow down PepperMint?  (for those who are concerned with efficiency and performance on not-as-new hardware)

@Phoenix:
I haven't found anything that you describe, but for those who may be interested, I did stumble across many image viewers that have a slideshow feature.  Some can create slideshows, while most of these just present a slideshow as one of their viewing modes.
I don't know if any of these are suitable choices or alternatives, but I thought I would include the list of what I've found while attempting to find an equivalent to your preferred program:
Found in Synaptic:
photofilmstrip
shotwell
Found in Software Manager: (EDITED)
PhotoQt
shotwell
Gwenview is actually a kde program, not gnome!  it will pull in kde dependencies
Geeqie ("Images can be displayed singly in normal or fullscreen mode; static or slideshow mode(...)")
EoG (Eye of Gnome, has a plugin that has a slideshow shuffle)
Mirage ("slideshow and fullscreeen mode" leads me to suspect that it may be able to provide slideshows that are not fullscreen)
GThumb (has a slideshow feature.  not sure if it's limited to full-screen)

I don't know if this is helpful to anyone - but in case it is, at least my search will not have gone to waste.  ; )
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:05:45 pm by inventiv.us »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 03:41:36 pm »
1. Looking at the solution above,  I am wondering: wouldn't/shouldn't gphotoframe appear at least in Synaptic Package Manager - if not in Software Manager as well?  I've stumbled across many gnome apps in there, and would have thought it would be there too.

I'm not sure why it isn't in the default upstream repos or even any PPA's (possibly it requires some build dependencies that aren't available in 18.04), but even if it's possible  I'm not packaging it and putting it in our repo (unless there's a LOT of call for it) because that would be yet another package I'd need to maintain that few people will use.
(I'm happy to provide instruction how to get it to work .. assuming responsibility for the package for the next 4 years is another matter ;))

2. Would installing a "Gnome-specific" (or other WM/DE-speficic) app pull in lots of dependencies that may slow down PepperMint?  (for those who are concerned with efficiency and performance on not-as-new hardware)

Gnome apps not so much, we already have most core gtk libs installed anyway because both LXDE and Xfce use Gtk so we need them .. but YES, installing KDE apps in Peppermint will likely pull in several metric tons of Qt libraries as dependencies.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 03:43:27 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

inventiv.us

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 04:10:20 pm »
Quote from: Phoenix
What I'm looking for is a photo frame widget that shows one pic or random or selected pictures on a corner of my desktop... really like Gnome photoframe

Have you tried out any of the suggestions, or found anything good on your own? 

I'm not typically "girly", but your expressed "need" did serve as a suggestion to myself that having a slideshow of family photos, in that massive photo directory that I have, but never open, would likely be a pleasant thing to have.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 05:52:28 pm »
Well my solution **does** work, so why not give it a go.

I can always add removal instructions if you'd like ?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:54:13 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

inventiv.us

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 05:31:29 pm »
Well my solution **does** work, so why not give it a go.
I can always add removal instructions if you'd like ?

Oh sorry - I wasn't paying attention.  Were you talking to me or the OP? 
Sure, I'll try it.  Despite all that intimidating amount of commands code, it's worth a try.
(as long as it's not something that "pulls in metric tons of KDE dependencies" I'm ok with it)  : D

Update:  it's there in the menu, but when I click on it, nothing happens - I get sent back to my browser here.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:42:50 pm by inventiv.us »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 07:39:03 am »
Does anything get returned in the terminal if you run:
/opt/gphotoframe/gphotoframe

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec