Author Topic: Any committed DIY vapers on here ?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Any committed DIY vapers on here ?
« on: December 14, 2018, 05:30:14 am »
As we don't appear to have an "Off Topic" public forum, I'm gonna post this here .. well the board description does say "Feel free to introduce yourself and/or talk about anything and everything in this board. Remember to keep it clean." :)

So just out of interest, are there any committed DIY vapers on this forum who mix their own e-liquids ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Any committed DIY vapers on here ?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 06:41:00 am »
If only we knew someone who could create an off topic board on here. ::)

In all seriousness, vaping isn't my thing. I just stopped in to comment on that other thing.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 06:51:27 am »
LOL :))

I guess this fella you speak of is Just too lazy ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 10:54:54 pm »
Hi Mark

I've been a committed vaper since April 2012, I smoked for over 30 years and I can't tell you how many times I tried to quit and failed miserably every time but switching over to vaping was the easiest thing I ever done it was a walk in the park, I never thought stropping smoking could be so easy for me.

The missus and I did it together and we are saving a fortune, at the time i switched over I was spending somewhere in the region of £70 a week feeding that habit and it would probably be closer to £100 now, we mix our own juice (well the missus does) so the costs are close to nil.

Mixing is really quite simple there's only 3 ingredients and they're easily available except nicotine but you can still get it ok

Obviously quitting smoking full stop is the ideal way to go but if you're like me with no will power I would heartily recommend it, I've saved a huge amount of money ( for a Scotsman that's a big thing :)  ) , I feel better and the house etc is cleaner it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 01:40:12 am »
Hi emegra,

OK, I'll grab the bait: what are the three ingredients? I neither smoke nor vape, but many friends vape and I would like to know because I'm pretty sure that many of the commercially available liquids are not necessarily kosher.  ::) :P

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 04:09:54 am »
OK, I'll grab the bait: what are the three ingredients?

Food flavouring, Polypropolene glycole  & nicotine

They're all commercially available although nicotine has become a little difficult to obtain recently

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 05:11:34 am »
There's actually (usually) 4 ingredients

PG - Polypropylene Glycol
VG - Vegetable Glycerine
Nicotine (can be bought in different concentrations in either a PG or VG base)
Flavourings (food)

It is also possible to add Water (usually distilled) up to a percentage.

Different people prefer different ratios of PG:VG .. PG carries flavours better and produces less "cloud", VG on the other hand is sweet (so reduces the need for added sweeteners) and produces large "clouds". PG can also be slightly harsher on the throat than VG. Most flavourings come in a PG base.

@emegra

Couldn't agree more .. after failing to quit smoking (for any extended period) MANY MANY times switching to vaping was so easy my missus did it too, and she had no original intention to stop smoking :)
(and I too feel MUCH better for it)

Mixing:- I know it's easy, I've got all the ingredients (including about 100 flavour concentrrates) and have been DIY mixing for a few months now. Initially my mixes seemed a bit bland compared to commercial eliquids, but I now have a few nailed (including a better Grape than any commercial one I've come across or any online recipe, and a pretty wicked Blueberry Ice Cream Belgian Waffle :)

Now I realise this may sound stupid, but anyone who's into vaping will realise how big a business this is .. anyway I'm wondering whether to try creating a "Peppermint" branded e-liquid to help support the project.
(hey there's Mintos and Peppermint, so why not a Peppermintos :)))
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:33:12 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 06:48:53 am »
Couldn't agree more .. after failing to quit smoking (for any extended period) MANY MANY times switching to vaping was so easy my missus did it too, and she had no original intention to stop smoking :)
(and I too feel MUCH better for it)

Mixing:- I know it's easy, I've got all the ingredients (including about 100 flavour concentrrates) and have been DIY mixing for a few months now. Initially my mixes seemed a bit bland compared to commercial eliquids, but I now have a few nailed (including a better Grape than any commercial one I've come across or any online recipe, and a pretty wicked Blueberry Ice Cream Belgian Waffle :)

Now I realise this may sound stupid, but anyone who's into vaping will realise how big a business this is .. anyway I'm wondering whether to try creating a "Peppermint" branded e-liquid to help support the project.
(hey there's Mintos and Peppermint, so why not a Peppermintos :)))

I'm quite conservative in my tastes and don't experiment much anymore, I'm kinda stuck on banana or banoffi at 12mg ( I began at 24mg) actually I asked the missus to mix me a bottle of 0mg and not tell me just to see if I notice the difference, I think it would be an interesting experiment.

Anything that could generate revenue for the project would be a good thing and it shouldn't be a problem creating our own peppermint flavour and branding but (yeah I know there's always a but) I'm pretty certain we'd run into regulation issues if we were distributing it commercially

ie my missus and daughter do charity fairs and sell stuff they make mainly craft stuff and for a while they were selling decorative soap you know like soap on a rope etc it's actually quite easy to make and it was selling like hot cakes but then they realised that they needed some kind of chemistry license and the costs were out of this world so they had to stop it, there was nothing wrong with the soap and all the ingredients were natural but it would only take 1 person to take an allergic reaction and they could find themselves in big trouble

Graeme
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:51:57 am by emegra »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 07:02:26 am »
There is a license involved with producing/selling things that contain nicotine, but most eliquid manufacturers (selling in larger than 10ml bottles) circumvent this by selling "short fills" where the buyer adds nicotine themselves (in the amount they want, sold in 10ml bottles of no more than 10%).

I gather (but would have to check) adding preservatives isn't necessary because PG is a preservative anyway.

But sure I'd look into regulations first (particularly the TPD).

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 12:38:13 am »
Hi emegra and PCNetSpec,

Thanks for the information.

@emegra : when you say "I'm kinda stuck on banana or banoffi at 12 mg" what do you mean? 12 mg of flavoring or nicotine? And in what sort of a volume is this 12mg mixed?

@PCNetSpec : I think you might really have a potentially good  idea for supporting the project (assuming the regulations are not too expensive). Although I do not smoke or vape, I am convinced that vaping exposes the user to much lesser quantities of dangerous substances. Leaves of any sort (when burned) contain hundreds of harmful substances.

BTW, since you and the missus vape at home: how do you manage to navigate through the fog and find each other?  :D

Regards,

-- Slim

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 05:08:45 am »
He's talking about nicotine @ 12mg per ml .. 4 times the strength I use, but then he's probably not sucking a dead rabbit (awaits the next question :)))

BTW, since you and the missus vape at home: how do you manage to navigate through the fog and find each other?

See, it has mental health benefits too :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 05:14:04 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline emegra

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 07:27:44 am »

@emegra : when you say "I'm kinda stuck on banana or banoffi at 12 mg" what do you mean? 12 mg of flavoring or nicotine? And in what sort of a volume is this 12mg mixed?

I mean the nicotine content as Mark said 12mg /ml

but then he's probably not sucking a dead rabbit

That has to be the most disgusting statement I've ever read on this forum :)

BTW, since you and the missus vape at home: how do you manage to navigate through the fog and find each other?  :D

Just another benefit my friend :)

Graeme

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 08:35:36 am »
OK, you guys are simply too much !!  :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 09:36:58 am »
Hey I coulda said "sucking a dead rabbits drip tip" or "pulling on a goons dripper".. it would have been the readers mind that ended up in the gutter, not my statement :))
(I'm sure they name these on purpose)

Just to be clear...

(Dead Rabbit RDA, and Goon RDA)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:29:59 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec