Choose style:

Author Topic: Formatting SD Card in FAT 32 format using P9 [SOLVED}  (Read 647 times)

Offline wmshay6

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P9
Formatting SD Card in FAT 32 format using P9 [SOLVED}
« on: December 12, 2018, 09:34:23 pm »
I've got several game cameras that capture the wildlife around my place.  Once I've viewed the pictures, I like to format the cards to clean things up a little before reinstalling in the camera.  Problem is, when I use P9 to format them in a way "compatible with most systems and devies" I don't get FAT 32 which is what I need for the cameras.  I also end up with some weird partitioning issues so I cannot even reformat using a windows machine.  I have to go into disk part utility to clear the partitions and basically start from scratch in Win10.  I trying to get away from windows, so would like to figure out what I'm doing wrong and learn how to format in P9 so my SD is FAT 32.  \

Can anyone point me to a good tutorial or guide so I can read up and figure out what I'm doing wrong?  Is it even possible to format a 32GB card to FAT 32 using p9?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 10:23:38 am by wmshay6 »

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
Re: Formatting SD Card in FAT 32 format using P9
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 11:06:53 pm »
When I click on Menu > System >  USB Stick Writer, I am able to select my SD card and the very first formatting option I am offered is Fat 32... which I no longer use, but there it is. NTFS should be more compatible, but maybe not for your particular camera.
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline wmshay6

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P9
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 03:26:45 pm »
Well. . .dont"t I feel dumb.  I wasnt"t using that utility-I was using settings->disks-> format disk.  Thank you Spence!

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 Respin
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 04:45:58 pm »
You are welcome @wmshay6! You may still find that your windows devices sometimes reject sd cards formatted this way, but it works just fine 95% of the time. If you find this resolves your problem, would you kindly edit your original post's title and add [SOLVED] to the end, so others hunting the forum for this problem in the future know that we have a solution?
spence
PeppermintOS 10installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 09:00:22 am »
Windows should accept them every time (as long as they're formatted FAT/FAT32/NTFS).

Caveat - I've seen the USB Stick Formatter RE-format a USB stick that had no defined partition (ie. there was no say /dev/sdb1, just dev/sdb), this worked under Linux but was not recognised by Windows.
(I was kinda surprised it worked under Linux, but there you go :) .. using Gparted to create a partition, then formatting it fixed things so it was recognised by both OS's)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:06:04 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec