Choose style:

Author Topic: Microsoft reportedly looking to ditch Edge for Chromium  (Read 1755 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Microsoft reportedly looking to ditch Edge for Chromium
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 07:06:33 pm »
My fear is we've waken up to this too late.  I know I can't escape Google in my daily life, at least not in any meaningful way.  Oh, with my desktop browser, yes,but my Android phone screams Google from its top to its bottom -- and yet I don't feel any pull from Apple either.  Though I have nothing against it, Apple, for whatever reason, from its desktop to its iPhone, just leaves me flat.  Don't know why. :-\
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2018, 07:38:56 pm »
Google is the Microsoft of the 2010s. I thought everyone knew that. They're as committed to creating a web monopoly as Microsoft was to creating an OS monopoly in the 1990s and early 2000s. I remember when I first started with GMail. You had to be invited to it, and that involved a phone call to make sure you were human. It was a great alternative to spam laden services like Yahoo!. Now they let anyone in, because it lines their pockets even more. Then they started their shenanigans with their web search tracking everything. So, no, Google isn't the nice company they started out to be. They're trying to monopolize the web, which can never be a good thing. People realize this, that's why there's significant blow back from the wider community.

Though, I suspect if they're successful in any of their attempts, the Internet might actually get forked. Back in the day, there were various attempts to create something like the Internet, before the widely adopted version was born. There was more than one online network back then. There technically still are others, but they're not widely used. I could see going back to more than one widely used network if Google successfully monopolizes the current version. Then it will be a bigger pain to run a website, as you either limit yourself to only Google's web, the "other" version or you wind up trying to make your site work with both. Either way, nothing Google is trying to do can have good affects, if successful.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2018, 11:12:27 am »
Stupid prices aside but that affects Android phones too, I quite like the iPhone (well at least I 'prefer' it to Android), but then I have no need for anything outside their walled garden.

One thing's for sure, I feel more 'secure' on an iPhone (if not necessarily any more/less 'private').

Connectivity is obviously better on Android, but then I have little need for anything beyond transferring the odd pic, which I can do.

Like Linux V's Windows, I made my choice and don't miss things I don't have because I'm not concerning myself with that .. I just make the most of the platform I've chosen. It's like the Windows user telling me some AAA game isn't available on Linux, who cares, I only look for games that ARE .. why would I concern myself with what Linux DOESN'T have :-\
(I don't moan because it can't make great toast either .. I'm not looking at it as a toaster)

Do Windows users go hunting for Mac software that won't run in Windows .. of course they don't, why would they.
(except maybe for the odd idiot who just likes to moan)

[EDIT]

Ooops, slightly massively off topic there :-[
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:40:06 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec