Choose style:

Author Topic: File Manager Woes  (Read 260 times)

Offline drowzee1872

• Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Nine
File Manager Woes
« on: December 16, 2018, 07:15:13 pm »
I have started having some issues with the file manager. I am unsure at this point if I have done something (i.e. installed something that may be causing a conflict.... or some malware...lol).

When transferring files from one drive to another, the file manager appears to crash... or simply close mid job.

A similar thing happen when using Lollypop, midway through listening to Talksport it simply closed. (So it may not be file manager related).

I don't really want to do a full reinstall, but if needs must!! Anyone else having issues.... ?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: File Manager Woes
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 04:45:26 pm »
Does this happen EVERY time you attempt to move a file between drives ?

Are only 'moves' affected, or 'copies' too ?

Large files ?

Multiple files ?

Single files ?

Which version/architecture of Peppermint ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline drowzee1872

• Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 05:19:29 pm »
Does this happen EVERY time you attempt to move a file between drives ?

Are only 'moves' affected, or 'copies' too ?

Large files ?

Multiple files ?

Single files ?

Which version/architecture of Peppermint ?

64-bit Peppermint 9. I was copying a large quantity of files..... all 1-2 gb in size..... from an internal hard drive partition to the main Peppermint home folders.... (I was doing this as the internal drive had suddenly become read-only), so copy was the only option.

Subsequently, I used 'disks' (an excellent partition manager, BTW), to delete the partition and resize the Peppermint partition to take up the whole 3TB Drive. I also removed and re-installed firefox, and run clamav/clamtk just in case of malware. I have so far had no more issues.

I am guessing whatever triggered the Partition to become 'read-only' may have been the culprit! Still not 100% convinced though.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:28:04 am »
So you're no longer having the problem ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline drowzee1872

• Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 07:43:50 pm »
NO.

But is it because I am no longer transferring files?

Will the next time I am moving volumes will it happen......? I will keep you posted.

As for the ownership/permission issue with the partition, I wonder if it was because I accessed it from windows? I dual boot my pc, as there are a couple of games I like to play.... I accessed the partition as it holds music and movies. Then the problems started when I returned to Peppermint.

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9 (64bit), P 9 R
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 10:15:14 am »
Hi drowzee1872. I would bet the ownership/permission issue does in fact have to do with mounting the partition in a different distro. I have 7 distros installed on my hard drive, all with home folders symlinked to my DATA partition. Never had a problem when going from one distro to another with permission of the DATA partition, until yesterday. Yesterday I installed Makululinux and set it up as usual. Everything working fine. Then went back to peppermint to run update-grub and checked on other stuff in my documents folder and sure enough, I didn't have permission to open several files. Same thing in a couple of other distros and I came here and started a thread. I figured out that changing ownership of the DATA partition fixed it all except in Makululinux, where I didn't have permission. Go figure.  ::)
What was I thinking?