Choose style:

Author Topic: 10.1 Inch iCraig Slimbook With 4 GBs of Built-in Flash Memory (SOLVED)  (Read 5214 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Team Peppermint,

I just purchased a 10.1 Inch iCraig Slimbook which is running Google's Android 4.2 OS.   This Slimbook (netbook) has 4 GB of Built-in Flash Memory.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the Android OS on this Slimbook with Peppermint 5 OS?  This Slimbook has 4 GB of Built-in Flash Memory.  It does have 3 USB 2.0 ports, and it has a micro SD Card Slot which will support a maximum of 32 GBs of memory.

I'm making the assumption this Android 4.2 OS is 32-bit, but I'm not sure about this.

I'd love to get rid of Android on this netbook and replace it with Peppermint 5 if possible -- then we'd have a real OS on this tiny computer!   ;)

Thank you,

perknh
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:33:51 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
Re: 10.1 Inch iCraig Slimbook With 4 GBs of Built-in Flash Memory
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 04:27:40 pm »
Hi,

I'm fairly sure that you could at least install Linux alongside of the Android OS. I did this 2 years ago with a Google Netbook (an Acer C710 Chromebook) but used Chrubuntu, which is still running very well and continues to get regular updates!  8) For information go to this page:

http://chrubuntu.blogspot.ca/

I remember reading somewhere that the whole process has been made easier since then. And you might be able to use other Linux distros now as well (e.g. Debian). However, I'm not sure that Peppermint will run on the typed of CPU that is found in most chromebooks :(
Good luck,
-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 06:10:46 pm »
Thank you, Slim.

Peppermint is our home OS.  My wife can deal with Android.  I started her with it, but now she shows me how to use it.  I like all things Linux, but I like a real OS instead of just apps. 

My fears with this netbook are with memory and with Google itself.  This netbook only has 4 GB of flash memory, which is, I believe, roughly the same thing as RAM from a functional standpoint.  I think the flash memory will probably be okay, but with Google, who knows?  For all I know I could be blocked from installing Peppermint, and then I'd be all screwed up.  Then I wouldn't have Android, and I wouldn't have Peppermint either.  Ouch!

Slim, I am trying to learn more about Linux, and right now I'm studying Crunchbang.  But I'm so slow with this stuff I can't even figure out where spell check is in the #! forum, never mind how to connect to Wi-Fi!

This netbook looks great, but I'd be a much happier camper if I could put and run Peppermint on it.  Then I'd buy another of these darn things.  $75 isn't really that bad of a price for a lightweight computer you can tote around -- but I don't want to use Android personally.  Over time, Google is losing its charm to me.

I'm going to check out your link, but this isn't a Chromebook, it's a netbook, and I think there's a difference between the two.  I don't know if this tiny netbook would be able to carry two OSs.  I know the CPU is duo-core, but that is all I know about it.

Thank you very much, Slim.Fatz.  I'll follow your link, and keep doing my homework.   ;)

I see I'm at the beginning of another journey here.

perknh

P.S.

An update:

What I'm learning is that Flash Memory is a phrase used for the hard drive.  Is it an actual hard drive or a card?  I do not know.  A 4 GB hard drive is a minimum hard drive requirement for Peppermint OS.  Does an 4 GB Flash Memory count as being a hard drive?  I don't know.  Maybe this is just smoke and mirrors to keep guys like us from installing another Linux OS on an Android Netbook.

I wonder!   :-\
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:45:17 pm by perknh »

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 03:56:47 am »
Hi, perknh:

Sorry, I guess I did not read your post slowly and closely enough. I thought you had a Chromebook -- Netbook, Chromebook, Notebook ... all of these Dangbooks are playing trix with my feeble old mind  :-[

You can probably forget about the link I sent to you and only consider reading it if you decide to get a Chromebook.

And BTW, since you have submitted so many posts here I was assuming that you were a semi-pro Linux old-timer!

Keep plugging away at Linux -- the brain exercise will probably help in the fight against dementia! At least that is what I'm hoping for!!

Regards,
-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
Re: 10.1 Inch iCraig Slimbook With 4 GBs of Built-in Flash Memory (Solved)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 05:04:01 pm »
Keep plugging away at Linux -- the brain exercise will probably help in the fight against dementia! At least that is what I'm hoping for!!
--Slim.Fatz

I couldn't have said it better myself.  Slim, that's exactly what I'm hoping for too.  I'm working little by little on learning a foreign language, and I'm trying to keep my brain active learning about Linux, and participating in these Linux forums.

I wish I were a semi-pro, Slim.  Nearly everything I've learned about Linux, I've learned here at Peppermint, and that's why I've submitted so many posts -- I didn't know anything about Linux when I started.  The members here in this forum have taught me just about everything I know about Linux.

As for the netbook, I got that netbook up and running last night, but it brought down my modem in the process.  An ISP repairman came to my house today, and strangely enough our conversation turned to Linux.  He's noticed that several people have made an exodus from the Dark Side, and all of these new Linux users are saying the same thing:  they are not going back!  I showed him how to get started with a checksum tool within Windows, and which UUI works well with Ubuntu-based distributions.  I suggested, of course, that he go for Peppermint OS first, and even join the our forum before downloading the OS, if that would help him.  But, I said, if that old laptop of his has an issue with that new aura feature in Chromium, then he should go for Lubuntu as a second choice. 

Slim, I think he just may make it here. 

Knock on wood!   ;)

Update:

I finally met a couple store employees who knew about this device.  The short answer is you cannot put Peppermint, or any other Linux distribution onto this Android device.  I was told "You cannot "root" off of it" -- meaning put another Linux OS onto it. 

I now believe just having built-in flash memory doesn't offer much.  In the future I'll look for something with a real hard drive and sufficient memory -- and not something that only has built-in flash memory.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:08:07 pm by perknh »