Choose style:

Author Topic: The popularity of Peppermint...  (Read 2597 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: The popularity of Peppermint...
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 02:12:38 pm »
Not met EB yet then ? .. he's another Peppermint champion :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline mintspider

• Mint-Solus-Peppermint-Spider
    • View Profile
    • Spider's Webtrail
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 02:17:31 pm »
Not met EB yet then ? .. he's another Peppermint champion :)
Yeah, I also know EB, but I met Zeb & Steve first, and interact more with them.
Have actually video chatted with Steve a few times on his show.

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

Scotsman in Kentucky
Solus and Peppermint User
BDLL Tester
Believer in Jesus Christ

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 02:18:50 pm »
Yeah he's kinda hard to miss :))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Johan

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 10:56:46 am »
I'm a Peppermint addict :D
Once Peppermint, always Peppermint.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 12:23:09 pm »
We all know that Johan .. a line of Peppermint in the morning, and another at night .. I'm surprised your nose doesn't glow red and white :))

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 12:44:19 pm »
Look closer, his nose is gone entirely!

???

Offline rayzer

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 01:07:37 pm »
maybe add some social media links for say facebook, twitter etc, i havent got ice as im currently on debian but can still make shortcuts for sites which i dump into usr/share/applications and they show up under Other in my menu. the only thing i dont like in peppermint are the icons, usually switch em to faenza or similar

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 02:16:42 pm »
Theming will NEVER suit everyone .. no matter what you choose, some will love it, some will hate it with a vengeance.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline darknet

• /home/darknet
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64-bit
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 06:14:08 am »
The popularity of Peppermint... ??? really simple... it just works and it's the fastest distro I have ever used ;)

Offline Pepper9

• Peppermint OS: Rest for the weary.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 04:35:54 am »
The popularity of Peppermint... ??? really simple... it just works and it's the fastest distro I have ever used ;)

I concur  :) Ease of use, stability (sometimes one of my machines runs for days on end and just keeps working), fast, looks good. The BEST part (for me that is) is the ICE implementation and the SSB's that comes with it. I love using it and use the cr*p out of it, lol.

The only distro I have used (and use) which is faster is Puppy Linux but given the way it works it's not a fair comparison to Peppermint OS. I think I will stick with Peppermint as it meets all of my demands in a distro. Minimalism: Less is always more.
 8)
If it ain't broke.........

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 06:57:35 am »
Many thanks Pepper9 :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Pepper9

• Peppermint OS: Rest for the weary.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermint 10 64bit
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2019, 06:27:12 am »
Speaking of Peppermint's popularity: (Why) Is the Peppermint Facebook page inactive? Last post is from December 23rd of last year. If there's one platform that could spread Peppermint is's Facebook.

Any plans to revive it? Need some help with that? I'd be more than happy to keep it running (again)  8)
If it ain't broke.........

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2019, 04:10:48 pm »
It's alive but I haven't time to post to it (or really monitor it) .. if anyone want to become our "social media manager" please first prove yourself on this forum for a while, then we'll speak :)

Or if any of the current team are interested .. hit me up with a PM.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2019, 06:59:16 am »
I'm on Facebook too, but never use it. Everyday get a email about notifications, with new pictures that people have taken of their food, cat, dog, hair brush, wisdom teeth, pigeons and seagulls getting saved, from being eaten, by a giant chocolate flavoured marshmallow man. And that type of thing okay so the giant chocolate flavoured marshmallow man is a bit extreme, but come on, really do I need to know anything about what other people are doing, at a particular time of day? No and am I bothered? No. The sad reality is and even the writers of Facebook agree that it's turned into a thumbs up and down site.
I've witnessed someone I know get herself in a right state, because she never got an answer from a message she sent, two seconds previously. It's amazing how much people rely on that site. I'd admit it is good for business, but for everything else, in my honest opinion it ain't for me. :)
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)

Offline clatterfordslim

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10, Nine Respin 2
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2019, 08:05:59 am »

The strength of this distro is it's stability and speed..  This I think disadvantages Peppermint in reviews. A review cannot really look at stability, only for the time they are testing.  So the distros that get the attention tend to be ones with eye candy or special features.

I'm not sure how important it is to all concerned here to see Peppermint become more popular, but I have an idea:

Ice is a very special feature, one that doesn't get the attention is deserves. Probably because reviewers don't get given the best of it on a plate.  I think more could be done together by this community to make this the ultimate OS for the internet.

I'd recommend that for a future edition there be stacks of ICE menu entries, eg Word online etc   That would really make this OS stand out

Together we could also recommend useful websites.  I've never known an OS ship with a browser that is pre-loaded with hundreds of bookmarks, organised into useful folders. Again, that would be a standout feature

I should probably add a third idea, but I can't think of one  :D

It was thanks to English Bob who got me hooked on Peppermint, back in Peppermint 7, oh the time I had on that distro. Then came Peppermint 7 Respin, then not long after that the fantastic Peppermint 8, then the Respin, then the fanatisco Peppermint 9, then count them two respins. Like with any computer, it all depends on what you, the end user wants a computer for? Me I love technology, love the fact that everyday I can catch up on emails, videos from my favourite creators on YouTube, make videos myself, do some light gaming, live stream to YouTube, watch films on DVD or very soon Blu-ray. My Linux history goes back to Ubuntu 10.04, when everything and I mean everything, had to be built or configured yourself. The idea behind Peppermint OS is to make a Linux system, for the end user with nearly everything out of the box, but we live in a world of choice. So instead of bulking the system out with heavy apps to use, the Pep team have made it so you or us the user, choose what we want and in doing so, have made a light system for all of us to enjoy and customise the hell out of. Ice Apps are fantastic, they take no internal resource up, apart from maybe a bit of ram, to use Firefox with.

Another great thing I love, is the fact that Peppermint is in my opinion, the most reliable Ubuntu based system on the planet. I can run Peppermint all day long and it never whines, gripes, crashes, it just does what it says on the tin. Everything from AAA games on Steam, to even Dolphin emulator and after I have built my new build, it will be running the fantastic PS2 and PS3 emulators, that I will Live Stream to YouTube. Plus I'm going to get finally a PS4 to capture with my inbuilt capture card. I have big plans for this summer here in Peppermint and I know for a fact that it will just be an absolute pleasure using, such a wonderful OS. It's not just about the OS either, it's the little touches that Mark Greaves and his team put into their OS, that let's face it you won't find on any other. Like Numix-Folders, I absolutely love Numix Circle Icons and they included the Numix-Folders, for us all to be able to change the colour of, Neofetch has an activation button, under Tweaks inside Peppermint Settings Panel , plus a whole barrage of other things added to make our lives as users easier.

Hardly any problems asked, here on this site, that PCNetSpec doesn't answer and a majority of the queries I have seen, have all been solved. Just goes to show when you look at other Linux Distro forums, the amount of problems that do not get solved, simply because that particular Distro, is so famous and well known, that they are finding it difficult to maintain. Where as here in Peppermint, I think the size of the community and the users are just right. I will carry on supporting and promoting Peppermint, till the end of my days, on this planet. I have never ever used such a reliable, stable system in all my life. :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:08:52 am by clatterfordslim »
Not only is Peppermint an addictive OS to use.
But so is this Forum :)