Choose style:

Author Topic: The popularity of Peppermint...  (Read 404 times)

Offline rickc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
The popularity of Peppermint...
« on: November 30, 2018, 06:38:10 am »

The strength of this distro is it's stability and speed..  This I think disadvantages Peppermint in reviews. A review cannot really look at stability, only for the time they are testing.  So the distros that get the attention tend to be ones with eye candy or special features.

I'm not sure how important it is to all concerned here to see Peppermint become more popular, but I have an idea:

Ice is a very special feature, one that doesn't get the attention is deserves. Probably because reviewers don't get given the best of it on a plate.  I think more could be done together by this community to make this the ultimate OS for the internet.

I'd recommend that for a future edition there be stacks of ICE menu entries, eg Word online etc   That would really make this OS stand out

Together we could also recommend useful websites.  I've never known an OS ship with a browser that is pre-loaded with hundreds of bookmarks, organised into useful folders. Again, that would be a standout feature

I should probably add a third idea, but I can't think of one  :D

Offline johnny so-low

• everyday's a new disaster
    • View Profile
Re: The popularity of Peppermint...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 01:41:02 am »
peppermint has a lot more going for it than its stability ...... its all implemented so beautifully that it doesn't really stand out .. look at the simplicity of use , the devs went to great lengths to add a ton of menu commands that otherwise would be done in the terminal and therefore putting off and frustrating the new linux user , simple little things like copy to folder and move to folder options that make it simple and comfortable for a new user to get settled in and start believing that maybe linux isnt so tuff after all cause im doing this all by myself  ... and there are a lot more tucked away here and there .. the devs have have put a lot of thought into making sure a newbie never has to mess with a terminal unless they want to ...... heck have you ever set up a samba share so easily and quickly ? every other distro ive ever used involved a half hour of hunting down the right info to change the configuration script and pray you got it right ... peppermint , fast , clean , beautiful , non intimidating , and functional
im a hillbelly i lay dwn & my belly makes a hill

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 07:41:39 am »
Thanks guys :)

In answer to rickc's suggestions:-

Peppermint 9 already has the Microsoft Office Online SSB's, along with a Skype Online SSB .. but we're always open to suggestions for more.

That said, we're not out to "rule the world" by attracting millions of new users, they'd be more than welcome but our primary goal is to focus on our CURRENT community .. if they're happy, the word will filter out on its own.
(sometimes "small and friendly" is better than "large and impersonal", don't you think ?)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 02:04:49 pm »
[...] sometimes "small and friendly" is better than "large and impersonal", don't you think ?

Yup!  Like Goldilocks and The Three Bears

That site is too big...and that site is too small... but, this one is just right  ;)

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 & 9
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 07:04:32 pm »
It's popular enough. :D

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): peppermintOS 9
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 07:33:08 pm »
to OP @rickc ... imho, organic growth via our individual promotion of peppermintOS is what works best methinks.

Meanwhile I am spending the vast majority of my online time in www.mewe.com ... where I've been invited into a handful of linux groups. I haven't yet joined as I still feel like a relative n00b. But once I get over my jitters I will be mentioning peppermintOS all along the way.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 07:47:47 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 9 installed  on:
'05 Compaq Presario M200
'11 Toshiba Satellite L775D
'16 Antec Aria rebuild

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 02:18:22 pm »
:)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline rickc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 06:57:59 am »
Yeah, I'm still on 8!

I guess all I meant was that I find it surprising that this distro isn't far higher up the distro watch downloads.  If the community is relaxed with that, as it seems to be, then there's no problem

Having used (at best as an average user) linux for ten years, I can honestly say this is the only distro I've used where I haven't ran into problems and needed help to fix, or just do a full reinstall.  I don't feel this distro gets the wider recognition it deserves

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 07:15:36 am »
Oh, I agree. Some of us have been here since Peppermint One, and there's a reason for that. This distro really works for me as a daily OS. I did a lot of Distro hopping back when I first came to this OS, and I've never found one that suits my needs better. I only have Peppermint and Windows (strictly for games) on my desktop, and Peppermint on all my other computers. One of the things I love about this OS is this chill forum. There are a lot of good people on here.

Incidentally, DistroWatch is how I first found Peppermint, over eight years ago. It popped up as a "random distro" on a page I was viewing.

Offline PeppermintFan

• Peppermint tastes good
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7 & 8
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 10:13:30 pm »
I found this OS through DistroWatch as well.  I am very leery of the download numbers really being an indicator of how popular it is though.  I think the community here is a better indication of real users. 

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 08:41:42 am »
It's not even download numbers, it's page hit numbers. So, you could go onto the page for an OS on DistroWatch and that registers, whether or not you do anything else with it. Every OS that's featured on the front page or DW Weekly will naturally get a page hit boost, as people will at least click on the page to see what it's about. So, no, DW's rankings aren't all that indicative of anything and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Offline drowzee1872

• Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Nine
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 10:13:55 pm »
I often wonder how realistic Distrowatch's rankings actually are.

After all Manjaro getting 3852 hits per day, could actually mean that it's user's are continually grabbing new images, as the stability (I found) can be lacking. I have a machine with dual graphics cards, one built in to the CPU and a dedicated card..... Manjaro hates this setup in my experience. While it seemed to run ok, I got a crazy amount of ACPI errors when loading. Plus many new Linux Users may find using the package managers less than ideal when locating software.

We also have to factor in "Joe Bob Jr, and his three cats..." checking the distros for new releases to post a video on youtube video that will get 5 hits. "and this is Linux Mint Tessa, it has Libre office out of the box".... The number of these now makes me laugh, but could factor into a portion of the number of hits per day.

One thing that I remember from my Distro hopping days, was that I was often couldn't settle on the look and feel of any one distro. For example, the Pantheon desktop is one of my favourites, but Elementary tries to restrict it's user base to installing programs only from their software repo. Not ideal. Mint and Ubuntu come bloated with software I need to remove.

It strikes me that these distros are used by the hoppers, that cannot quite make up their mind what they want from their Linux Computer.

My current installation of Peppermint is rock solid. I removed some of the programs I didn't need or like (for example, I am not a fan of Mint's X-apps so Xed was removed in favour of Pluma), adjusted the panels to include a 2nd Panel for launchers, created my own SSB's and it has been fine ever since.

So back to Distrowatch. Peppermint should take comfort in their product, and the fact that it is excellent. Stability is a good thing. Better than a new image every few days!

Online scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 10:17:46 pm »
I often wonder how realistic Distrowatch's rankings actually are.

After all Manjaro getting 3852 hits per day, could actually mean that it's user's are continually grabbing new images, as the stability (I found) can be lacking.

Like I said, it's all based on page hits. It could even be bots going to the page.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 06:17:23 pm »
I think it's safe to assume the sudden and massive rise of Manjaro is down to bots .. there is absolutely no way it's the most popular distro by a margin of 2:1 (or even at all).

I think it'd also be a safe bet that Ubuntu will have a larger install base than all other distros put together (probably by a large margin).

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec