Choose style:

Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] Peppermint PPAs  (Read 418 times)

Offline Master

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
[SUGGESTION] Peppermint PPAs
« on: June 14, 2019, 07:09:36 am »
I just started using peppermint the other day, and I thaught, so, Since Peppermint is based on Ubuntu, but peppermint comes with it's own PPA's, why not have a thread of the official Peppermint PPA's by version, which keep getting updated based on the Peppermint respins and whatnot.

Cause this would help some of us who dare to do peppermint upgrades through major ubuntu bases, for example by:
1. Remove the peppermint ppas from sources.list.d.
2. Do a regular "sudo do-release-upgrade" that I know actually exists in Pepp, but first setting the prompt=lts in the /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades.
3. After the upgrade is complete, just visit peppermint forums for updated Pepp PPA's for peppermint version based of the upgraded Ubuntu base.
4. Copy them, paste them in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/peppermint.list.
5. Do an apt-get update
6. Do an apt-get dist-upgrade.

and voila, we upgraded Peppermint to a new version including the base.  :-\

Ofcourse, I am just typing this out, but will test it in virtualbox with a Peppermint 8 base, and upgrade to Peppermint 10.
Also, I just google searched Peppermint PPA's and get launchpad links, that just gives a single line of what comes in the actual peppermint.list, but no refrence to the forums here. thats why I was sudgesting like a thread or something ::)

Thank you, waiting for reply.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: [SUGGESTION] Peppermint PPAs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 08:09:04 am »
Because often it's not that easy, sometimes we've made enough significant changes that stuff left in the users home folder would break things installed in the latest Peppermint.

PLUS...

By far my biggest objection to providing unsupervised upgrade instructions is that (like automated upgrades) they breed a lax backup routine .. telling people they need to do a fresh install forces them to think about backing up what they cannot afford to loose.

If we're going to provide upgrade instructions we'll only do it once they've been tested, tested again, then tested again .. and even then people will run into issues we couldn't have foreseen, so I'd prefer those instructions to be on the forum where we can provide assistance .. such as:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8442.0.html

Basically .. whilst I'm not trying to discourage people who consider they have the skills to dig themselves out of a hole from attempting an upgrade (and they should already know where the PPA's are), I'm not sure encouraging people who may not yet have those skills to risk breaking their system is the way forward.

See also:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,8422.0.html
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:13:46 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Master

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
Re: [SUGGESTION] Peppermint PPAs
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 09:16:41 am »
 :D :D :D :D IT WORKED  :D :D :D :D :D :D

BEFORE PICK:

DURING UPGRADE: