Choose style:

Author Topic: Update the isos  (Read 713 times)

Offline makey

• nOOb
  • smattering of everything and knowledge of nothing
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Update the isos
« on: October 24, 2018, 11:01:16 pm »
Hello , good day.

I hope this post is ok here . But my question is : there will be a update to the isos in the main page peppermintos.com?

by that i mean the direct download and the torrent download with the up to date packages ?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Update the isos
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 12:42:22 am »
Hi makey, how's it going  :)?   No, the ISO downloads from the main webpage are static and remain so.  To keep them up to date is highly labour intensive as it would mean creating a new ISO every week or so.  This is very time consuming and unnecessary.  We do offer a respin of the distro around about Christmas each year.  This incorporates minor changes, tweaks and of course all the updates  ;).  This respun ISO also remains static.   Don't worry, this is not a issue.  You simply need to update and upgrade the distro after its been installed.  The following advice shows you how to do this.  It's really easy, just 3 keystrokes, some Copy & Pasting and typing of your password - completely painless ;).

Since the time when your installation ISO was originally created, the kernel and the installed software packages will have gone through several upgrades.  Peppermint, like other Linux distributions is a very dynamic and rapidly evolving operating system.  Consequently, it needs to be kept as current as possible for optimal performance.  Please open a terminal window with the following keystrokes: Ctrl+Alt+t.  Enter the following commands into the terminal window.

TipLinux is case sensitive.  To reduce the possibility of typographical errors, please left click the Code: [Select] function to highlight the line of code.  This is located above the command on the far left side.  Use the right mouse button and select: Copy from the menu.  With your mouse cursor inside the active terminal window.  Paste the contents by clicking the right mouse button and selecting: Paste from the menu.  For Chromium Browser and Google Chrome users.  There is no need to copy, just highlight.  With your mouse cursor inside the active terminal window, simply click on the centre mouse button/wheel  to paste the contents ;).

Note: For enhanced security, passwords are entered invisibly.   Thereís NO indication of any user input.  By default "sudo" doesn't echo ANYTHING to screen (not even ******).  This way, anyone looking over your shoulder doesn't even get to see the length of your password.  You may enter an incorrect password 3 times before you have to repeat the command youíre trying to execute.

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Hit Enter/Return and enter your user password when asked.  Follow the on screen instructions.  After that has completed, continue with:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Hit Enter/Return and enter your user password if asked.  Follow the on screen instructions.

After the upgrade has completed, itís very important to reboot your machine.  Itís highly likely that thereíll be a kernel upgrade, (this is only applicable if the, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade command provides updates).  Your installation will now be up to date and ready to go.  You'll receive update notifications on a regular basis.  You'll know when they're available when an exclamation mark appears in the Update Manager shield in the right side of the panel.   Just left click on it and click Install Updates.  You'll be ask for your user password before the updates are installed.  You can also review the updates before they're installed.  I strongly advise you not to alter the settings.  They've been optimized for Peppermint.  You can also simply run the commands you've just used at any time you want.  This achieves the same result as the Update Manager.  You never have to concern yourself about the distro being out of date.  This only happen after the end of the distro's support period.  I hope this helps you feel more secure about Peppermint.  You can always use this forum for help and advice.  In fact we encourage people to do so.  I hope this help and good luck  ;).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 01:26:22 am by AndyInMokum, Reason: Adding information »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline makey

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 03:03:59 am »
thanks for the reply.  :)

And at the the end just want to know :
  We do offer a respin of the distro around about Christmas each year.  This incorporates minor changes, tweaks and of course all the update

its because i dont install pep, i use it in a usb stick . thanks for the advaise for the how to upate the system  :P

have a nice day.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 08:54:36 am »
Yeah you can expect a respin of the ISO around Christmas(ish) .. this will bring all packages up to date, and may contain a few minor 'tweaks'.

Basically we have a new release annually (some time around May-July), and a respin of the ISO at around the 6 months stage.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:56:54 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 05:51:59 pm »
thanks for the reply.  :)

And at the the end just want to know :
  We do offer a respin of the distro around about Christmas each year.  This incorporates minor changes, tweaks and of course all the update

its because i dont install pep, i use it in a usb stick . thanks for the advaise for the how to upate the system  :P

have a nice day.

Hi makey, so you only use a live version of Peppermint or you install it into a usb stick?
What was I thinking?

Offline esjay

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 07:48:00 am »
Yeah you can expect a respin of the ISO around Christmas(ish) .. this will bring all packages up to date, and may contain a few minor 'tweaks'.

Basically we have a new release annually (some time around May-July), and a respin of the ISO at around the 6 months stage.

I must add my mustard. :)

This rhythm is all right. Compared to a rolling release distro, the resulting update after the initial installation is at the moment downright cute.

Offline makey

• nOOb
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 03:00:32 pm »
Hi makey, so you only use a live version of Peppermint or you install it into a usb stick?

Sorry man i didn't notice this post, may be my response is a ultra late but, yeah im using only using the live version, nothing persistent. ( No installed )

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 03:02:13 pm »
ISO will be refreshed around Christmas.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec