Choose style:

Author Topic: Feeling Nostalgic  (Read 682 times)

Offline johnny so-low

• everyday's a new disaster
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Feeling Nostalgic
« on: November 03, 2018, 02:23:54 pm »
i was going through some old software looking for my ubuntu change administer password on windows for a friend of mine that locked himself out of his computer .. and look what i came across .. two fresh new distros i was testing while on my journey of distro hopping and learning about this frustrating Linux thing i read about on the internet LOL.. its still frustrating sometimes but i'd like to think i have a  little better hold on it than i did back then , and its through distros like this one that kept me interested long enough to not give up .   
im a hillbelly i lay dwn & my belly makes a hill

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Feeling Nostalgic
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 05:13:42 pm »
Well you tried it before I did then .. my first peppermint was 2 :)
(in fact to this day I still haven't tried One and ICE)

IIRC I did try EasyPeasy on my netbook, but settled on Peppermint 2 instead .. I never did like the Ubuntu Netbook Edition/Remix UI.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:16:35 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 07:53:43 pm »
Nice! I tried Peppermint back then too. Though, I liked it so much I stayed. :D

Offline johnny so-low

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 08:19:10 pm »
i didnt care for easy peasy either , i remember the reason i left peppermint was i was using an old laptop that had some obscure intel graphics chip that there really was no way to get it to play nice especially with my level of knowledge of the command line at the time .... i think i went straight to mint after that and for some reason it worked a little better with the graphics chip ( different Kernel i guess )  ......... outside of testing the waters to see what else was available i stayed with mint till i switched to Lite for one year then i re found peppermint .  I'm Home Now  :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 08:30:05 pm »
EasyPeasy Linux was a great name though .. it attracted me when still quite new(ish) to Linux .. too bad it didn't live up to the name.

Then again if it had, Peppermint might not exist today .. so along with Ubuntu switching to Unity (the reason I went looking for something else for the netbook in the first place), I'll thank em for that at least :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:33:04 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 01:40:28 am »
I was already running Peppermint daily when Ubuntu switched to Unity. I remember a discussion about it on the forum. ;)

I don't know if I ever tried Easy Peasy. I tried so many distros back in the day, it's not even funny. It sounds familiar, but maybe in name only.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 9 - 64bit
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 03:28:23 am »
Hi,

I've been with PeppermintOS for a long time too (maybe even since One -- but I know since Two for sure). I didn't get involved with the forum until much later. And like scifidude79, I was a notorious distro hopper. For a while I had 14 different distros on about 20 partitions! I think I barely used most of them because "my free" time from work was spent keeping them all up to date or replacing one or the other with some new distro ...  :P

But now I've reduced that all to various PeppermintOS releases on the various machines that my wife and I use (currently 6, 7, 8.5 and 9). There is also one installation of Arch (which amazingly has not given me any problems for over two years now, with very regular updates, etc.). I don't use Arch much, but keep it to see if it ever breaks  :D . So much more stable than my disasters trying to keep Manjaro running  >:( . No comparison, really.

Happy computing, everybody!!  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
"Life first -- Peppermint a close 2nd!" -- Zeb

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline johnny so-low

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 01:53:55 pm »
 Slim.fatz you sound as bad as me with the number of computers .. i have one box to play, its my everyday driver that i beat on with every customization adjustment , experiment or new software i can throw at it till it breaks and i have to figure out what went wrong ... then i have one set up as a home security system , one as a media server one as a media production editor , one for my three year old son to play educational games on and watch youtube kids  videos , one that my girlfriend uses for banking and bills , one for business .. annnnd one just cause i wanted it  .... then mind you there are also three android phones that get used quite a bit and three  7 inch tablets for reading before bed  :) .. my family is connected to say the least ..

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 07:04:10 pm »
I think the most I ever had running at once was 6 or 7 Linux distros and Windows. That was during the Peppermint 1 & 2 days. Now, I'm just content having Peppermint 9 on my main computer, and Windows 10 for when I need it, and Peppermint 7 on my Steam Machine.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 01:01:40 am »
My early foray into Linux began out of curiosity with Ubuntu , can't remember the version but it was the one before Unity which almost made me give up on Linux altogether but fortunately was saved by Mint which restored my faith, 

for a while I ran Mint & Peppermint but when Mint became a bit clunky with the introduction of Cinnamon I changed over to Peppermint as my main OS and never looked back Linux has been a revelation to me and would go as far as to say it's changed the way I look at the world, so what began as a curiosity ended up a way of life

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 02:58:29 am »
My first taste of Linux was in the late 90's with RedHat.  I found it very hard to like.  It took me until early 2013 to make my next foray into Linux.  My restart was with Linux Mint Debian Edition with the Cinnamon DE.  I found it really easy and stuck with it until updates were borking whole systems.  I then had a brief and very enjoyable outing with Crunchbang Linux.  That really was a cracking good distro  ;).   I then discovered Peppermint Four, thanks to  Larry Bushy's, Going Linux podcast.  From there on, Peppermint has been my main driver.  The only other Linux distro I've found to be almost as enjoyable, is the Debian Testing based SparkyLinux.  I'm like Graeme, Linux didn't just change the way I use computers.  It changed the way I view the world in general  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 05:31:08 am »
Yep Linux is **way** bigger than a "product", it's a gateway to a community and mindset .. in that respect it's a bit like bikes motorcycles used to be for me, where bikers would always feel a kinship and help each other out.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:59:08 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 10:48:03 pm »
Yep Linux is **way** is bigger than a "product", it's a gateway to a community and mindset .. in that respect it's a bit like bikes motorcycles used to be for me, where bikers would always feel a kinship and help each other out.

You nailed it, PCNetSpec!  This is the exact reason I stay with Peppermint and base my YouTube channel on it.
Thanks!

Steve

My main machine:
AMD FX-8320 Piledriver (Vishera) 3.5GHz (4.1GHz turbo) (Eight Core) AM3+ 8MB Cache
AMD Black Edition Copper HeatPipe EXTRA QUIET fan
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX AM3+, SLI & Cross Fire, SATA3, USB 3.0
16GB (2x8GB) PC17000 DDR3 2133 Dual Channel (high