Author Topic: What about the next release?  (Read 718 times)

Offline darknet

• /home/darknet
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 respin 64-bit
What about the next release?
« on: October 18, 2018, 05:05:55 am »
Whit Lxde been dropped in favour for Lxqt by many distro's what is peppermint going to use in the near future?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: What about the next release?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 05:28:04 am »
The next release (Peppermint 9 Respin, around Xmas-ish) will just be an updated Peppermint 9 ISO with a few small changes.

Peppermint 10 (probably May/June 2019-ish) will also still be built on the 18.04 code base (because we only base on LTS's).

So this decision won't really be necessary until 2020.

What I can tell you is:-

a) We have no plans to go with LXQt

b) We only have a couple of LXDE components remaining even now (lxsession and lxappearance) .. these could easily be swapped out, or we could remain with those LXDE components as they're not going to disappear any time soon .. another option might be to simply fork those components.

c) We're a secretive bunch, so even when a decision is made we're unlikely to announce it before any release .. don't you like surprises ? ;)

The decision isn't made yet, but you can be sure we're already experimenting with options .. but as I suggested, we're not currently under any time pressure.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline darknet

• /home/darknet
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 respin 64-bit
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 05:50:57 am »
This answer now really meets my expectations, peppermint 10 also based on the 18.04 code base and in the meantime received the answer that no Lxqt will be used.
Thank you for this.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 06:05:37 am »
No problem my mate, sorry I couldn't give you a more precise answer, as I said we like surprises...

Rest assured though LXQt is HIGHLY unlikely to be one of them ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline manyroads

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 07:12:04 am »
Just to offer a slightly different perspective. I have been working quite a bit lately with LXQT-kwin11 (no openbox or compton).  It is really very nice, fast and light. I'm not suggesting that Peppermint use any DE in particular, it's just that LXQT is making some nice progress.

One of the beauties of Linux is the choices (options) available.  8)