Choose style:

Author Topic: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to be support for 10 years (really, really LTS)  (Read 391 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to be support for 10 years (really, really LTS)
« on: November 18, 2018, 11:56:09 am »
Canonical releases a new version of its popular Ubuntu operating system every six months — but most versions are only officially supported for nine months. That means if you want a stable version of Ubuntu that you can run for a long time, you’ll probably want to opt for an LTS release like Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Those letters stand for Long Term Support, and up until recently that meant Canonical would offer five years of official support.

But now Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth says the company will support Ubuntu 18.04 for twice as long.

LINK: https://goo.gl/NXiYcR ( 11/17/2018 at 5:58 PM by Brad Linder - Liliputing )

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to be support for 10 years (really, really LTS)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 04:53:27 pm »
That's damn handy for things like webservers .. it's also gonna give them an edge in that space.

Gonna need to upgrade our VPS to 18.04 then :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 04:54:59 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to be support for 10 years (really, really LTS)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 06:15:13 pm »
Yep, web servers, media and gaming machines. I'm going to have to upgrade my Steam Machine now. I've had it on Peppermint 7 due to not wanting to upgrade it until it's necessary. Even backing up your games to a separate drive takes a long time, as does restoring them. I'm not completely sure it's any faster to do it that way than re-downloading them after the upgrade. ::)

Shuttleworth has always known what way the breeze is blowing. With Win7 support winding down and the uncertain future of Win10, he's positioned himself to be a great alternative for things like servers. He's slowly been extending the time for LTS releases for the past several years.