Choose style:

Author Topic: Some P4 problems on old netbook  (Read 1836 times)

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
Some P4 problems on old netbook
« on: August 01, 2014, 02:20:50 pm »
Hello - a request for help.  :-X

A friend is borrowing my old netbook which has P4 on. It used to work no problem. His desktop died and he used it (hooked up to his monitor) as a stop-gap until a new desktop was sorted (I helped install new mobo and HD and re-install Win 7).

We were able to use an enclosure to connect the old HD from the dead desktop and most of the files were backed up to an external HD. He also backed up 50-75 GB or so to the netbook.

When I last tried to use the netbook the task-bar has disappeared. Right-clicking on the background also has no effect at all. The only thing that works is Terminal. I have no idea how how the netbook became screwed up but it seemed to happen after trying to use the netbook after being connected to the monitor (ie seemed to work fine on monitor but not standalone). So I thought maybe it was a resolution issue especially with task bar not working. Odd. I did try the xrandr command and the resolution seemed to show the correct setting for the netbook.

Anyway. I've been live booting into PM5 on a USB stick to access the old files, which are there. Also hooked up to an external HD but it keeps hanging on trying to copy over all the files. Not sure if this is a netbook HD problem or his ext HD problem! Have told him to copy in small amounts, rather than all 75GB in one go.

So my questions are:

Is there an easy way to 'get back' the taskbar so that PM4 can load as normal without having to live-boot into PM5 which is slow?
Is there a reason why computers 'hang' when copying large amounts of files from one machine to another? Are there tips for doing this.

I don't have the netbook with me as it's at my friend's. The old INXI read out (which I pasted a while back on the old forum) is below.

If any one can provide advice it's appreciated. Thanks.

Code: [Select]
mps@mps-NC10 ~ $ inxi -F
System:    Host: mps-NC10 Kernel: 3.8.0-30-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Peppermint Four
Machine:   Mobo: SAMSUNG model: NC10 Bios: Phoenix version: 11CA.M015.20090908.RHU date: 09/08/2009
CPU:       Single core Intel Atom CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3)
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 9.1.4
Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.8.0-30-generic
Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath5k
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:21:63:92:c1:dc
           Card-2: Marvell 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:13:77:ae:26:5e
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (1.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54321 size: 160.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 145G used: 2.8G (2%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 141 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 345.4/2005.9MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
mps@mps-NC10 ~ $ ^C
mps@mps-NC10 ~ $

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
Re: Some P4 problems on old netbook
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 02:36:27 pm »
PM4 is dead in the water as far as updates and installing programs go, however pm5 is a 5 year LTS release, you may want to just install p5 on that machine for him.  :)
According to your inxi readout that is a fast enough machine and has plenty of ram to run PM5, I have pert near the same netbook and I am running linux mint 17 cinnamon on mine which is 3 times more bloated and ram hoggish then PM 5 is....  ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 02:38:40 pm by rjm65 »
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline mattosensei

• Linux with 'L' plates
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 6
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 02:49:10 pm »
PM4 is dead in the water as far as updates and installing programs go, however pm5 is a 5 year LTS release, you may want to just install p5 on that machine for him.  :)
According to your inxi readout that is a fast enough machine and has plenty of ram to run PM5, I have pert near the same netbook and I am running linux mint 17 cinnamon on mine which is 3 times more bloated and ram hoggish then PM 5 is....  ;)

Thanks for that.

I want PM5 on the netbook which I also want back!  :D

The issue is that those old backed-up files are on the netbook (PM4) and the drive is not (I don't think) partitioned with files and operating systems on separate partitions. So I don't think I can safely upgrade to PM5 whilst files that he wants to keep are still on there and not yet backed up. Unless I did partition it that way, but I can't remember and it's not clear from the INXI.  :-\

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 02:59:00 pm »
I don't have the right answer for you, but if it was me, I would boot the machine from a live peppermint 4 ISO since that is what you have on the machine.... Then from the live session I would copy off whatever he wants to save to a usb stick, then boot it Peppermint 5 live and install 5 wiping out the entire drive and starting fresh...  then copy your files back from the stick.....   ;)
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40