Choose style:

Author Topic: Wireless printer without a router  (Read 759 times)

Offline txtinman

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9- 32bit and 64bit
Wireless printer without a router
« on: October 05, 2018, 04:52:28 pm »
In my RV I get my internet access from the campground I'm staying at wirelessly. I have no router, but I want to connect with my Samsung printer. It has wireless capabilities, but no control panel. I'm thinking a ad hoc connection would do it, but I haven't found any instructions for my situation. They all dealt with sharing a wired connection at the computer. Has anyone else tried this and been able to get it to work?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Wireless printer without a router
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 05:10:15 pm »
I don't think you want ad-hock, but it still may be doable if both printer and router have static IP's and your driver is set up to print to an IP rather than a hostname.

The reason you'd need static IP's is because there would be no DHCP server to give your printer an IP.

An awful lot of printers these days support "Wifi Direct" which is designed specifically for this .. what model of Samsung are we talking about ?

But at the end of the day in an RV, wouldn't USB just be easier ?

According to this
http://www.samsungsetup.com/ts/manual/Samsung%20M288x%20Series/English/manual/BABBHHBB.htm#
you're gonna need a Windows /Mac machine (and your printer software) to set it up as an Ad-Hock configurastion
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:21:10 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline txtinman

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9- 32bit and 64bit
Re: Wireless printer without a router
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 09:18:53 pm »
It's a Express 2820DW. I can print with a USB cable, but there are two of us in the RV. It would be easier with wireless. And, I don't have a Windows machine.