Choose style:

Author Topic: etc/skel peristence  (Read 307 times)

Offline manyroads

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
etc/skel peristence
« on: September 24, 2018, 06:26:49 pm »
I am trying to build a user spin and need to figure out the magic associated with preserving ice-ssb links in Plank or elsewhere. I have tried placing .gnome desktop settings into etc/skel but that seems inadequate. Any ideas???  All assistance is most appreciated.   Thanks.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
Re: etc/skel peristence
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 06:41:55 pm »
the contents of /etc/skel only gets copied to a users home folder as the account is first created. So if you're doing something like a systemback spin this isn't going to help as the user account already exists.

Though they would get copied across to any NEW user account created on the system.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline manyroads

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 07:57:09 pm »
more what I was looking for is a way for me to create ice-ssb links that are system-wide, not just linked to a given user account. I want to build them so that I am able to create a an iso that I can move across PCs and retain the ice-ssb setup. Programs/apps etc are no problem but i am stymied by those little ice-ssb guys. ;)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 08:41:00 pm »
I'm not fully understanding the problem...

How are you building the 'spin' ?

and when are the ICE items disappearing from plank ? .. when you create a new user account ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline manyroads

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 11:06:56 am »
I am creating a Genealogists' Workbench, basically a desktop loaded with useful tools and links for conducting genealogical research. Included among the items I want preserved are ice-ssb links to select web sites (like archive.org, nara database, ancestry.com, familysearch.org, and more.

I want to create a clean desktop and then build an iso image that folks can download (it's all free) and install on a PC of their choice... or alternatively they can run the iso as a liveUSB.

I notice all the above features are built into the regular peppermint release.  I am trying to 'simply' add my ice-ssb universe to those provided 'natively' by peppermint and include both on a reworked/restyled desktop layout.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 11:11:54 am »
But what are you using to build the ISO image ? .. systemback ?
(I need to know this to work out whether your ISO has an already defined username and password .. or whether a user specified account is created during the installation process)

And which web browser are you using for your ICE SSB's
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:15:29 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline manyroads

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 11:57:40 am »
I am trying to use either PinguyBuilder or Distroshare or LinuxLive.... as you can tell I'm pretty clueless as to which will work best. I am VERY open to using whatever you recommend, assuming I have the "where-with-all" to follow the process to make it work. :)

I truly appreciate your help!

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 12:01:11 pm »
Can you please answer ALL questions asked ;)

Which web browser are you using for the ICE SSB backend ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline manyroads

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 12:03:55 pm »
I hope to use both chromium & firefox ... I apologize for the omission. (Blind in one eye, can't see out of the other, I guess).

If I have to choose, I'd guess firefox is more widely used, but again I'm happy to take your recommendation.

Offline manyroads

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 12:20:55 pm »
Perhaps I missed another pont involving my install of Peppermint 9... I'm using firefox right now. So my current links are firefox based.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 12:45:58 pm »
I've never used any of those tools, so I have no idea how they create an ISO....

Have you tried creating an ISO yet ?

If so, when you install the resulting ISO does the user need to enter a username/password that's already set .. or does he have to create an account with hois own username and password ?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:49:56 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline manyroads

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 01:29:53 pm »
Yes I have created isos... I'll place a link here when I get a decent looking one, hopefully in the next hour or so. (Famous last words...)

All of the tools I mentioned seem to work pretty much the same from the install side.  The best functionality though is with distroshare and pinguybuilder... they allow the iso to function as both a LiveUSB and offer an "install" option which functions like that you offer with peppermintos installer.  They are a bit difficult to make 'pretty' but I'm working on that.

Offline manyroads

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 01:37:45 pm »
opps... the virtualbox install just blewup. So much for my one hour... :(