Choose style:

Author Topic: [torvalds/linux] Code of Conduct: Let's revamp it.  (Read 2438 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: [torvalds/linux] Code of Conduct: Let's revamp it.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 08:39:21 am »
They act like there's a plug to pull. There's not. It's funny the crap people with delusions of grandeur come up with. Even if a programmer pulls his/her code, another will step in with more code. (as Zeb said) That's how it goes with open source.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 02:05:02 pm »
Haven't got time to watch videos right now, but when I see the word 'pull', I wonder if ppl know what 'pull' means in Linuxland:)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 02:13:10 pm »
BTW, for shiggles, I signed this last night.

There were approximately 600 supporters, at the time...  ;)

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 02:57:34 pm »
BTW, for shiggles, I signed this last night.

There were approximately 600 supporters, at the time...  ;)

Thanks for the link, signed. But i am very sure that this will not help, it is something bigger behind this all, imagine a tower of babylon and a similiar Babylonian language chaos, also in thoughts, beliefs and convictions, my best guess is that we will facing the fact the globalism is a fail because it is not our nature. BTW those SIWs do not stop... are they part of the #walkaway-movement? (a question beside of that)

@ Zeb

i'd like to think what you say, but life has teached me, it will always come different and worse. :( Look, we ... humans always hope the best, but this thing is really huge, with unpredictable consequences, no one can tell me what the future brings after this disaster / rolling stone which causes an avalanche, linux means billions of users, thousends of businesses, the whole internet is based on Linux (servers, blockchain, cryptocurrencies, energy companies, Departments of many countries and so on).

@ PCNetSpec

according to those Flat-earthers, a storm in the teacup defines as a massive disaster ;)  would be good if you are right, but i don't think so, also do not forget, in such times rules are meaning not much to humans, if you loose your surroundings by SJWs, you will do the unpredictable to stay save... remind #itsonlyimpossibleuntilitsdone (Quote: Nitrux - Nomad main theme wallpaper) we believe that it is impossible to remove code from the kernel... the future will show if we are right.

PS: it looks like the film "Idiocrazy" becomes reality  :P
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:09:24 pm by CRLinux »
open source + SJWs + Politics + DoubleStandards = No future! and very hateful present! :O + open source becomes open sauce (too many cooks you know)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 04:59:46 pm »
Thanks for the link, signed. But i am very sure that this will not help, it is something bigger behind this all, imagine a tower of babylon and a similiar Babylonian language chaos, also in thoughts, beliefs and convictions, my best guess is that we will facing the fact the globalism is a fail because it is not our nature. BTW those SIWs do not stop... are they part of the #walkaway-movement? (a question beside of that)

We'll probably end up with 3 internets.

They're already saying we can expect 2 internets

I'm predicting a 3rd internet AKA Dark web will become more mainstream.

We'll see...  8)

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 07:11:34 pm »
was not there a 4th internet in the planning - via satellites - only sending to users, like a tv-program but files + infos, IIRC two or three years ago?

at least we have an analog life, there SJWs can not really exist (thats why they are whining), they NEED the Internet to spit their poison all over the world, in the midst of our living rooms
anyway they have not all cups in the shelf, not all planks on the wooden fence, there might burn a light somewhere but at home is nobody... cheaters they are ... exploiters ... bug-users  8)

Maybe we'll see .... also the true source of this attack against open source ... maybe its an hostile acquisition from some members of the Linux-Foundation ... to take over this huge market

I wish you peace
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:21:20 pm by CRLinux »
open source + SJWs + Politics + DoubleStandards = No future! and very hateful present! :O + open source becomes open sauce (too many cooks you know)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 08:01:00 pm »
we believe that it is impossible to remove code from the kernel... the future will show if we are right.

Oh as I understand it, it's certainly possible to pull contributions from the Linux kernel .. code contributions do not entail turning over your copyrights.

All a contributor is agreeing to is that they give permission for their contribution (which are automatically copyrighted to the author) to be distributed as part of the kernel, and can subsequently be copied and used.

There is NO stipulation in the GPL v2 that says that permission cannot be rescinded by the copyright holder.

The kernel has always been licensed under the GPL v2

The GPL v3 contains an anti-rescind clause where any contributor agrees that in submitting their code they agree that they cannot rescind these distribution rights.

I suspect that any lawyer would be able to build a case that because the anti-rescind clause was recognised as necessary in the GPL v3, that the kernels staying on GPL v2 allows copyright to be rescinded.

[EDIT]

IIRC the reason most often quoted for NOT moving the kernel to the GPL v3 was that it would entail having to get ALL past contributors to agree to this rescind clause (where they'd 'effectively' have to give up their copyrights)  .. something that was considered unfeasible simply because nobody has a list of everyone that submitted patches, so might cause more problems than it would solve.

[END EDIT]

That doesn't change my opinion that nobody is going to pull any submissions, certainly unless Linus sides with them .. in which case I think the kernel is in trouble anyway .. but Linus isn't going to kill his baby.

In all seriousness this DOES have the potential to be massively damaging, but I remain convinced that like everything else political surrounding Linux, the press will have a field day, there'll be a ton of speculation, lines will be drawn in the sand .. aaaaand it'll all blow over.

Personally I think Linus is playing a blinder .. just disappear for a bit, and watch the sh*tstorm that inevitably leads to everyone begging for his return .. he doesn't need to do or say anything, just go on holiday :)

The CoC is stupid and totally unnecessary .. the kernel was doing just fine without it .. what is it they say, "if it aint broke.....".
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:20:51 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 08:11:08 am »
[Previous post removed - in agreement with the author]

Please don't let this topic slip into personal attack on lifestyle choices .. that's not what this forum is for.

We all have our own personal stance on lifestyle choices, but as no 'stance' can be shown to be more valid than another, public discussions on this serve no purpose and nearly always degenerate into a pointless tribal slanging match.

Feel free to debate the political rights/wrongs of the CoC, and how it may affect Linux, but PLEASE try to keep it impersonal.

TIA :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:26:39 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 11:47:54 am »
I agree its ok  8) (and i was very angry, sorry for that), but can we say that the new CoC is an attack on each ones own lifestyle*, spiced with very political interests (i guess there are also monetary interests), so that we can conclude that the CoC has to be free from any political direction / behaviour / conviction and as such it doesn't need this new (and stupid) one? *(linux is some sort of lifestyle too, an open-culture, if you want to call it so)  :-\

With the usage of the kernel (those ones which are newly generated under the rules of the new CoC, ver. 4.20 and higher, and there indeed code can be removed, beforehand) we must willingly / not willingly agree to this new CoC-Nonsense, or we can not use the new kernels? Am i right if i say i can not approve to this new CoC nor can i accept which consequences this new CoC would have to the contributors / developers, most of them are young and hotheaded (ger. unbeherrscht / sich nicht im Griff haben / schnell aus der Haut fahren / sehr emotional), so i can not use the new kernels and by that also the new linux-distros based on them, and installed Distros which are updating into the new 4.20+ kernels / linuxfirmwares?  :-\

@ VinDSL
I signed this last night.

ca. 2200 actually have signed, and growing  :) btw. this are more then the people who have decided to implement the new CoC!

Added:
Quote: Come together, find a day, and pull the switch, clean out the dead code! Quote End,

While i am watching and listen this i am agree, and i am scarified from huge amount of firmations / projects who are already on the new CoC and how long they are already there, to be honest with myself i cant use any of their software, because i dont want nor will agree to the new CoC! Time to blacklist all on the adopters list, at least back before the birth of this crap in 2014, before they have signed this pact with the devil, i.e. MyPaint an essential part of my workflow - deleted from my pc! Handbrake was in plan to row it in the workflow for video-production, never will i install this thing again! Atom - bye! and many many more... dammit i have to timeshift my pc back to 2014 to clean out this new CoC related stuff  :-[
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:27:38 pm by CRLinux »

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 01:25:34 pm »
I'm trying to understand you here, I really am... and in a way I do, but...

At times like this, I'm really happy that I have a laptop running NetBSD. Last time, when microsoft bought github, I didn't...  :'(
I still use github... and I will until the day I feel it's enough.

Honestly, why exploding in anger? There are still alternatives...

Note, I'm not, in anyway, pushing you away from Linux. I'm just saying that if you feel the way you feel, maybe it's time to look around, make a move and be prepared to accept some issues.
I'm happy with NetBSD, it's a great system, but software availability is somewhat restricted.

I guess, you are very much aware of the alternatives...
just saying  ;)

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 02:18:30 pm »
Yes pin you are right, we have alternatives, but how long did they last? NetBSD, yeah i have seen it / the logo in shell (screenshot).

you can take a look into OpenIndiana.org too, propably i will switch to it, because its save, but its a sacrifice project-wise, i do not know yet if Devuan (devuan.org) has joined that new CoC, but that's an option too, if they have not signed. TrueOS is FreeBSD based and by that a nogo, that's i have heard. Haiku is far away from being usable for production, i was a BeOS 5 user. As last option and by dropping my project for all time being, i can step back to Amithlon and AmigaOS3.9 - it has enough to hold up basic communication and office work, but in creativity its a blast back into the stone age.

The reason for my anger is, my project is MY Project, i want and will keep it free from any political statement. While setting up the workflow for the future, a damn long list of programs and tools, that i need, and the new base system i prefere is linux, and now after many weeks of work and testing the new kernel is CoC'ed, the way is blocked, i and my project can not grow into that direction :-[  and actually i consider they (devs of parts / programs in my workflow) have already signed to this CoC years ago, and i have supported this shit by using their CoC'ed programs. Its simply a mess, i'm intentended to take revenge for abusing my creative work to gain acceptance for their weird CoC, i feel myself abused!

From a different perspective - back in November '17 i must experience a raid0-crash (8 TB), win7-based, maybe it was an attack from outthere, but it costs me nearly 90% of my creative projects / support files / daybooks / documentations / notes / fotos... you name it, it was a stump directly into my face, and we here / my friends and i could not found any foolproof explanation why this happened, thats why i think it was/maybe an attack, not a virus! Comodo was protecting my system very trustworthy, maybe an active attack, i dont know... now i sit here with the rest of my files, and have to restart the whole project, thinking Linux is the best choice i could make... and ending up in this CoC-mess, i should throw this system out of my window ... too many occasions / coincidences ... maybe you can imagine how i feel myself, no progress with my creative project for now, i am loosing so much time...  :-\ What my project is? hmm, difficult to describe, and maybe the wrong place for it, just a thread (april 2017 - but attention the site lists the comments as newest first by default)

https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/community/forum/TheCommons/9802

if you are interested

and a pic if reading is not your case

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.md.web.upload/mdweb/20170507/64638655b3a44a4e915803e62dcc678e.jpg

anyway, thanks for your advice pin ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:42:39 pm by CRLinux »

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 02:41:57 pm »
I heard this from an Illumus fanatic... "illumus is dead"...
Also, I've seen it many times BSD is dying...
Your call...
There are new kids on the block, though... have you seen https://www.redox-os.org/ ?

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2018, 02:44:11 pm »
Ehmm Gitlab based, Gitlab has signed the new CoC! but i take a look, their (redox-os) sources did not contain any new CoC related stuff! will it last, who knows?

btw dead is good, it will stay as it is (sarcasm). ;)
and we can, facing this CoC-situation, revive several alternative things, i guess that has something real good in it :)

beside of that, i should pack my bags now, because pepp 8 is no longer on my system, this forum is only for pepp-users
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:04:23 pm by CRLinux »

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2018, 04:05:36 pm »
Am I missing something here ?

At least in the short term (at this point it's too early to say if it'll affect code quality) how does the new CoC affect you as an end user ? .. or are you a kernel developer ?

I personally think CoC's are unnecessary (and stupid when applied because of external political pressure), but I also couldn't care less if developers want to adopt one as long as I'm not one of them, and it doesn't affect code quality .. why should it bother me ?

If I went looking for something political to disagree with for everything I use .. I'd end up using nothing .. I doubt if there's a single company/product in the world where I couldn't find something to disagree with.

I'd agree that there needs to be a stand against uninterested third parties applying their world vision on everyone else .. but I'm not going to take that out on the Linux kernel .. surely that's playing into their hands.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:15:09 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2018, 05:04:45 pm »
@ PCNetSpec

the code is already "infected" in many programs / projects it doesnt only comply to the kernel, since 2014, i write actual from my revived IRO-install which works fine here status Dez 2015 (file dates of the live cd) and this archived link from Nov 2015 documents only a view adopters of the Code of Catastrophy, since then the mess is growing like cancer, look at the adopters list today, and you face heavy impacts in many side projects, i'm not a coder, but i want to compile an own kernel special for my machine, and i want to change some things if needed, so i'm somehow involved, anyway in this adopters list (actually), i see many well known names, which i had not on the radar... MyPaint was such a case, i have tested this program two years ago, and kept in reserve for my planned workflow, now i must recognize that this is CoC'ed aleady and even IROLinux cant hold it, because its from Dez 2015 there MyPaint has always adopted the CoC. But i'm optimistic that IROLinux is save enough for usage - its based on 15.10 the oldarchives are valid and usable, so i could maintain the system so far, IRO can hold most of my planned programs in workflow. I should mention it, that is all baremetal, no VBox, i have issues with the Raid, IRO does not recognize it, but i'm sure that i will find a solution.

i want to assure you, that i do not want to search for everything political to disagree with, i.e. to position myself / identify myself, but i want my project free from any political and i have work for years, so i must find myself a way to hold, cover the project and can create the things i have in the planning, maybe i will drop my actual machine and exchange it with the Dual-CPU intel Xeon Serverboard which sleeps in the cellar, it is absolut intact ...

and ehmm i have removed pepp, because you were absolut right, it is not build to hold a cinnamon-system, in other words i have lost a lot of peppiness (speed) and mintiness (stability), call me dumb, but i need cinnamon (at least) as GUI, so no pepp for me, sadly,  :'( even its a very good distro  :)

I dont want to play my project into their hands / under their juristiction, in my projects context (hmm a bit erotic) i would be the "Fressfest" for those SJWs, and this could not be allowed! So my system and workflow has to be as clean as possible. Its very difficult and complicated!

... and if those devs/coders really join, and find a day, and pull the switch, we have at least older abandoned OSes/Distros which are working, and i am await that they pull the switch, thats my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:08:14 pm by CRLinux »