Choose style:

Author Topic: peppermnint 5 installs but won't boot once the USB is removed  (Read 7920 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: peppermnint 5 installs but won't boot once the USB is removed
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 09:25:06 pm »
You can certainly do it on a Windows PC .. in fact I'd advise it

You need to format the stick as FAT not FAT 32

And you need to download the BIOS, extract it, and copy the
FLASHIT..EXE
and
KAV60.fd
Files to the USB stick

As I said, if you only have a Large USB stick you'll have to create a small partition at the beginningof the drive and format that as FAT .. windows formats large partitions as FAT32 automagically
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline marqu

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 10:12:21 pm »
OK, 228 Meg stick with the first partition a 16 MB Fat 16 with FLASHIT and KAV60.fd in it

Ready to fire!

Offline marqu

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 10:15:31 pm »
Should i take out the P5 flash drive before BIOS flashing?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 10:22:05 pm »
YES

The only USB stick that should be inserted when you plug the power lead  back in (Whilst holding Fn+ESc) should be the recovery USB stick
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 10:35:30 pm »
Tip

The Acer manual says to hold the Fn+ESc key and insert the power lead (batttery removed)

But the procedure for the ZG5 was slightly different (it required the battery and power lead to be plugged in) insert the USB stick, hold the Fn+Esc keys, then press the power button .. when the power button lights, release the keys and you'll see the light on the USB stick flashing as it's accessed ... you then just wait until it automatically reboots.

So you mayhave to play until you figure it out

references for the zg5 procedure (be aware the BIOS file names will be different):
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-95127-acer-aspire-one-zg5-won-t-boot-up
and
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=9966.msg71970#msg71970

You'll know it worked if the USB stick lights up whilst it's being accessed, then after a short while the machine reboots itself and you see the Acer screen

Just keep trying till you get it right ..

Anyway, I'm off to bed .. good luck, and remeber if it doesn't work the first time, keep trying .. it took me a while to get it right the first time

and if necessary, google AOD250 BIOS recovery procedure .. there'll be tons of info online .. probably including youtube videos
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:41:42 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline marqu

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2014, 07:40:03 pm »
Well,
I should have bought a lottery card.  I now own a plank.  What once worked well with Peppermint 3 turned south after Peppermint 5.  I could see it installed on the hard drive from looking while it ran from a LiveUSB session.  It had a boot folder.  But now, after 3 different USB sticks and one memory stick all formatted to FAT16 with a 16 meg partition and various iterations of the BIOS files,  renaming etc. etc.  I have a blue screen and a HD that runs and runs and it definitely does NOT boot the USB Peppermints anymore.  Not even Puppy. 
The number of black and blue screens in the Acer family is notable.
ACER is totally useless, their repair manual wants you to use a USB Floppy disk for whatevers sake!
So I will have to put this little guy aside, maybe see what the repair guys cost.  Pushing 12 hours on this one, I am down to about $10 an hour if I get it to work now considering the cost of a replacement, (which I would never do). 
Thanks for the help, I will hack at it on rainy days.

JIm  in Minnesota, where summer is a time to do
nothing

Offline iamesperambient

• Veteran
  • a totally awesome dude
    • View Profile
    • i AM esper (drone ambient music)
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 64 bit
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 12:51:32 am »
You should have also tried to boot and install from a CD that how installed peppermint 5, i found it much smoother.
Sorry to hear you troubles.
http://iamesper.bandcamp.com
boring drone music from NJ

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 08:20:41 am »
Sorry to hear that, but it's not a Peppermint 5 issue .. Aspire One BIOS's just simply go wonky every now and again after being booted to a USB stick (any OS) .. heck they don't even need an OS on the USB stick .. removing a USB stick during the BIOS post screen can also cause the next boot to fail.

I know this because I own 3 of em, and need to recover each about 3 times a year  ::) .. which is why I have an old 256MB USB stick already configured to do so.

I'm assuming that's why Acer/Insyde included the BIOS recovery boot block in the first place

As you've seen, it's ALL OVER the interweb, and those people weren't installing Peppermint .. just a pity (and coincidence) it happened whilst installing Peppermint  ;)

If the AA! still reads the USB stick during the procedure, it's still recoverable .. if not, I'm afraid you now own (as you suggest) a plastic plank .. I'm hoping it's the former.

Did you at any stage get the Acer screen ?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:26:10 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline marqu

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 11:15:44 am »
Nope, just a lot of blinking on the usb stick or the memory stick in it's universal adapter.  Got to a blue screen then stuck.  Hard drive whirling away.  Green power light on.  I tried to see if I could boot with Puppy but no go.  I know Pepper is in there, just Acers goofy BIOS holding me back.
I of course didn't follow directions completely  ::)  Couldn't find the wincris program referred to in the Acer repair manual, at least not one that would let me use a USB stick, all only look for a 1.44 floppy. 
I used Peppermint on my desktop to make new partition on my sticks and USB flash drive that were primary, FAT 16 formatted and 16 MB. 
I didn't understand how to do the next lines of code #2-#5 so I then moved the two folders KAV60.fd and FLASH from Acer BIOS DOS download onto them.  Also in subsequent tries renamed FLASH to FLASH.EXE.

I've got nowhere to go but up now!  Just that I need to let the base of my brains take a break from this hard office chair.
Got more ideas?
I'm thinking taking it apart and looking for ants or something.
jim

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2014, 11:30:54 am »
I'll see what I can find online that's specific to the D250

But I do know when I tried formatting my 256MB stick using Linux .. it didn't work.
Dunno why, it *should* be the same as doing it in Windows .. just sayin ;)

If I'm right .. formatting a 1GB or smaller USB stick in Windows (FAT) will result in a FAT16 formatting unless you specifically request FAT32.
2GB or larger will result in FAT32

The partition shouldn't need to be only 16MB .. just as long as it's the FIRST (or only) partition on the drive and formatted as Fat16

As I said, I'll have a looksee around and see if I can find something specific to the AOD250 .. if I do, I'll post it here.

[EDIT]

This guy:
http://www.laptop-forums.com/threads/emergency-bios-recovery-method-for-acer-aspire-one-d250.17832/
seems to suggest having ALL the files from the BIOS included in the root of the USB stick.

I'd still suggest formatting a 1GB or smaller USB stick with a single partition (filling the drive) but formatted on a Windows PC.
(ie. no special partitioning, just a normal 1GB or smaller USB stick formatted to FAT not FAT32 on a Windows PC)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:52:56 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec