Choose style:

Author Topic: peppermnint 5 installs but won't boot once the USB is removed  (Read 7922 times)

Offline marqu

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 5
Re: peppermnint 5 installs but won't boot once the USB is removed
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 09:04:02 pm »
the command was typed correctly, it was copying the OS response manually to paste here that was incorrect.
Whatever   sudo blkid    gets ya it's above now.
jim

Offline marqu

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 09:16:43 pm »
Anybody still there?
I don't know what to make of all the above information.  It seems that I have a disk and partitions with Linux on them.  Just that the netbook won't do anything other than turn on a backlight unless the USB with Peppermint is attached.
jim

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 02:28:36 am »
Good morning Jim, I was just having another look at your problem.  Your machine appears to be booting to your LiveUSB fine but nothing happens when you do a standard boot. This leads me to thinking that maybe your hard drive is not at the top of your boot order list.  Go into your BIOS and check.   This varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.  Hold down either F2, F12 or Delete while booting are the common actions.  If it is not at the top, edit the list so it is.   Reboot your computer.  I hope this helps - good luck  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 01:46:17 pm »
Sorry, got lost for a week....

If you're still having problems let me know and we'll see if GRUB needs reinstalling to the HDD.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline marqu

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 12:10:26 am »
I tried the suggestions above to enter the Bios setup but I do not get any Acer logo or Bios screen with the different key stroke choices, just a backlit screen until I power off then startup again and  I just get the Peppermint loading screen. 
I can feel the drive working.  I am thinking maybe to go back to Linux Puppy and work forward?
JIm

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 01:58:11 am »
Good morning marqu, I see you are still having problems.  Okay, after some digging around, try rebooting your ACER while holding down F1 or Ctrl+Alt+Esc.  Sorry I can't be more specific, as I said there is no standard way of doing this.  The manufacturers change this from model to model, it is really annoying I know. 

If you do decide to go with Puppy Linux you must be made aware of something that I think is a major shortcoming.  Puppy Linux runs by default as "root".  This poses IMHO, major security issues.  Especially if you are new to Linux; one mistake and you could loose everything.   Just be really careful.  Good luck  ;)!!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:17:09 am by AndyInMokum »
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 07:18:40 pm »
Have you tried simply reinstalling Peppermint 5 .. and this time making sure NOT to tick "LVM" or "Encryption" ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline SeanVN

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 09:28:11 pm »
All this indicates that the peppermint os team need to do far more work on the installer.  I don't know why installers have to be so crude.  When linux is booting up and something is missing why does it have to flake?  Why can't it print "Can't find bla, bla, bla file - please input where it is." and then go fix the problem.  It seems that installers are written by C.S. 101 students in poor quality C.  Why not write something sophisticated that can detect problems and ask for missing things and then go and repair the setup.  Also a lot of installers are extremely aggressive about wiping out data when that should be an absolute last resort.  You have no business wiping out users data without warning them at least 3 times in which direction they are going.

Offline marqu

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 10:08:31 am »
Team Pep,
thank you the help so far.  I am learning code!  though my last foray into that was a system called Fortran, whoa!
The various key strokes  F2, F10, F12, Delete, Cmd Alt whatever don't raise anything.  I do not get the Acer start logo either so something is buried or gone. 
Like, where did the Bios go?
When I reinstall Peppermint 5 it tells me i already have an installation and do I want to install alongside it or replace it.  I have tried both. 
This is a work week so my posts will be spaced out ?  spread out I mean.
Jim

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 10:24:10 am »
It seems to me you either set the BIOS to boot the LiveUSB, and when saving the BIOS it became corrupted .. so it's stuck wanting to boot from the USB port .. so you can currently only boot the Live environment.

Or somehow you placed stage 1 of the GRUB bootloader on the USB sticks MBR rather than the hard drive .. BIOS inaccessibility being incidental.

What model of Acer is this ?

If this is a laptop .. what happens if you turn off the Acer, then turn it back on, and immediately hit and hold the F2 key .. does it not go to the BIOS ?

We need to figure out if you're still booting the "Live" environment from the USB stick, or if you're actually booting the Peppermint on the hard drive with the bootloader on the USB stick....

Please boot the PC into Peppermint (as you have been) with the USB stick inserted and post the output from:
Code: [Select]
ls -a /home
and
Code: [Select]
mount
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:27:39 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline marqu

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 07:07:07 pm »
This is an Acer Aspire One netbook,  AOD250
If I hold the F2 key as suggested the screen just holds backlit, never goes to BIOS, until I release and then it will start up in peppermint

/cow on / type overlayfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
/dev/sdb1 on /cdrom type vfat (ro,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/loop0 on /rofs type squashfs (ro,noatime)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/999/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=peppermint)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 07:28:05 pm »
Yeah it's still booting the Live session from the USB stick.

Try this...

Turn off your Aspire One

remover the power lead

remove the battery (so there's absolutely NO power to the laptop).

Press the power button and hold it for a couple of seconds(to discharge any remaining power in the capacitors).

Replace the battery

Replace the power lead

Power on the PC

Did you get the Acer screen this time ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline marqu

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 07:36:01 pm »
No Acer screen.  It sits about a minute, then the usb stick starts flashing and there is a 1/4 second flash of a smaller baby blue screen then right into peppermint startup.  I feel I should be ready to try some keystrokes when that little blue screen flashes by.
jim

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 08:38:56 pm »
OK there is a BIOS recovery procedure for the AOD250, which seems the same as the one I've used many times on AOA110L (aspire one zg5 netbooks), but I can't say I've ever personally had any experience of the AOD250.

I'm going to post some links at the end of this postto the BIOS, service manaul, and a page that tells you how to create a BIOS recovery USB stick under Linux.

You'll have to make up your own mind if you want to try this, I've never had it fail on an AOA110L and *theoretically* it shouldn't be possible for this procedure to do any more damage .. but there's always the unexpected.

If you decide you want to attempt this, I'll try to assist .. as I said, (besides the different  BIOS file) the procedure is pretty much the same as the one I'm familiar with

BIOS file ((BIOS_Acer_1.29_A_A.zip) will need to be downloaded from the Acer site:
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

AOD250 service manual (crisis recovery disk procedure page):
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/233154/Acer-Aspire-One-Aod250.html?page=158#manual

Creating USB recovery disk in Linux:
http://kegel.com/linux/aspireone-d250.html

Further info .. on my AOA110L the recovery USB stick just needs to be formatted as FAT16 and have the FLASHIT.EXE and the BIOS .fd file on it .. but as FAT16 can only be used on small partitions I use an old 256MB USB stick, these are thin on the ground now so you may need to create a small FAT16 *partition* on a larger USB stick .. the main point here is the firsst partition on the USB stick MUST be FAT16 and not FAT32 .. then it just needs the FLASHIT.EXE and KAV60.fd files in the root of that partition.
Then you do the crisis recovery procedure.

Do you want to proceed ?
As I said, this *theoretically is risk free as it *shouldn't* disturb the BIOS recovery boot block .. but don't blame me if you're the unlucky one in a ,illion and end up with a dead PC.

Your call ?

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline marqu

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 09:03:24 pm »
I am game!   I was ready to turn it into a frisbee anyway.  From reading the instructions on making the USB stick it is written for Linux.  I can also do this on a windows machine, or should I be trying the downloads and making the stick WITHIN the flash drive driven peppermint 5 on my netbook?