Author Topic: Ice for Multimedia  (Read 1229 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Ice for Multimedia
« on: September 14, 2018, 06:59:03 pm »
I love having my cake and eating it too.

One thing that annoys the crap out of me is videos auto playing on websites. I hate it. It's rude, it's intrusive. If I want to watch your video, fine. But, don't force it on me. So, I went into my Firefox settings a while back and disabled auto play media. Easy fix for an issue. But, some streaming media doesn't want to work without that setting being on. ::) YouTube works if I hit "pause" and then "play" again. However, Google Play didn't want to play at all. Amazon Prime music played one song but wouldn't go to the next. I wound up listening to music last night on my Kindle Fire. But, that's not a great solution as it's one tinny speaker as opposed to my nice stereo desktop speakers.

Fortunately, there's Ice. With Firefox, the settings for SSBs are separate from the main browser. So, I can have that set in my main, and create SSBs for watching or listening to media. I've had one for Pandora for a while, but Pandora repeating the same ads last night was what got me to try some of my purchased (and included with Prime) media. So, I just created a SSB for Google Play. In a bit, I'll make one for Amazon Music. I love it. I love this distro. It's funny, because I've been running Peppermint since 2010 and I never found a use for Ice prior to changing that setting in my browser. And, it's all thanks to our main man PCNetSpec, who has added a lot of browser support to Ice. Because, in its original form, it only worked with Chromium, which doesn't separate settings, and I still would have had to install a second browser.

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Respin
Re: Ice for Multimedia
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 12:11:12 pm »
I have also been running peppermint since 2010 & peppermintONE @scifidude79. Like you I had never found a use for ICE either. But since learning that each ICE SSB is an isolated container that prevents websites from tracking me when I go elsewhere, I now have 25 SSBs set up...

Mostly in Firefox, but the ggl specific ones in Chromium...

All thanks to our
most diligent Leige PCNetSpec
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
& '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 03:30:09 pm »
I remember, spence. You were already here when I first installed Peppermint and joined the original forum.  8) When I took a brief hiatus from Peppermint a few years ago, (during Peppermint Five's lifespan, but before Six) I remember re-joining on the new forum and seeing your name and thinking, "cool, spence is still here."  :)

Yeah, it's good to find a use for Ice, isn't it? I always knew it was great software, but I'm not a big web apps kind of person. I think we all tried some back in the old Peppermint Ice days, but that was about all it was for me. I remember thinking "why do I need this, I have bookmarks?" Well, now I know why. :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 04:16:08 pm »
Thanks fellas but I can't take the credit for this, Kendall created ICE and later added the initial Firefox support .. me I've just added Chrome/Vivaldi support and tweaked the Firefox SSB settings.

I have to agree with you both though, I too didn't see much use for it when I first tried Peppermint (PM2), but the FF SSB's have added an extra dimension with their profile separation .. something I too didn't immediately "get" until the possibilities suddenly dawned on me :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 05:46:06 pm »
Oh, for sure. Kendall was awesome at programming.  I forgot he added FF support to Ice for Peppermint Two. Shows how much I paid attention to it. ;)

However, the point was that you keep it going. You took over the distro and Ice. If you hadn't, it's hard to say where it would be now. It may not even exist anymore, which would be sad.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 06:03:34 pm »
FF support started in PM6 which was the first version I did, so its understandable that some people might assume it was down to me .. but it was kind of a parting gift from Kendall (we worked on the theory and ice-firefox profile settings together, but he did the programming work adding it into the ice app).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:18:17 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 06:14:48 pm »
Either way, I thank you both. For Windows, I had to install a separate browser to do the same thing I can do in Peppermint with Ice. I was working on a project last night and listening to The Essential Ozzy Osbourne on Prime using my new Amazon Music SSB. 8) (I'm going to have to buy that album)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 06:19:09 pm »
At the time, the separation of FF SSB profiles wasn't seen by us as a "feature", it HAD TO be done that way because of the way FF worked ..  it was only later I spotted the benefits.

Truth be told, if there had been a way at the time to run multiple FF instances WITHOUT separate profiles we'd have done that (trust me we tried) .. and the benefits would never have dawned.

So really you should be thanking a FF design quirk and serendipity :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:25:54 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 07:00:07 pm »
Well, Firefox has always been my favorite browser, design quirks and all. :D

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 01:15:06 am »
Amen to that .. damn no praying smiley either, this little dude looking up to the heavens will have to suffice ::)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline spence

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 Respin
BUMP Re: Ice for Multimedia
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 07:29:34 pm »
While searching for a different discussion about accessing menus and navigating in ICE, I turned up this little conversation. In which PCNetSpec admits he didn't initially understand ICE's privacy benefits either,.

8)
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
& '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline rayzer

• Trusted User
  • Graphics n Stuff
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 10 Respin
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 04:43:15 am »
been using it for JSPaint and Photopea recently, handy not having the toolbars etc not in the way. i also have Microsoft Office Online setup in case i need to access any work documents from emails
For wallpapers ive made you can download them here