Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 9 changes owner and permissions on exe program files (SOLVED)  (Read 691 times)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
Re: Peppermint 9 changes owner and permissions on exe program files
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 04:10:42 am »
It is MUCH more likely It is the file system on the stick .. if you look at the dmesg output
FAT-fs (sdh1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

The stick has been flagged as having a "dirty" file system because at some stage it was unmounted incorrectly (possibly just pulled out without first being unmounted).

Here's what I'd try...

1) Copy off all the data

2) In Gparted, create a new MSDOS style partition table (this will erase the drive at the same time)

3) Still in Gparted, create a new FAT32 partition.

4) Copy the data back
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Matthew

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8 and 9
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 12:34:34 pm »
I'll give that a try.  I'm always very careful to unmount before unplugging any drive but it's possible.  I just remembered plugging the drive into my phone to email a file a few days ago, that might be the culprit.  I'm guessing that perhaps Peppermint 9 is just "picky" about the file system conditions.

This has been a week for technological problems.  When I got to work a week ago Friday and turned my computer on I found the blue screen of diagnostic death.  The IT guys gave up and re imaged the thing.  I've been struggling all week just to get my special software reinstalled.

I will let you know if the suggestion solves the problem.

Offline Matthew

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 02:16:45 pm »
I did as suggested.  Copied the drive, reformatted the stick and copied the contents back to the drive.  No change.  The owner is still listed as root and the problem remains.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 11:07:51 am »
Try another stick then because when I mount a FAT32 USB stick in Pep9 I "do" get the uid=1000 and gid=1000 options.

If it still does it on another stick, we'll have to try figure out why your system is behaving differently.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Matthew

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 09:20:02 pm »
I formatted another stick as FAT32 and installed the app onto it.  When I try to run it the results are the same errors.  The app runs perfectly when it's installed on a stick formatted as ext4.  Switching to an ext4 stick could be a possibility but I would like to understand what the problem is.

There seems to be some debate, can Windows work with EXT4 file format?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 05:47:55 am »
How large are the contents of this USB stick ?

It would be helpful if I could access the content so I can attempt to reproduce the issue .. is there any chance you could zip up the contents and host them somewhere so I could download them ?

Or does something exclude that, such as the software requires a license or paid account ?

If you'd rather they weren't made public, you could always PM (or email) me the link.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Matthew

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 09:16:35 am »
You can download the program from the web site and install it to a stick without any problem.  David gives a 45 day free trial so there won't be any licensing issues.  I installed it to a second stick for testing purposes while we sort this out. 

http://www.davidrm.com/thejournal/downloadupdate/

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 01:00:54 pm »
Can you explain "Install it to a stick" ?

How did you do this ? .. in Windows ? .. or by running jnl8setup.exe in WINE ?

Was the stick pre-formatted as a single FAT32 partition ?

Is this application the ONLY thing on your USB stick ? .. have you saved any 'journals' (or other stuff) on the stick as well as the application ?

[EDIT]

Oh, and once I install it to the USB stick, how do I start the app in WINE ?

[EDIT2]

Just out of interest, can you format a USB stick with a single FAT32 partition .. then leaving it EMPTY, insert the stick and mount it in the file manager .. then post the output from
Code: [Select]
mount
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 06:51:32 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Matthew

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 02:53:03 am »
I pre-formatted the stick as a single partition MSDOS table, FAT32 format.

To install the program onto the stick right click on it and choose to run it via "WINE Program Loader".  The file has a built in installer.  It will default to a Windows "C" drive location.  Browse to the stick.  When asked about install options uncheck all the boxes except for "I am installing The Journal to a USB or Cloud drive."

The Journal 8 is the only thing on the stick.

To start the program navigate to the stick in a file manager.  Open the folder "The Journal 8".  Inside will be a Journal.exe file, right click and check "Properties", the permissions tab should have a box to be checked that makes the file executable.  Close the "Properties" window.  Right click the Journal.exe file again and choose to open with WINE Program Loader again.  This is the step that fails for me.  The main folder shows the owner as Root and I can open it but not change anything.  The exe won't run at all because it can't run as "read only" which is what is shown in the permissions.  In any other Linux os like Peppermint 7 or 8 the owner is always my user name.  In Peppermint 9 it is root and "read only".

I created an empty stick, single partition, formatted as FAT32.  I mounted it in the file manager and ran the mount command.

matthew@matthew-Desktop-Peppermint-9-NY550AA-ABA-p6240f ~ $ mount
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=4034884k,nr_inodes=1008721,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=813328k,mode=755)
/dev/sda10 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=26,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=13672)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
sunrpc on /run/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=813324k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
pcloud on /tmp/.mount_pcloud20i3NR type fuse.pcloud (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
/dev/fuse on /run/user/1000/doc type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
pCloud.fs on /home/matthew/pCloudDrive type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
/dev/sda6 on /media/matthew/Fedora-home type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/matthew/3TStorage type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sda12 on /media/matthew/Debian8-home type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sda4 on /media/matthew/Debian8-boot type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,stripe=4,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdc1 on /media/matthew/WD Elements 2T type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sda11 on /media/matthew/Debian8-root type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sda2 on /media/matthew/f5355bcf-2148-4e5c-85fd-c1cc380d9ed2 type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sda5 on /media/matthew/1c69bcbb-dbe1-4d06-be92-5c2012e7f80e type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdh1 on /media/matthew/AC22-500E type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,sync,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)
matthew@matthew-Desktop-Peppermint-9-NY550AA-ABA-p6240f ~ $

Interestingly, when I right click in the empty stick and check properties the empty drive owner is "root".  I can not paste a file or image into the empty stick because it is read only.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:59:11 am by Matthew »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 06:51:04 am »
Okay thanks for the info .. I'll test it as soon as I get back tonight.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 03:36:40 pm »
Can you post the output from:
cat /etc/mtab
and
id
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:38:43 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Matthew

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 12:40:44 am »
As requested.

matthew@matthew-Desktop-Peppermint-9-NY550AA-ABA-p6240f ~ $ cat /etc/mtab
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
udev /dev devtmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,size=4034884k,nr_inodes=1008721,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000 0 0
tmpfs /run tmpfs rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=813328k,mode=755 0 0
/dev/sda10 / ext4 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered 0 0
securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
tmpfs /run/lock tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k 0 0
tmpfs /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/unified cgroup2 rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd 0 0
pstore /sys/fs/pstore pstore rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/memory cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/devices cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/pids cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset 0 0
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb cgroup rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb 0 0
systemd-1 /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc autofs rw,relatime,fd=26,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=13672 0 0
mqueue /dev/mqueue mqueue rw,relatime 0 0
hugetlbfs /dev/hugepages hugetlbfs rw,relatime,pagesize=2M 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
sunrpc /run/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw,relatime 0 0
configfs /sys/kernel/config configfs rw,relatime 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /run/user/1000 tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=813324k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
gvfsd-fuse /run/user/1000/gvfs fuse.gvfsd-fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000 0 0
pcloud /tmp/.mount_pcloud20i3NR fuse.pcloud ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000 0 0
/dev/fuse /run/user/1000/doc fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000 0 0
pCloud.fs /home/matthew/pCloudDrive fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000 0 0
/dev/sda6 /media/matthew/Fedora-home ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/matthew/3TStorage ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda12 /media/matthew/Debian8-home ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda4 /media/matthew/Debian8-boot ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,stripe=4,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /media/matthew/WD\040Elements\0402T fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
/dev/sda11 /media/matthew/Debian8-root ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda2 /media/matthew/f5355bcf-2148-4e5c-85fd-c1cc380d9ed2 ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda5 /media/matthew/1c69bcbb-dbe1-4d06-be92-5c2012e7f80e ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
matthew@matthew-Desktop-Peppermint-9-NY550AA-ABA-p6240f ~ $ id
uid=1000(matthew) gid=1000(matthew) groups=1000(matthew),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),116(lpadmin),122(sambashare)

Offline Matthew

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2018, 10:11:13 am »
Any thoughts?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2018, 04:03:10 pm »
Looks like your USB sticks are being mounted as root.

Can you post the output (if any) from
dpkg -l | grep usbmount
[EDIT]

If you get any output from that command, purge usbmount (which is not a default package anyway) with
sudo apt-get remove --purge usbmount
now reboot, and test your USB stick.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:44:27 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Matthew

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
Re: Peppermint 9 changes owner and permissions on exe program files [SOLVED]
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2018, 02:18:33 am »
I did get some output, ran the remove command.  The stick now mounts with me as owner rather than owner as root.  Everything works as it should.

Thank you again!  :)

matthew@matthew-Desktop-Peppermint-9-NY550AA-ABA-p6240f ~ $ sudo apt-get remove --purge usbmount
[sudo] password for matthew:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  lockfile-progs pmount
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  usbmount*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
After this operation, 82.9 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 417221 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing usbmount (0.0.22) ...
(Reading database ... 417213 files and directories currently installed.)
Purging configuration files for usbmount (0.0.22) ...
matthew@matthew-Desktop-Peppermint-9-NY550AA-ABA-p6240f ~ $ dpkg -l | grep usbmount

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:23:35 am by Matthew »