Choose style:

Author Topic: My experiments with wallpapers  (Read 2880 times)

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
My experiments with wallpapers
« on: September 12, 2018, 05:16:05 pm »
I have done some experiments with two well known fullcolor wallpapers to drive them into something more pepp-ish, just for learning purposes.
i'm unsure if they are of some use for you out there, the easiest way is simply to show them here and let you decide, maybe someone will like and use them...

each type in three different shades (of pepp) ;)

links removed

with friendly greetings
CRLinux
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:23:41 am by CRLinux »
open source + SJWs + Politics + DoubleStandards = No future! and very hateful present! :O + open source becomes open sauce (too many cooks you know)

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: My experiments with wallpapers
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 06:55:54 pm »
Those are really cool :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:46:11 am »
Love the Hexagon ones - added to my collection

Nice work - Thank You

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 06:31:59 am »
Beautiful, CRLinux.

Gotta ask...

Those graphics are the same 1:8 resolution that I run, on my 3-monitor over/under tree setup - 29" display on top, 2 x 23" displays on the bottom  :-\

When I surf the web looking for walls, that particular size is pretty few and far between.

What kind of display setup do you have?

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 06:45:56 am »
Interesting.

I just checked, and that's the same oddball resolution that UHD TVs use - which technically speaking are not 4K TVs.

Checking Google trends we're definitely in the minority  ;D

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 03:30:07 pm »
Thanks to you all, thats very kind  :)

@ VinDSL

I have one single Monitor 28" AOC U2879VF with native 3840x2160, even it is a cheap model of that class i'm really impressed from its resolution and visuals, in retrospect it was a very good replacement for my old and very powerhungry 21" EIZO F980 CRT.

I must mention here that this old CRT has one effort which my new AOC display cant beat ... realtime drawing ... i mean in 2D, i'm experiencing actually input latencies while painting / drawing, which didnt exist if i'm using the F980 ... maybe its the 4K (which the F980 definitely cant and will not handle, i was managing to get to work 3200x2400 at the F980 at ergonomic refreshrates, and painting and editing 3d objects in blender was very nice and smooth with crisp display...) on the AOC i have the latencies in 2d and "hardware" motion-blur in blender while moving /rotating wireframe-meshes (3d-objects in edit mode). I have an eye on that .. two eyes to be honest ;)

but my best guess its somehow vsync and ram dac related, maybe some hardware geek can tell us more about that?  ???

to be honest (sry english is not my native language) i'm i bit confused about your question... my pics are made in native 4K (UHD-1 in the pic above), the pic-hoster shows them in a smaller downsampled resolution, and mentions to click on the pic to view and download it in full resolution... and i made three different shades for experimental reasons, to check how they work / look under several peppermint themes / colorschemes... and i have showed them in those three variants because several users / humans have a different taste and feeling which one is more comfortable and ergonomic for them, maybe your question comes from there.

anyway your question bears a deeper sense in it, for those enthusiasts like you, who like to have several monitors, there are indeed very few wallpaper solutions which span allover your whole setup, i guess it would be great for you to have a wallpaper pack for your display setup?

Just as a hint, Voyager 18.04 LTS (yes the distro) has a big wallpaperpack (one of the efforts of the Voyager distro) which holds also some grey-ish wallpaper for 4 workspaces (numbered). I mention that with the workflow and ergonomy in your setup in mind, you have build it with sense and reasons, so the wallpaper(s) should follow this too, so that it makes sense, right?

Its all ok, thank you for your questions,
i'm just asking curiously.

Greetings.
CRLinux

PS: I'm driven to ask you a favour, would you like to do a test to this wallpaper topic, i mean if like and can provide me with a photo of your monitor setup (the hardware) and / or a screenshot of your monitor-setup-preferences in linux so that i can see how your monitors are order and configured in size and proportion in linux / on the pepp, would be interesting and challenging to create a wallpaper pack especially for your setup, and in return to find out how it will work for your setup while on those three screens...

just to explain my intentions... Gerald Hüther says (hopefully i translate that correct to english) each one of us is naturally born as high talented... after school and university only 2% are left (a critic at the school system which is intented to frustrate each child so they dont like to learn anymore)... in that context i have discovered that computers and especially with linux and opensource can revive our natural curiosity and fun to learn (by firing up all the gizmos up there in our heads)  ;D ... thats something common that we linux users share all over the planet ;) and my question is actually how would it be ... for you to have a very own special solution for your monitor setup in terms of wallpaper / desktop look and ergonomic...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:38:24 pm by CRLinux »
open source + SJWs + Politics + DoubleStandards = No future! and very hateful present! :O + open source becomes open sauce (too many cooks you know)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 04:27:03 pm »

just to explain my intentions... Gerald Hüther says (hopefully i translate that correct to english) each one of us is naturally born as high talented... after school and university only 2% are left (a critic at the school system which is intented to frustrate each child so they dont like to learn anymore)...

I couldn't agree more. Who is Gerald Hüther?

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 04:51:06 pm »
@ murraymint

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_H%C3%BCther

a german neurobiologist and book author - a while back interviewed by KenFM - a very very enlightening talk

sorry i cant find an english version of that video

he (Hüther) is part of the project "Schulen im Aufbruch" free translated "schools at awakening"
and please whatever you have heard about kenfm through massmedia in your country, leave that behind (in this case)
he (Ken) is interviewing very interesting people in a very interesting way...
i mention that in times of "fake news"... and "conspiracy theories" ...
In other words, each human should speak freely these days and should get heard ...
this is what linux and its community is teaching us ...
and G.Hüther should to be heard...

just to answer your question and explaining the background a bit, hopefully this thread will survive while diving into this side way,
just to wrap the things up... we ... humans can only be creative as a whole individual, with heart and brain, and in conjunction with other people
i think it is better to explain my intentions, my thinking about linux and so on... so that you can better understand my question / offer
so hopefully my short voyage into the offtopic will be accepted / tolerated
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:34:33 pm by CRLinux »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 06:19:33 pm »
Thanks CRLinux, I'll have a look at that when I get a chance. Don't worry, we're fairly tolerant of a thread like this meandering somewhat  :)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 09:55:30 pm »
I'm driven to ask you a favour, would you like to do a test to this wallpaper topic, i mean if like and can provide me with a photo of your monitor setup (the hardware) and / or a screenshot of your monitor-setup-preferences in linux so that i can see how your monitors are order and configured in size and proportion in linux / on the pepp, would be interesting and challenging to create a wallpaper pack especially for your setup, and in return to find out how it will work for your setup while on those three screens...

My pleasure  :)

Here's the wall I've been using for awhile...

And, here are a couple of your walls...

To put it into perspective - 1x29" on top (divided into 2x19" Opera brower screens) - 2x23" on bottom (Thunderbird on left & Guayadeque on right)...

Is that clear as mud? LoL  ;D

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 10:12:08 pm »
BTW, you mentioned hardware...

Here's the tree that I use:  https://goo.gl/6ZxvKo

The top display is a Dell U2913WM 29" Ultra Wide:   https://goo.gl/de6nd1

The bottom displays are AOC 2343 23" - bought them for a LAN party and the bastards refuse to die: https://goo.gl/2CiCJC

Top display is HDMI - Bottom displays are DVI & VGA, respectively.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:47:06 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 10:55:58 pm »
to be honest (sry english is not my native language) i'm i bit confused about your question... my pics are made in native 4K (UHD-1 in the pic above), the pic-hoster shows them in a smaller downsampled resolution, and mentions to click on the pic to view and download it in full resolution..

Didn't mean to sound pedantic, but...

Technically, "4K" means a horizontal resolution of 4,096 pixels.

It's not a matter of opinion. This is the resolution set forth by the Digital Cinema Initiatives.

I'll stop now  :D

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 12:07:59 am »
Okay, One last post  ;D

I found a perfect use for one of your walls - Opera Speed Dial background, e.g. 'Mini Wall'

Matches my desktop wall perfectly.

Thanks, CRLinux

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 02:24:46 am »

Technically, "4K" means a horizontal resolution of 4,096 pixels.

It's not a matter of opinion. This is the resolution set forth by the Digital Cinema Initiatives.

WOW writing to Acer for a refund as they sold me 4K monitors that arn't - shocking  :-[
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 03:00:54 am »
@ VinDSL

first a big thank you to you for all the infos

at second two questions:

have you shared your experiences with this setup / desktop usage with the community before? If not you should do that, i see already many tips you can give others with your experiences
in some sort of tutorial  :)

you had given the display on the right the mainscreen with appmenu, workspace-overview and conkys systeminformation, i find this very interesting while ppl are discussing the "kaotic" ordering of the main bars, appmenu and mainfunctions in i.e. Dolphin also on the right side of the screen in KaOS (as a nogo), which i see in my experience as the right place if i'm using my right hand as the main hand, i would place my tools and utilities also on the right side, even my mouse, usb-drives, penmouse and mousepen are on the right side of my desk... it seems naturally to me, so also the KaOS desktop feels more naturally to me, a surprising experience to me, an eye opener, thats why i keep a small installation of KaOS on my PC- the mousemovements are reduced in those programs which are build in that "new" "kaotic" way but got even more if the window-menus are placed on the left upper side of the screen / window.

Why is this so important to me, i'm on my way with computers since Amiga-times, the early 90's in between i was league-player (semiprofessional and only for a short time) in MyUCL and ClanBase, over all those years i've been using standard mices and keyboards, seven years ago from now, i got RSI (Repetitive-Strain-Injury) on both hands and arms, which gets even worse (for reasons which i don't understand and can't explain) into rheumatoid arthritis - so by all means if the new "kaotic" ordering of the things in KaOS 2018.08, can help to prevent other users to experience this hell of RSI and rheumatoid arthritis, then HELL YES! keep it that new way, meanwhile i can recommend the usage of mousepens / tablets and/or penmouses ... i.e.

they work easily with Linux

... talking a break here for breakfast (which also means taking my daily pills)... i will edit further later.

against my promise i will left this entry as it is and will answer further an a new one.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:59:15 am by CRLinux »