Choose style:

Author Topic: My experiments with wallpapers  (Read 828 times)

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 x64
Re: My experiments with wallpapers
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 03:06:46 am »
Beautiful, CRLinux.

Gotta ask...

Those graphics are the same 1:8 resolution that I run, on my 3-monitor over/under tree setup - 29" display on top, 2 x 23" displays on the bottom  :-\

When I surf the web looking for walls, that particular size is pretty few and far between.

What kind of display setup do you have?

Hi VinDSL

I find this site very good for certain types of wallpapers and it seems to auto know your screen res  https://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/any/

Give it a try

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P9 x64 Desktop - i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1070ti 8Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 3440 x 1440
x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 04:28:58 am »

Didn't mean to sound pedantic, but...

Technically, "4K" means a horizontal resolution of 4,096 pixels.

It's not a matter of opinion. This is the resolution set forth by the Digital Cinema Initiatives.

i understand you and agree, myself while i'm editing textures for my main project i have not the luxury to create double-standards of 4K, my textures have to be 4096x4096 or 4096x8192! and not 3840x xyz, Its a question and matter of pixel dimension, picture scaling, preventing the moiré effect (which happens very often in my project, because of the special direction of my project) it is a technical "must", but please understand that i cant throw my new AOC out of the window into the trash / garbage, because it doesnt fullfill the one real(?) 4K standard :D I'm too glad to have him in its 4K-imperfection for my daily computer activities

and through nvidias DSR i have much greater screenresolutions on the backhand (for now only under win7x64), which was and will be also very helpful with my project.

to my tutorial advice, i mean that serious (we need a special thread for that matter), i assume that the movement of your head is different to us who are using only one monitor, would be interesting to hear your experiences how your neck and back feels after a long day of work on this desktop setup, and maybe you have tips for this those ones who plan to setup such a three monitor setup.

so for now thanks again, for all of your kindly given informations, i have downloaded the pics, to work further...

@ zebedeeboss

thanks for URL, this case of website is very rare in respecting more monitor setups, the web should have more of them these days, right?
open source + SJWs + Politics + DoubleStandards = No future! and very hateful present! :O + open source becomes open sauce (too many cooks you know)

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Peppermint - Void - NetBSD
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 04:38:22 am »
Why is this so important to me, i'm on my way with computers since Amiga-times, the early 90's in between i was league-player (semiprofessional and only for a short time) in MyUCL and ClanBase, over all those years i've been using standard mices and keyboards, seven years ago from now, i got RSI (Repetitive-Strain-Injury) on both hands and arms, which gets even worse (for reasons which i don't understand and can't explain) into rheumatoid arthritis - so by all means if the new "kaotic" ordering of the things in KaOS 2018.08, can help to prevent other users to experience this hell of RSI and rheumatoid arthritis, then HELL YES! keep it that new way, meanwhile i can recommend the usage of mousepens / tablets and/or penmouses ... i.e.

First of all, sorry for hijacking this post. Also, I know I've been called "not normal" at times, but...
Have you even considered the possibility of using a tiling window manager?

I use awesome wm on a daily basis and use key combinations to do all kinds of stuff, ...don't even own a mouse anymore  ;)

This is from my NetBSD system, since it's the one that I'm using at the moment, but that doesn't really matter...

Use Mod4 + w and you get the menu wherever you are at the moment,

Use Mod4 + Enter to open the terminal and Mod4 + w then arrows and Enter to open your file manager,

Use Mod4 + s to display on screen all key combinations, in case you forgot any,

... Mod4 + c to close down the active window, Mod 4 + <number> to shift through the different work spaces, ... I could go on, but I think you get the point. No mouse needed ever again  ;)

Obviously, you can install awesome on Peppermint and give it a try.

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 05:27:11 am »
Obviously, you can install awesome on Peppermint and give it a try.

thats good to hear, thank you, i've tested i3 on another distro, it was very fast so i guess awesome must run very speedy on pepp?... but the problem isnt the windowmanager ... in my case, my working routine is the true problem here, which needs a more conservative approach to the gui, i prefer the mouse over the keyboard, especially the usage of the keyboard is hurting more then the usage of my vertical mouse (a DIY merge / "smash together" between a chassis of a very low price chinese vertikal mouse and the content/chipset of a Fire Glider mouse, it was coincidentally matching into the chassis of the vertical mouse, in terms of mouse+mouse = healing ;) ) and the pens,

my best guess aside of that is, my hands and arms are needing more movement in terms of radius / length and not less i.e. with using only the keyboard, any way thanks for the hint, maybe some people outthere find your solution more pleasing / more matching to their workflow even in ergonomics

the usage of the keyboard has the same issues with the torsion in the arm

about your "not normal", we humans are born as very unique in body (thats genetic) and in personality (thats epigenetic), we are not birthly normed at all, so how can we ever be normal / matching a norm / matching which norm? and who defines those norms? - the stupid tin foil hats of elites, they have way too many problems with themself / theirself :D So please feel free to be who you are, linux teaches us this too every day. We can have many things in common, but thats not a norm nor normal, its human!

I was watching "Destination Linux" with Ryan, Michael and Zeb yesterday and Big Daddy Linux Live! days ago, i like to watch them, because there are so many different characters with different tastes and ages, they share a passion (?) / have this linux thing in common, but i would be a true fool to name them normal! I like the diversity of and in those shows, the different thoughts of the members and the insights they share, and its good/best as it is, so we - the watchers - can learn from them and build our own opinion based on their knowledge, guidance and experience, and get inspired to test the things ourself. Maybe open source stands also for open minded, at least i hope so.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 06:15:13 am by CRLinux »
open source + SJWs + Politics + DoubleStandards = No future! and very hateful present! :O + open source becomes open sauce (too many cooks you know)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 07:24:31 am »
@ VinDSL

first a big thank you to you for all the infos

at second two questions:

have you shared your experiences with this setup / desktop usage with the community before? If not you should do that, i see already many tips you can give others with your experiences
in some sort of tutorial  :)

you had given the display on the right the mainscreen with appmenu, workspace-overview and conkys systeminformation, i find this very interesting while ppl are discussing the "kaotic" ordering of the main bars, appmenu and mainfunctions in i.e. Dolphin also on the right side of the screen in KaOS (as a nogo), which i see in my experience as the right place if i'm using my right hand as the main hand, i would place my tools and utilities also on the right side, even my mouse, usb-drives, penmouse and mousepen are on the right side of my desk... it seems naturally to me, so also the KaOS desktop feels more naturally to me, a surprising experience to me, an eye opener, thats why i keep a small installation of KaOS on my PC- the mousemovements are reduced in those programs which are build in that "new" "kaotic" way but got even more if the window-menus are placed on the left upper side of the screen / window.

Why is this so important to me, i'm on my way with computers since Amiga-times, the early 90's in between i was league-player (semiprofessional and only for a short time) in MyUCL and ClanBase, over all those years i've been using standard mices and keyboards, seven years ago from now, i got RSI (Repetitive-Strain-Injury) on both hands and arms, which gets even worse (for reasons which i don't understand and can't explain) into rheumatoid arthritis - so by all means if the new "kaotic" ordering of the things in KaOS 2018.08, can help to prevent other users to experience this hell of RSI and rheumatoid arthritis, then HELL YES! keep it that new way, meanwhile i can recommend the usage of mousepens / tablets and/or penmouses ... i.e.

they work easily with Linux

... talking a break here for breakfast (which also means taking my daily pills)... i will edit further later.

against my promise i will left this entry as it is and will answer further an a new one.

You have a keen mind and discerning eye, CRLinux  ;D

I'm short on time, so I'll try to keep this brief...

My Conky script is used on all 7 continents, and has been documented ad nauseam on the web. It's a bit of a pox, actually, and I don't discuss it here, as users would quickly flood the site with questions and wrestle away control.

And, yes, there's a method to my madness, regarding the layout and configuration of my monitors, but nobody but you has ever noticed, nor asked about it.

In short, the things I'm involved with, both personally and professionally, require multiple desktop machines, a laptop, and two operating systems - Linux and winders.

The desktops boxes that I use the most often (and the display tree) are tied together via a KVM switch.  Thus, only requiring one keyboard and mouse.

I use the same layout in Peppermint and '10', however, only one of my boxes is capable of driving three diplays, so I always use the bottom-right VGA monitor as the 'master cylinder', if you will. That way, I can work two desktop machines at the same time - with three monitors - and a single keyboard and mouse.

It gets a little technical, at this point, so we'd better leave that as fodder for a different discussion. LoL  :D

Gotta run. BBL

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 07:40:38 am »

the usage of the keyboard has the same issues with the torsion in the arm

It does. I'm a transcriber so I type a lot and I mouse a lot just in normal computer usage. I used to get severe wrist pains/probably the start of carpal tunnel syndrome but I've got one of these (a memory foam Kensington wrist rest) which solved the problem completely for me. I'm using a tenkeyless keyboard so the right-hand bit of it does my mouse wrist as well.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:42:20 am by murraymint »

Offline untrusted user

• nOOb
  • open sauce user
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 11:40:21 pm »

I'm short on time, so I'll try to keep this brief...

So am I, sorry for the late response then,

here is a concept graphic - just for testing purposal,
two images/versions, one with a thin grid(in the name too) for your 3 monitors, to adjust, or to cut seperate images out if needed
please take the pics as unfinished, they are very large, so i give the project (much larger then the single pics) a hold, just to test even the size of that "thing"...
4K btw.

please test it, some feedback - technical and in terms of taste - would be very kind...

and do not hurry, i have a lot of issues in RL these days, so spare time for that...

Greetings  :)

CRLinux.