Choose style:

Author Topic: "If You Want To Learn Linux Install, Slackware."  (Read 8569 times)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
"If You Want To Learn Linux Install, Slackware."
« on: July 29, 2014, 06:11:32 pm »
I've heard this said from a source unknown, "If you want to learn Debian, install Debian. If you want to learn Fedora, install Fedora. If you want to learn Linux, install Slackware.”

I'm wondering is there really is some bottom-line distribution to use -- that when you learn it, you actually comprehend Linux, some distribution with which everything begins to click?

I've read also that these are the great learning distributions:  Arch, Debian, and Gentoo.

Personally, I feel greatly rewarded from what I've learned here at Peppermint -- thanks to lots and lots of time, patience, and help from the members of this forum.  But, still I see commands I've never used, and I often read about issues within this forum of which I've never considered.

My thought has been this, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Peppermint OS as much Linux as any other distribution?  Still sometimes I think I should start with a black command line screen, start with nearly nothing but a LUI, and then try to build a workable distribution almost from scratch.  If so, is Slackware the most basic distribution to learn?  Is it now the oldest distribution in the world of Linux, and therefore the most foundational Linux OS to learn?  Or is Core Linux really the most basic Linux OS these days?

Thank you, 

perknh

:-\
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:40:34 pm by perknh »
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
Re: "If You Want To Learn Linux Install, Slackware."
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:18:30 pm »
No doubt written by a Slackware fan .. they can tend to be a vocal bunch ;)
(I tend to find there are 2 types of Slackware user .. the extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful,type that feel no need to say things like that, and the vocal "look at me I managed to get Slackware running so now I'm gonna make sure the whole world knows about it" type)

Sure there are 2 ways to learn building a car.....

a) start with a bag of bits and a book, and figure it out as you go.

or

b) start with a car and take it apart, and put it back together, learning as you go

if you like the idea of (a) .. why not go crazy and even machine your own parts (think Gentoo or LFS) :)

Sometimes it's as much about bragging rights as anything else .. but just because you built your linux from a bag of bits and a book doesn't necessarily mean you learned anything along the way, it could just mean you're good at following instructions.

Linux is Linux .. learn with whichever distro and whichever method suits YOU, and don't listen to everything Slackware fans (or any other fans) say, no matter how often and loudly. ;)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:25:46 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:14:50 pm »
Peppermint is Linux, it's based / built upon Debian, meaning you are running a tweaked version of Debian.

Learning how to do things in Debian, would not be a bad thing either.

I am trying to learn how to do things via the command line, that way I am learning how Debian works - without having the reinstall anything :)

hth
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 05:06:55 pm »
Hello 10i,.

I like Debian too, and I feel very much at home with Debian.  I've played with Sparky Linux a little, and MX14, which is pretty cool too.  I've even tried playing with Crunchbang some, but I always come home here after having learned something during my wanderings.  :)

I don't know many commands either.  I know how to update, upgrade, dist-upgrade, remove, purge, and create a default firewall, but that's really about it.  After that I just copy and paste whatever commands I need.

openSUSE looks pretty cool, and I've heard that Linus Torvalds uses Fedora Xfce, so I thought I should look at that one day too, but that's about all I've done.  Oh, a little Majaro, but not much, and I've looked at all the Ubuntus except Kubuntu.

I believe that what PCNetSpec said above is worth reading several times.  It's all Linux: what we need to do is find, and use, what works best for us.  ;)

But, both you and PCNetSpec got me thinking.  I would like to learn more commands too.  But the funny thing is, I still haven't found a more user-friendly  distribution than Peppermint OS.  And, for me, the forum is every bit as important as the OS itself.  And I've yet to find a nicer forum, with a more knowledgeable, or with a more considerate group of people,  than Peppermint forum.  An OS without a good forum just doesn't cut it for me.

My wife and I both have Peppermint on our laptops, and both of us are using Firefox as our default browser.  Peppermint 5 is working for us like a charm.  But I do have this urge to learn more about Linux.  Your idea of learning Debian commands are as good a place to begin as anywhere, I suspect.

Linux sure is interesting in and of itself.

Thank you, 10i!

perknh

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:52:07 pm by perknh »

Offline 10i

• Trusted User
  • Peppermint Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • My Peppermint Blog
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10 - 64 bit
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 02:48:37 pm »
It's a pleasure. I recently tried a different distro again, one day later I reinstalled Peppermint 5. It is a great forum and a great distro.

Check places like www.linux.com/learn and training.linuxfoundation.com/free-linux-training

I like reading fullcirclemagazine.org
Running Peppermint 8- 64 bit on my Lenovo i3 laptop.

View my Linux blog:  http://myiceadventure.blogspot.com

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 04:16:24 pm »
Thank you, 10i.  I've bookmarked the link you gave me.  And I'll bookmark the other link too.  I had never heard of either before.

I'm, too, have decided to study Debian.  I downloaded Slackware, but it was too big of a distribution for my tastes.  Fortunately I had an error message installing it, so I never lost Peppermint for a moment.  The moment I saw all the programs it was installing, I said to myself, "This is not for me."

I'm going to study Crunchbang 11 Bootcamp 2013, on YouTube, by PuppyLinuxWorld.  And I'm sure there are even other series on Crunchbang, perhaps even by the same man that are just as good, and worthy of exploration.  Crunchbang is Debian-based, so either one of us ought to be enough in our comfort zone when learning about it.  And I don't see how learning about Debian will do us anything other than good when we are running our Peppermint OS.  I'm going to put Crunchbang on my external hard drive, and keep Peppermint right here on my internal hard drive where it belongs.

Here's the link to Crunchbang Bootcamp.  It looks pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arzICLgqiUs

And thank you for the educational and training links to Linux.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 02:40:14 pm »
Thank you, PCNetSpec.  I've bookmarked your suggestions too.

Although I'm going through Crunchbang Boot camp, I've had my fair share of difficulty with Crunchbang itself.

Crunchbang is based on Debian's stable platform called Wheezy , and I want to use Debian's testing platform called Jessie.  Well, after upgrading to Jessie, my username and password no longer work within Crunchbang.  So I don't know how far I'll get with all of this.  (And since this a Peppermint forum, I'm not requesting help here.  I'm just reporting in!)  My problem with Crunchbang, or Debian in general, is that I always like to use an updated browser.  Having an updated browser is something I consider important, and IceWeasel, in the stable version of Crunchbang, is seven versions behind our Firefox browser in the Ubuntu-based distributions.  Seven versions behind!  Well, I don't like that very much.  And, besides, version 31 works a whole lot better than version 24.  So, that's where I am at at this point with my explorations within the world of Debian.  But the YouTube video series Crunchbang Boot Camp has some good insights and tips worth learning.  The videos are short and helpful.  And much of the information found within the Crunchbang videos is transferable to here.  Debian and Ubuntu-based distributions are closely related; so that's why much information gleaned from Crunchbang Bootcamp can be applied back here in Peppermint.

Offline rjm65

• Veteran
  • I have Peppermint Fresh Breath. :P
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Win-98 /Win-7/ Peppermint 9
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 03:05:52 pm »
Why would someone name a distro Crunchbang , every time I hear that name I want to go eat a bowl of cereal, it reminds me of snap crackle and pop....  LOL   :D
Robert
Peppermint 9 User

Gateway Solo 9300 Pro
IBM T40

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 05:38:06 pm »
Hi perknh how's it going?  I was using Crunchbang 11 "Wheezy" before Peppermint.  It is really fantastic.  Technically, it is Debian made "sexy".   It is the Porche of the Debian world.  It is one of the best distos to learn about what's, "under the hood".  You will get your hands dirty and its fun  :).  Have you considered dual booting Crunchbang with Peppermint?  In addition, you'll find the Crunchbang community extremely friendly and helpful; very reminiscent of our awesome Peppermint gang  8)!  Debian is just another way of saying, "Ultra Stable".  Than is why many of the packages may seem old.  For the Debian bunch, it just means they are ready to use.  If you want more up to date packages, you can always backport to the, "Sid", (unstable) repositories.  This kind of like using a ppa Debian style.  Crunchbang helped me understand a huge amount about Linux in general.  I will use Crunchbang again when I find another laptop that needs resurrecting.  Good luck and have fun  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 06:43:11 pm »
Hello rjm65, it makes us here in the U.S. think of Captain Crunch, doesn't it!  ;D

Since I had problems with the Jessie version of Crunchbang, I went and installed Sparky Linux LXDE to my external hard drive.  Sparky Linux is based on Jessie, or Debian's testing distribution.  Sparky Linux LXDE is very nice -- similar to Peppermint in many ways -- but with more programs than most of us here would want or need.  And I'm still watching the Crunchbang Bootcamp videos.

I'd say Sparky Linux would be good for older computers that don't handle Chrome, or Chromium browsers, very well.  From what I can see, the trick with Sparky Linux is first to turn off the screensaver, then update, then dist-update, then turn on the screensaver again if you want it.  I removed the Kbar which is like Docky, and I removed apt-xapian-index and python-xapian as well.  It's a nice OS out of Poland, and it has a lock screen feature near the logout button which could be handy for some people who need a computer with a fast default privacy feature.

perknh

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 07:13:30 pm »
Hello, AndyInMokum!

I got your message while writing to rjm65.  Yes, I am dual booting with my external hard drive.  I have Peppermint 5 on my internal hard drive, and I can put whatever Linux OS I want on my external hard drive.  When I boot up, I am given an option to use either OS -- which is a pretty nice way to have things.

No, I did not know about the "Sid" or the unstable repositories.  But I do have a soft spot for in my heart for Crunchbang.  Why?  Well, one night I tried putting Crunchbang onto a flash drive, but I placed Crunchbang's bootloader (GRUB) on my internal hard drive by mistake.  Well, I'm sure you know what happened.  I ended up with Crunchbang on my internal hard drive instead of Windows.  Since I didn't have an inkling at the time with what I was doing, I really thought I had destroyed my computer.  I even confessed to my wife I had totally destroyed our computer!  Well, six hours later, and at 4:00 in the morning, I had (and I don't know how I did it) Manjaro Xfce on the computer.  Now my wife needs the computer in the morning, but since I had configured Manjaro to the point where it looked almost identical to our desktop configuration for Windows, and since she moves so quickly in the morning, she hadn't noticed that she wasn't using Windows.

I said to myself, "Yes!"  And, you better believe I considered that experience to have been a major score!  :)

AndyInMokum, that mistake with Crunchbang was the best mistake I had ever made with a computer in my life.  And, over time, and because of that one mistake, we are now a Linux-only household.  And, yes, I have Crunchbang (the Porsche of the Debian world) to thank for that wonderful, life-changing mistake I made not all that long ago. 

AndyInMokum, all I want with Crunchbang is an updated IceWeasel, or Firefox, browser. I'd be fine with Crunchbang in Wheezy, but when I dist-upgraded to Jessie, I lost my ability to sign in.  I became essentially locked out of Crunchbang .  I even tried going outside the repository to install Firefox, but I couldn't figure out how to do so.  I could download it, but I couldn't install it.  And I don't what to use Chromium if I can avoid it.

I will now learn about Crunchbang's unstable repositories.  They sound like my cup of tea.

Thank you for that very helpful insight.

perknh

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:29:57 pm by perknh »

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 07:51:05 pm »
Hi perknh, I've also played around with Manjaro.  It was the OpenBox spin of it.  One word - "Slick".  The guys at Manjaro have done an awesome job.  They really have put some "spit and polish" into this distro.  I think the way they delay pacman updates for extra testing is brilliant.  It is great how you can choose from, stable, testing and unstable repositories so easily too.  It really is, "Arch for the masses" and very cool it is too  8)!

I had Manjaro dual booting with both my Peppermint and Crunchbang installations.  I biggest issue I had was, if I didn't use it really frequently, I would get way behind with updates.  Things rapidly went pear shaped because of this.  I would really like a separate laptop to run Manjaro full time.  That way, I could apply updates in a more timely manner and minimize things going wrong.  ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 01:03:58 am »
Hello AndyInMokum.

Now if you were trying to learn more about Linux, which of the the two distributions would you study first -- Crunchbang or Manjaro*? 

*In good conscience I have to mention a lesser known but excellent distribution called Bridge Linux, which is based on Arch, and operates on the theory that it is a bridge to learning Arch.  Bridge also has the benefit of not having to struggle with internal political problems like Manjaro is dealing with these days.  And at Bridge Linux they have Ninja-1, who I believe is either the, or a, lead developer for Bridge Linux.  And there's another fellow called sqlpython who is very knowledgeable and helpful too.  Bridge Linux has a very friendly forum, and you are encouraged to use the Arch Wiki with Bridge Linux.

Now, if you wanted to learn more about Linux, would you go in the direction of Debian (Crunchbang), or in the direction of Arch (Manjaro or Bridge)?

Good question, isn't it?  But, the best part about this question is that you can't give a wrong answer!  ;)

AndyInMokum, I'm doing this for my brain -- for some learning, and for some fun.

P.S.

I notice that when the Linux Foundation has a class, it suggests using a distribution from either Fedora, SUSE, or Debian/Ubuntu.  When I consider this, I think my best bet for learning more about Linux, since Peppermint is my home distro with a Debian/Ubuntu base, is to just keep plugging away at Crunchbang.

P.P.S.

I joined Crunchbang forum, and introduced myself, telling how I had put Crunchbang on my hard drive by mistake.  I also discovered I wasn't the only one who wanted an updated IceWeasel.  I'm keeping Wheezy, but I've already updated IceWeasel to version 31.  I don't really care what versions the other programs are.  I just wanted my browser up to date.

So thanks for the insights.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:38:26 pm by perknh »

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 07:30:27 pm »
Since Crunchbang is now gone, and since many of us are still continuing to learn something about Linux in one way or another.  I consider this article an interesting read.  This article echos a lot of what PCNetSpec has told us in the past.

This piece was written by Danny Stieben for makeuseof.

Code: [Select]
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/want-to-learn-linux-these-four-distros-will-take-you-from-beginner-to-pro/
or

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/want-to-learn-linux-these-four-distros-will-take-you-from-beginner-to-pro/