Choose style:

Author Topic: Slow Performance Nemo File Manager  (Read 536 times)

Offline Linux Lover

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 (x64)
Slow Performance Nemo File Manager
« on: September 07, 2018, 02:14:39 pm »
I'm having freezing/lagging quite frequently & am unable to fix the problem.  It happens most noticeably when using nemo to rename images or transfer between folders.  Takes about 15 sec (a guess) to transfer images or being able to rename them.  It doesn't seem to matter which kernel I use.  I don't remember having this much lag when I used PM 7.  My specs are listed below in case it matters.  Do you think it may be related to IOMMU?  I have had issues getting the onboard USB 3.0 and now ESATA to get recognized irregardless if I enable or disable IOMMU in the UEFI.  These problems don't occur in Win 7 afaict, so it has to be something within the OS, and I may try another distro to see if it fixes the problem, but I really like Peppermint after years of distro-hopping and want to avoid that at all costs if possible.  Might updating Nemo help?  If you need further info, please let me know.   Thanks.

PM 9 x64 ; latest stable kernels as of today (4.18.5 / 4.18.6) via Ukuu kernel update utility
R9 270 with Padoka stable PPA (for gaming purposes)
990FXA-UD3 MOTHERBOARD
FX-6300
8GB DDR3 1866
240GB SSD
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:16:43 pm by Linux Lover »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
Re: Slow Performance Nemo File Manager
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 02:20:23 pm »
Are these local folders or shared on a network?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 02:31:20 pm »
just as an experiment, what happens if you install pcmanfm
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install pcmanfm
then try using that to transfer the files ?

Menu > Accessories > File Manager PCManFM

at least this should tell you if the problem is nemo, or something else.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Linux Lover

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 (x64)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 04:24:34 pm »
I know I'm late in responding to this so apologies, trying to catch up to perhaps help anyone in the future reading this. 

The files are local & not on a network.  Thank you murraymint for your response/help. 

I installed pcmanfm (which I like better than nemo for the most part so far) and the lagginess seemed to go away so I think the problem is the version of nemo I have.  I didn't want to update it since I thought the version you use here in PM is so intertwined, it seemed best to leave alone.  I look forward to trying the newer nemo out once I install PM 10 shortly. 

The issues I had that I think were caused by IOMMU in regards to USB 3 & ESATA probably had more to do with my model motherboard than anything else.  I don't use the built-in ESATA any longer b/c I can't properly verify Macrium Reflect Backups with it.  It's probably cheap chips implemented into the mobo by Gigabyte.  I don't know if newer boards are more reliable but my older X38 Gigabyte board definitely was.  I do know Gigabyte has been known for lousy BIOS implementation (Gamers Nexus made a video on this not too long ago) and many times have no more than 1 or 2 BIOS/UEFI updates after releasing their boards.  I think I will look for a brand that is more geared to server/enterprise reliability next time I purchase one.  The USB 3 issue is a bit more lengthy and I found a quirk to get around them so I'll spare anyone reading that unless someone wants me to expound further. 

Thanks again to all.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 07:55:33 pm »
Never hurts to post solutions you find to problems you encounter (even if hardware specific) .. you never know if/when some future searcher might find them handy :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 10:07:51 am »
This problem could be more than you are thinking, I am also noticing a big drag in P 9 on my desktop, which is newer(new computer for me). This happens after mounting a usb memory or external hard drive, also in a usb 3 slot. I'll have to boot into P10 to see if it's better there or the same.
What was I thinking?