Author Topic: OMG! Office 365 has totally invaded my online work life  (Read 2574 times)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: OMG! Office 365 has totally invaded my online work life
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 08:06:22 am »
Softening people up...

Asked if people would pay monthly for Windows 10, everyone says "NO, that's insane and will kill Windows"

Asked if companies should pay a monthly fee for extended support, people say "well sure that makes sense"

Come 2020 some Win7 home users will ask "hey why can't we keep 7 by paying for extended support ?" .. and Microsoft will use that call as the 'reasoning' behind the Win10 subscription fee .. "hey we're doing you a favour by doing this".

Then will come the Win10 subscription sweeteners (and/or 'punishments' for not switching to subscription, such as feature deactivation)...

As I suggested, it's all about slowly but progressively changing peoples mindset.

Yup!

Over 45% of all winders users are still clinging to their beloved version 7

They'll pay for life-support... or MS will pull the plug.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:08:10 am by VinDSL »

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 03:03:29 pm »
The best part is where they describe it as a service. Must be the kind of service where your waiter/waitress isn't very nice, your food is cold and they charge you 3 times for the same meal. :P

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 03:15:25 pm »
they describe it [Win10] as a service.

Yeah, all part of the great subliminal mindset preparation.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 03:28:54 pm »
Basically, I see this as a deadline for AMD to get the AMPRO driver stack all ready and working flawlessly in Linux. ;) 'Cause you know I'll drop Windows again, or at least disable the Internet in Win10 and use it solely for gaming. As far as I know, the monthly fee will just cover updates, not just turning on the computer.

And, on a couple points you mentioned earlier, of course companies will pay for Win10 support, many of them already pay for IT support anyway, and some companies are still paying to keep support rolling in on XP. (probably where M$ got this idea) So, they'll pay for Windows 10. And, I'd be willing to bet some of the Home users will wind up shelling out cash, mostly due to ignorance about Linux and not wanting to buy a Mac. However, most won't. Some will just run it without updates, which is incredibly stupid, but we're talking about people here. Others will check out alternatives. However, I'll be willing to bet a fair number will pay just to keep Windows and keep it "safe" with updates.

I think Microsoft would actually be better off doing something like SUSE Linux and Red Hat, and having an Enterprise version and an open source version. Let a foundation take over Windows for home users, and  they don't have to keep shelling out cash for it. Of course, they'd still have oversight, as SUSE and Red Hat do. And, let companies pay for Enterprise Windows. It seems to work for SUSE, Red Hat and others.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 03:33:24 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 03:32:29 pm »
Oh sure, unlike some other knee jerk articles I've read I'm not suggesting this will be the end of Windows .. in fact just the opposite, it'll be what keeps Windows alive and viable until Microsoft drop it for greener pastures (which IMHO is also in the pipeline, but a different topic).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 03:35:06 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec