Author Topic: OMG! Office 365 has totally invaded my online work life  (Read 2569 times)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
OMG! Office 365 has totally invaded my online work life
« on: September 03, 2018, 09:52:57 pm »
A few years ago, I started dual-booting Peppermint and winders, on my laptop, so I could collaborate with Microsoft Office users when I was on the trot - sitting across the table from them, 1000s of miles away from my desktop machine.

Then, I started dual booting Peppermint and winders on my desktop machines, so I didn't have to dig the 'road warrior' out of my laptop bag, and set it up.

Later, they came up with an online version of Microsoft Office... Office 365, which meant I didn't necessarily have to dual-boot Peppermint and winders. However, I preferred to use 'the real thing'. Still, Office 365 came in handy when I was on a kiosk, or roaming inside my workplace.

Recently, Office 365 (Ice app) was added to Peppermint 9. So, I don't necessarily even have to reboot into winders.

Now, Microsoft has come out with a mobile version of Office 365. I just installed it, and it works  :o

LINK #1: You can now use your Office 365 Personal subscription on all your devices

LINK #2: Get Office for Android

Bastards! Now, I'll never get rid of them. I'll be carrying Office 365 around in my pocket  ::)

Anyone that thinks the winders subscription model isn't working is suffering from blue-sky thinking.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:54:45 pm by VinDSL »

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: OMG! Office 365 has totally invaded my online work life
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 10:26:10 pm »
As I see it office is the exception, not the rule  ;)
It's so integrated in most of the peoples lives, that they can charge you whatever they want.
I guess it would be the same with other, more "niche" like things  photoshop and the likes.
The OS, on the other hand will become useless.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 05:14:19 am »
Sorry pin but I think you're wrong .. currently the OS is the exception to the rule, pretty much everything else now works on a subscription model.

People bitched about things like Office 365, SAGE, Adobe CS suite, and the like .. and then (reluctantly) accepted it.

Sure, a few people will leave (and come over to Linux/OS X/Android/ChromeOS) but the vast majority will accept it for the very reason you mention - "It's so integrated in most of the peoples lives"

New users won't have the old model for comparison .. and it becomes the norm.

A lot will be done to sweeten the transition .. but it **IS** coming.

Microsoft can no longer support the "one time purchase" model, it's simple economics .. the old model is becoming untenable, and the new model either works or Windows dies (not something I think Microsoft actually care that much about any more anyway, it's no longer where the money is).

Windows **will** eventually die, but not because of a change to subscription .. which is really just a band-aid for the much larger issue of shrinking market, static costs, and return on investment being better focussed elsewhere (cloud and IoT).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 05:19:49 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 05:34:50 am »
A lot will be done to sweeten the transition .. but it **IS** coming.

Exactly! With the Office subscription you get 1 TB of cloud space and 60 minutes of Skype VOIP. I've been using Office (well, Word) as an ICE app for a long time. However, I only do it for compatibility, when it's necessary. The online version of Word still lacks some basic features (or I'm too dumb to find it). I use more and more Google Apps (now G Suite). It's simple, it's fast and it works! Try the collaboration feature!

I have completely wiped Windows from my computer. Office was the only thing keeping me tied. Still, I'm an office subscriber, even thought I only use it online and don't care that much to cloud space or Skype minutes...

What I can't understand is how all the Office alternatives don't default to ODF.
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 05:40:24 am »
I think, if anything, the previously unheard of support for Office on other platforms is proof that Microsoft is preparing for life after Windows. Now you can run Office 365 in a web browser, making it possible to run Office on OSX, Linux, even Chromebooks. This, as PCNetSpec said, makes the choice of operating systems moot. The addition of Android and iOS apps makes it accessible to phone and tablet users. There was a time when MS bragged that Windows was the **only way** to run Office. Now look where they're at. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." No, MS has seen which way the breeze is blowing and has decided to move with it, rather than fight it. It's one of the smartest moves they've made in a while.

Bastards! Now, I'll never get rid of them. I'll be carrying Office 365 around in my pocket  ::)

And that's how they like it. ;)

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 06:47:42 am »
Maybe, I didn't put it through as I intended to...
People will keep paying for office and other applications, but not the OS.
I ment office as an exception, since it should by far, be the most widely used application.
Personally, I don't really care, but at work we are still stuck with windows because a lot of applications we need are only available for windows. So, it's not windows per se we need, we need the scientific apps that are only available for the plattform  :'(

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 09:12:14 am »

You just watch em ;)
(same was said about Office 365, SAGE, Adobe CS, etc.)

And the ones that don't, Microsoft investors doesn't care about .. why should they, they no longer pay the dividends ?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:15:00 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 12:16:00 pm »
Not really of interest for most of you, but one of the major players in chemistry software (note, not THE major) is providing .deb and .rpm packages  :D
Times are changing  8)

Free license for personal use.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:14:13 pm by pin »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 12:48:38 pm »
They are indeed a'changin :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 11:41:31 pm »
Hi pin,

Thanks for the tip!  ;)

I'll be trying it soon. I've been looking for something like this for quite a while now. So far all I've found have been unsatisfactory.

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 12:52:24 am »
Hi pin,

Thanks for the tip!  ;)

I'll be trying it soon. I've been looking for something like this for quite a while now. So far all I've found have been unsatisfactory.

Regards,

-- Slim

:o Are you also a chemist?!
Just create an account using your e-mail at their web site. After, you will be able to login and download the .deb package.

Offline Slim.Fatz

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Where's the mouse?
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7, 8.5 & 10 - 64bit
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 07:51:32 am »

Hi pin,

No, I'm not a chemist. My PhD is in human physiology (special concentration in neuro- and cardio-pulmonary physiology). Teaching these subjects today requires bringing many students up to par on various biochemical topics, most of which they have already had, but thought that they could forget now that their biochem classes are behind them! Ha, ha -- and surprise, surprise!  :D It's mostly stuff related to synthesis and metabolism of hormones & neurotransmitters, regulation pathways, receptor ligands, etc. that are all pretty detailed at the molecular levels -- much more so than when I learned this stuff years ago!!  :o

I already registered and DL'd the MarvinSketch deb-package. Will start playing around with it for the new classes that will be arriving soon. Thanks again for the info.  8)

Regards,

-- Slim
Respect science, respect nature, respect each other.

Tread lightly: Fluxbox, JWM, i3, Openbox, awesome

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 11:25:12 am »
 :-*
You’re welcome Slim  :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:10:50 pm by pin »

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 08:50:04 pm »

You just watch em ;)

Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge
Forbes (8-SEP-2018):  https://goo.gl/M7ke2w

Microsoft MSFT -0.45% has always described Windows 10 “as a service” and leaks have already revealed new monthly charges are coming. Of course, for Windows 7 owners this was never something they expected to pay. But times change…

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 06:21:23 am »
Softening people up...

Asked if people would pay monthly for Windows 10, everyone says "NO, that's insane and will kill Windows"

Asked if companies should pay a monthly fee for extended support, people say "well sure that makes sense"

Come 2020 some Win7 home users will ask "hey why can't we keep 7 by paying for extended support ?" .. and Microsoft will use that call as the 'reasoning' behind the Win10 subscription fee .. "hey we're doing you a favour by doing this".

Then will come the Win10 subscription sweeteners (and/or 'punishments' for not switching to subscription, such as feature deactivation)...

As I suggested, it's all about slowly but progressively changing peoples mindset.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:27:19 am by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec