Choose style:

Author Topic: Google: I Donít Think That Word Means What You Think It Means  (Read 514 times)

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Google: I Donít Think That Word Means What You Think It Means
« on: September 03, 2018, 03:06:21 pm »
Just read an interesting article on LinkedIn. Might need to be a LI member to see it: https://goo.gl/nL51q3

From the body of the post...

<SNIP>
Internet Currencies

There are many different currencies that can be transformed into wealth. This is especially easy to do with digital tools. FANG (Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, and Google) provide some handy examples:

Attention ó Facebook knows what you are paying attention to. You post and share the things you care about, and your Facebook profile makes your attention actionable.

Consumption Ė Amazon knows what you consume and what youíre thinking about consuming. If youíve bought it or you are planning to buy it, Amazon knows it and can act on that data.

Passion Ė Netflix knows your passions. You demonstrate how you can be reached on an emotional level every time you watch a video. Netflix knows more about the kind of entertainment that ignites your passions than you do. It continually acts on that data.

Intention Ė Google knows your intentions. You never intend to go to Google and stay there; you search for what you intend to do. Your Google profile indicates, with a very high degree of accuracy, what you are likely to do in the near-term future. This is some of the clearest, most actionable data in the world.

Turning Data into Cash
<SNIP>

The article really isn't about Internet tracking, but the small sampling above points out why our personal data is so valuable to corporations, governments, et cetera.

That's only 4 parts to the puzzle, mind you. Imagine the data that's been collected and collated from 100's or 1000's of sources ;)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Google: I Donít Think That Word Means What You Think It Means
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 04:11:37 pm »
A buddy over on Vero True Social was posting all sorts of #Conform #Consume #Obey photos just before this appeared on my screen... I love synchronicity
spence
PeppermintOS 10 Respin currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.