Choose style:

Author Topic: Mozilla shares data on how Firefox users are using its browser and the Internet  (Read 799 times)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
After all, it's YOUR data ... ;)

LINK #1: Let’s be Transparent (August 28, 2018)
We collect non-sensitive data from the Firefox desktop browsers’ Telemetry system, which sends us data on the browser’s performance, hardware, usage and customizations. All data undergoes an extensive review process to ensure that anything we collect is necessary and secure. If you’re curious about exactly what data you’re sending to Mozilla, you can see for yourself by navigating to about:telemetry in the Firefox browser (and if you’re uncomfortable with sending any of this data to Firefox, you can always disable data collection by going to about:preferences#privacy.)

LINK #2 Mozilla publishes Firefox Public Data Report (August 28, 2018)
Forward-looking: Mozilla's report covers Firefox usage on the web but according to Rebecca Weiss, head of Mozilla's public data science effort, they're hoping to add mobile usage to the mix at some point.

Mozilla a few years back launched the Firefox Hardware Report as a public resource to share what hardware is being actively used in the wild. Now, the software maker is bolstering the data with new information on how desktop Firefox users are using its browser and the Internet.

Mozilla had high hopes that its Quantum browser would help it better compete with Google’s Chrome but according to the first wave of data, that hasn't really happened. As of March 31, 2017, there were nearly 313 million Firefox clients running on desktop computers worldwide (monthly active users). A year later, the figure had fallen to just north of 293 million.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Much ado about nothing, my friend. This has been part of Firefox for years. It's an opt in/opt out kind of deal. Most of us have the telemetry disabled, because it is our data. You can enter about:telemetry in your address bar and see what is being collected and sent to Mozilla.

See, disabled.

If it ever becomes non voluntary, then it will be time to switch browsers.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
I'm running Nightly and this is what my about:telemetry reads:

This page shows the information about performance, hardware, usage and customizations collected by Telemetry. This information is submitted to Mozilla to help improve Firefox Nightly.

Telemetry is collecting pre-release data and upload is enabled.

Each piece of information is sent bundled into “pings“. You are looking at the current ping.

Looking for more information?

The Firefox Data Documentation contains guides about how to work with our data tools.
    The Firefox Telemetry client documentation includes definitions for concepts, API documentation and data references.
    The Telemetry dashboards allow you to visualize the data Mozilla receives via Telemetry.
We're all Peppermint users and that's what matters  ;).  -- AndyInMokum

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
If it bothers you perknh, disable it in

Edit > Preferences > Privacy & Security

and untick the two boxes under the "Firefox Data Collection and Use" heading.

At least you can disable it in FF, and they're open about it .. and they are open about it .. there are links next to the settings that tell you everything about it

I don't even mind if it's enabled by default, so kinda "opt out", as long as the switch clearly displayed in the Preferences GUI and not buried.

[EDIT]

If I had to bitch about anything, it'd be the need to enter
about:config
to set extensions.pocket.enabled to false .. this should IMHO be a simple tickbox in the "settings" too, as opposed to buried in an arcane about:config key.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 10:52:21 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
If it bothers you perknh, disable it in

Edit > Preferences > Privacy & Security

and untick the two boxes under the "Firefox Data Collection and Use" heading.

At least you can disable it in FF, and they're open about it .. and they are open about it .. there are links next to the settings that tell you everything about it

I don't even mind if it's enabled by default, so kinda "opt out", as long as the switch clearly displayed in the Preferences GUI and not buried.

[EDIT]

to set extensions.pocket.enabled to false .. this should IMHO be a simple tickbox in the "settings" too, as opposed to buried in an arcane about:config key.

Thank you, PCNetSpec, but I'm fine with it.  What I'm sharing will help with development.  I don't share, however, in Firefox stable.  I don't see how my data can help much with development after a stable release. :-\

I posted last night about Firefox Nightly.  It's a sharp looking browser.  I like its neon blue purple icon.  I like the look. ;)

Offline spence

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • peppermint user since 2010
    • View Profile
    • My MeWe profile
okay, now I am diving  into about:config in each SSB instance to note there are half a dozen things to mark FALSE, when one only types telemetry in the search bar... and then happily disabling pocket in all instances...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 01:09:35 pm by spence »
spence
PeppermintOS 10 currently installed  on:
'16 Antec Aria rebuild
 '18 Asus VivoBook

Do not despair, grasshopper...
    with patience all will be revealed...
       Through pain, enlightenment will come.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile

Here's his article by Dilum Senevirathne, from March of this year, that shows us how to disable various functions or aspects of Pocket.

How to Disable Pocket for Firefox on Desktop and Mobile

By Dilum Senevirathne for Guiding Tech.

https://www.guidingtech.com/disable-pocket-firefox-desktop-mobile/

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9

Not only that, but when you first install the browser and it's on by default, there's a warning thing that comes up, should you want to look at it and disable it. So, yeah, total transparency. They've never hidden that they do this and make it super easy to turn off.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
I found this article on how to tighten up Firefox's privacy settings even more.  Some of the tweaks presented here may make Firefox act a little buggy.  For instance, if you change privacy.resistFingerprinting in your about:config settings, you can expect a screen size issue that will require one click to enlarge the screen.  Also your site settings will only persist for the session.  Still it's great that Firefox gives us so many options. ;)

https://restoreprivacy.com/firefox-privacy/

P.S.

Sven Taylor has many other terrific privacy-focused articles hound here.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:24:18 pm by perknh »