Choose style:

Author Topic: Firefox to block tracking by default.  (Read 728 times)

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Firefox to block tracking by default.
« on: September 03, 2018, 01:57:00 pm »
Mozilla have announced future versions of Firefox will block tracking by default .. but will allow user controls to 'opt in'.
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2018/08/30/changing-our-approach-to-anti-tracking/

Amongst other quotes are:-
Removing cross-site tracking

In the physical world, users wouldnít expect hundreds of vendors to follow them from store to store, spying on the products they look at or purchase. Users have the same expectations of privacy on the web, and yet in reality, they are tracked wherever they go. Most web browsers fail to help users get the level of privacy they expect and deserve.

...[snip]...

Why are we doing this?

This is about more than protecting users ó  itís about giving them a voice. Some sites will continue to want user data in exchange for content, but now they will have to ask for it, a positive change for people who up until now had no idea of the value exchange they were asked to make. Blocking pop-up ads in the original Firefox release was the right move in 2004, because it didnít just make Firefox users happier, it gave the advertising platforms of the time a reason to care about their usersí experience. In 2018, we hope that our efforts to empower our users will have the same effect.

There's also instructions at the above link to manually enable this tracking protection right now if you're using the current Firefox Nightly.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:00:44 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Firefox to block tracking by default.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 06:05:21 pm »
Good, saves me from one more setup step with Firefox. 8) I always remember to turn off the telemetry, but sometimes I forget the tracking until later on down the road.

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 07:34:11 pm »
No this is much more than just the current "do not track" setting .. which is effectively just a "request" that the site can ignore.

Currently these settings are only available in the nightly build .. and they have to be manually set in that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:37:16 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 01:52:37 am »
What is the recommended ppa to add to get the nightly builds for Firefox and Thunderbird ?

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadrippe 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 1 x 43" 1 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P10 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 12:53:13 pm »
Firefox

If you want to try out Firefox Nightly....

First I've found it a good idea to copy your current Firefox profile so it's picked up by Firefox Nightly (so you have your current bookmarks, passwords, etc. in Nightly too):
Code: [Select]
cp -r ~/.mozilla/firefox ~/.mozilla/firefox-trunk
now add the PPA and install
Code: [Select]
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox-trunk
you should now have BOTH

Menu > Internet > Firefox Web Browser
and
Menu > Internet > Nightly Wed Browser

Be aware, the profile for standard Firefox and Nightly are COMPLETELY separate .. what's done in one will NOT be reflected in the other.

And YES, I know the PPA mentions "daily", but trust me you do end up with FF Nightly .. go figure eh :)

Thunderbird

As far as I know there is no PPA for Thunderbird nightly/daily/beta any more....

But you can still try out Thunderbird 60 beta following these instructions:
https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,7401.msg75797.html#msg75797
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 12:55:57 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 05:55:55 pm »
Just be prepared for shenanigans with the nightly builds.  ::) If memory serves, I tried Firefox nightly years ago, and the instability of it got to me. Now I just wait for the stable releases. But, to each their own.