Choose style:

Author Topic: Dropbox Woes  (Read 228 times)

Offline caskin

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
Dropbox Woes
« on: August 10, 2018, 10:41:26 pm »
Dropbox Is Dropping Support For All Linux File Systems Except Unencrypted Ext4
https://linux.slashdot.org/story/18/08/10/2120248/dropbox-is-dropping-support-for-all-linux-file-systems-except-unencrypted-ext4

Anyone have some suggestions for a cross platform alternative to Dropbox?

I am considering: Sync.com or roll my own with, Own cloud, Next cloud or a QNAP system.

Honestly just need to have access to my keepassx file, really don't care about space but would be nice to have a secure server holding my files.

Any thoughts?

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Dropbox Woes
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 02:34:14 am »
Hi caskin, how's it going  :)?  I've been using MEGA for years: https://mega.nz/.  The free version comes with a very generous 50GB of cloud storage  8).  It features, end-to-end encryption and syncs across all commonly used devices.  It's really easy to install via a .deb file  ;)
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 05:23:05 am »
Hi caskin, for me somebody gave me Seagate NAS (they Upgraded) ;). Now...... of course you need to back it up.
But still .......using  OpenVPN with https://www.noip.com/  and that's how I get to my Keepass file. 

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 06:48:58 am »
Hi caskin, how's it going  :)?  I've been using MEGA for years: https://mega.nz/.  The free version comes with a very generous 50GB of cloud storage  8).  It features, end-to-end encryption and syncs across all commonly used devices.  It's really easy to install via a .deb file  ;).

The web site says that the free version expires after 180 days.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 x64
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 08:00:16 am »
Hi peppycrab,

I have had a mega account FREE for at leat 2 yrs now and my stuff is still up there.

The 180 day expiration is regarding offering additional space for inviting friends etc and getting them to signup. At least that is the way I read it.

Hope this helps

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P9 x64 Desktop - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz - 32Gb RAM - NVIDIA GTX1060 6Gb - 2 x 27 " 4k 3840x2160
x64 Laptop - Intel(R) Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline caskin

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 08:09:54 am »
Thanks guys, I have a Debian server with 2TB Raid 1 that backs up to a NAS 1TB Raid 1. They hold everything and I'm a little paranoid about allowing access from the internet. I do like the Mega option but they don't provide free storage, but for convenience and better security than the free services its probably worth it.

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 05:02:54 pm »
Hi peppycrab,

I have had a mega account FREE for at leat 2 yrs now and my stuff is still up there.

The 180 day expiration is regarding offering additional space for inviting friends etc and getting them to signup. At least that is the way I read it.

Hope this helps

Regards Zeb...

Good news! I'll check into it.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 06:41:54 pm »
Hi peppycrab,

Hope this helps

Regards Zeb...

Good news! I'll check into it.

Me too, I've still the 50GB of free space deal, of which 23GB is unused.  MEGA has never let me down  ;).
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Online VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 09:33:55 pm »
Late to the party, but yeah... another satisfied Mega user here.

A couple of nags: Don't lose your key, or you're screwed - or so they say. I've taken heed of the warning, and never lost my key(s), so I'll have to take 'their' word for it. Supposedly, they don't store the keys locally. The account owner has the only copy. If you lose your key, they can't recover your files, or restore access - intentionally, for security and legal reasons.

And, in my experience, while file downloads transfer at normal speeds, uploading files to their servers is hideously slow. I've always chucked this off as "you get what you pay for." Maybe upload speeds are better on paid accounts, but it's not unusual for uploads to Mega servers to take many, many,  hours from this location, in dusty Arizona.

Truthfully, I don't care how long file transfers take, in either direction. To me, it's reassuring to have my files sitting in a secure location - where I can quickly access them when I'm on the trot, using the app or the web interface.

I'll stop now...  ;D

Offline caskin

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 03:18:34 pm »
Good to hear, I am testing Mega and Pcloud side by side.  Will see how it goes.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 12:56:50 am »
I would highly recommend Mega I've used it for a few years and it works flawlessly, that said It's not as fast synching/transferring files as Dropbox as least that's how it seems, but it seems to have improved recently so it could be they've made some speed improvements lately, all in all it's a great solution and 50gb is awesome

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline kloos

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64 bit)
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 08:10:55 am »
I have also used Mega for static storage for many years for free.  But they don't have the integration to the filesystem that dropbox has.  So you can't save-as and select your directory.  Instead you have to save locally and wait for it to sync.  I know that in practice dropbox might actually do this but it makes the whole experience so much more transparent.  Also, I can't install Mega at work but I do have dropbox.  So if dropbox goes from Linux then I will have a difficult choice ahead of me. >:(

Offline caskin

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 05:59:42 pm »
The company I work for has black listed Mega, Dropbox and a few others due to them being insecure or having crappy privacy policies.  The storage space on Mega is enticing, but I'm really digging Pcloud at the moment. You can choose local folders to sync up to the cloud instead of having two copies of the same stuff local. The actual Pcloud folder is just a virtual drive that shows up as a mounted volume.

Offline kloos

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8 (64 bit)
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 08:27:42 am »
I'm really digging Pcloud at the moment.

Is there anything to install locally as I don't have admin rights on my work pc?

Offline caskin

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 05:34:03 pm »
Is there anything to install locally as I don't have admin rights on my work pc?

I am using the client and there is a console client https://github.com/pcloudcom/console-client
Also browser plugins or just login to website.
Other than that I'm not sure.