Author Topic: Thunderbird migration from Win 7  (Read 1037 times)

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
Thunderbird migration from Win 7
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:07:51 am »
I put Peppermint 9 on my g/f netbook, dual booted with Windows 7. What is the best way to move her folders & email from Thunderbird on Win 7 to Thunderbird on P9?

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Thunderbird migration from Win 7
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 08:48:29 am »
Try this, but DO NOT delete the original in Windows until you're completely happy everything is working in Linux.

Just copy the entire Thunderbird profile directory from the Windows machine to the Linux one.

Here's how to find the profile directory in different OS's
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird

Once you've copied it from the windows machine .. place it in your home folderf, and rename it to:-

.thunderbird

(don't skip the "." at the beginning).

Then install thunderbird, and fire it up.

In particular, check to see if the address book entries copied across and are working .. I can't remember if TBird in Windows uses the Windows address book or its own.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:52:01 am by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 01:52:11 pm »
What if Thunderbird is already installed on the new P9? Will it overwrite the existing profile? I have it set to leave all email on the server (She has Tbird on a PC, where she downloads permanent copies). If the Windows profile overwrites the existing profile, will she be able to retrieve emails that have been "downloaded"?

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 12:28:58 pm »
Update: I copied the profile from the windows Thunderbird, and got the Peppermint OS to load it. I installed the addon Profileswitcher in the hope that I could use both the "old" and "new" profiles, but I can't get it to recognize the "old" profile. Her email addresses are all gmail, so worse comes to worst she can read the "lost" emails on Gmail's site,
Thank you for all your help.