Choose style:

Author Topic: unable to get P'mint DVD drive to boot.  (Read 326 times)

Offline flighty

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
unable to get P'mint DVD drive to boot.
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:37:43 am »
Hi,
I now have a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7010 Pc.  I can't install P'mint because my live OS dvd is not recognised, or something.  I've tried another Linux os and it is the same with that.
My wife has bought the Pc for me from a shop 5 hours away by car.  I did send the shopkeeper a Mint Linux DVD beforehand and asked that he check that Linux installs okay.  My wife brought the Pc back yesterday with Mint Linux on it.  Without the dvd.  And i now don't have the username or password  so I can't use the computer sensibly.
I've learnt a lesson here.  My wife was trying to please me when she suggested that she buys the pc, and I was trying to please her by buying it.  How to I get to actually use it?

Online PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R and 9
Re: unable to get P'mint DVD drive to boot.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 09:39:50 am »
It may well be an issue with the DVD drive .. have you tried creating a LiveUSB stick instead ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline flighty

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 12:24:20 pm »
hi,
Sorry not to have replied quicker.  I've had trouble with my router.

No, I haven't tried a usb stick.  I think that's  a good idea.  The upright dvd drive is a bit rattly. I have a Kingston G3 Data traveller 16 gb.  I take it that this is what I need to create a live USB stick?  I've hardly used it.

I did notice once somewhere in the P'mint menu that there are the necessary programs to do the creation.  Would I need anything else?

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Peppermint - Void - NetBSD
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 7 Respin (64bit)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 01:17:45 pm »
Do you have access to any Linux computer? or... just windows?
Under windows I would use Rufus, that's what I did the first time... but can't really help there... there are NO windows machines in this place  :D
If you can get your hands on a Linux PC and need help on "how to" just post back and let us know which distro this PC has.
Regards

Offline flighty

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 05:47:54 pm »
Right, this Optiplex has only Linux Mint 18 on it, put there by the Shop owner to show me that Linux can be used on it.  He probably used a memory stick but as I wasn't there I don't know.

My main computer has Peppermint Linux on it and nothing else. 

I take it that I would have to download whatever Linux I want to this main computer and then 'burn' the OS to the Data Traveller?    Any advice would be appreciated.

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 02:09:41 am »
On your Peppermint machine,
Download the version you want to install and verify the md5sum or the sha256sum.
Insert the usb stick, go to the folder where you have the downloaded .iso, right click on it and choose create a bootable usb.
On the new window that opens, choose the device and click write. Wait until it finishes. That's it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:41:27 am by pin »

Offline flighty

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 12:05:06 pm »
By God, that was easy.  Peppermint is now installed and working well as usual.

Many, many thanks to those .who posted.    I do appreciate your willingness to help.

Flighty
Hi,
I now have a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7010 Pc.  I can't install P'mint because my live OS dvd is not recognised, or something.  I've tried another Linux os and it is the same with that.
My wife has bought the Pc for me from a shop 5 hours away by car.  I did send the shopkeeper a Mint Linux DVD beforehand and asked that he check that Linux installs okay.  My wife brought the Pc back yesterday with Mint Linux on it.  Without the dvd.  And i now don't have the username or password  so I can't use the computer sensibly.
I've learnt a lesson here.  My wife was trying to please me when she suggested that she buys the pc, and I was trying to please her by buying it.  How to I get to actually use it?

SOLVED

Online pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 01:32:32 pm »
Nice  :)

Glad you got it sorted  ;D

Could you please modify the title of your first post and append (Solved) to it?
That way others will know there is a solution.