Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 9 on Distrowatch weekly  (Read 1043 times)

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Peppermint 9 on Distrowatch weekly
« on: July 23, 2018, 01:26:39 am »
Check it out https://distrowatch.com/weekly-mobile.php?issue=20180723

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Just say NO to flatpak and snap!!

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): PM 9 & PM 8 Respin-2 (64-bit)
Re: Peppermint 9 on Distrowatch weekly
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 06:46:47 am »
Another reviewer who doesn't understand what Peppermint is about.  Reviewers seem to be incapable of thinking outside of the box.  Joshua Allen Holm is no different in this respect.  Instead of guessing at what a distro is trying to achieve, they should first consider contacting the developers for clarification.  I guess that approach is too simple and logical.  Yeah it's a good review but it's for all the wrong reasons :(.
Backup! Backup! Backup! If you're missing any of these -  you ain't Backed Up!
For my system info please L/click HERE.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 07:00:23 am »
Yeap Andy!
I've also found it disapointing :(
Did you noticed that on the same issue they have highlighted the recent problems that Mint had?
I know, the text is not from the same person but, if they had only noticed that these issues had been solved in Peppermint ;)

It’s the little differences that make Peppermint great, and those you won't find before using the system for real.

Oh! Almost forgot... congratulations to Slackware for it's 25 years :)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 07:35:17 am »
It's pretty typical, unfortunately. I read the review and skimmed through the comments. Then I commented. (Chris, comment #17) I pointed out how I've been using Peppermint for years and typically don't use the SSBs. I also pointed out how I recently found a nifty use for Ice with Firefox, something you can't do by opening a new tab. :)

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9, 10
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:17:29 am »
Peppermint 9 is not for everyone, but users who do most their work in Google Docs or Microsoft Office Online should give Peppermint a try. However, users accustomed to using traditional desktop applications might want to stick to one of the many alternatives out there. Yes, Peppermint 9 can be easily adjusted to use traditional desktop applications, but many of the other distribution options out there come with those kinds of applications pre-installed.
So the reviewer would rather switch to a different operating system than just install LibreOffice, which takes less than five minutes.   :P

Maybe it would be a good idea to be as blunt as possible, like: We give you a solid base system. You can extend it by installing software from the vast Ubuntu repositories or integrate web apps with Ice.

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 10:37:29 am »
Peppermint 9 is not for everyone, but users who do most their work in Google Docs or Microsoft Office Online should give Peppermint a try. However, users accustomed to using traditional desktop applications might want to stick to one of the many alternatives out there. Yes, Peppermint 9 can be easily adjusted to use traditional desktop applications, but many of the other distribution options out there come with those kinds of applications pre-installed.
So the reviewer would rather switch to a different operating system than just install LibreOffice, which takes less than five minutes.   :P

Maybe it would be a good idea to be as blunt as possible, like: We give you a solid base system. You can extend it by installing software from the vast Ubuntu repositories or integrate web apps with Ice.

Come on Fritz74, that's too obvious.  <<< sarcasm rearing its ugly head  :D.  How about those folk that don't want to use LibreOffice?  They'd rather use ONLYOFFICE or WPS.  Why should we impose or our ideas on the end user.  It's not like you have to buy the software to try it.  Download it, try it, keep it, or discard it - simple.  I'm with you 100%  ;).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 10:41:44 am by AndyInMokum »

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 11:04:44 am »

It’s the little differences that make Peppermint great, and those you won't find before using the system for real.

Yes, it seems the reviewer couldn't be bothered to spend much time using the distro and was just looking for an easy differentiator. Pretty lazy but then I saw this underneath:

Peppermint OS has a visitor supplied average rating of: 8.8/10 from 132 review(s).

Now that would make me more likely to want to try it than the text of this review.

Offline Fritz74

• m, 45, Austria
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9, 10
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 11:15:05 am »
@AndyInMokum: I remember your well written comment about what Peppermint wants to achieve under the following interview:
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/an-interview-with-peppermint-ceo-mark-greaves

But people are superficial. If I were Mark, I would threaten to punch them if they continue saying Peppermint is all about Ice.

Offline Ly

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 11:43:02 am »
i think they'r just copy/past'ing other "reviews" they find on the net about peppermint, too bad they don't take example on the good reviews and stick to this "cloud based distro" stigma  :-\

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 12:14:05 pm »
Sad (and annoying) isn't it :(
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 03:37:14 pm »
We should have English Bob take him for a ride in his taxi!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Steve

My main machine:
AMD FX-8320 Piledriver (Vishera) 3.5GHz (4.1GHz turbo) (Eight Core) AM3+ 8MB Cache
AMD Black Edition Copper HeatPipe EXTRA QUIET fan
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX AM3+, SLI & Cross Fire, SATA3, USB 3.0
16GB (2x8GB) PC17000 DDR3 2133 Dual Channel (high

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 03:42:03 am »
@AndyInMokum: I remember your well written comment about what Peppermint wants to achieve under the following interview:
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/an-interview-with-peppermint-ceo-mark-greaves

But people are superficial. If I were Mark, I would threaten to punch them if they continue saying Peppermint is all about Ice.

Yeah Fritz, I hear you mate.  What I find so bloody annoying, is how the goals of the distro are misinterpreted time and time again.  The solution is simple too.  Drop Mark, or even me an email explaining how he's writing a review and he has several questions about this, than and another.  The straight from the horse's mouth approach can be included in the review.  This way there can be no doubt to which direction and the ultimate  goals of the distro.  With that out of the way, the review is free to be as subjective as much as he/she wants.  The reader is now in a position to make an informed choice  ;).

Ice continues to be the elephant in the room.  It's still treated as the package Peppermint is built around.  Rather than it being an optional extra.  The mama elephant in the room, is the lack of pre-installed office and graphical software.  The concept of leaving these choices up to the individual user, continues to elude reviewers.  They completely fail to understand how preinstalled "user" software does nothing to enhance the distro; it's an enigma to them  :-\. They don't understand, it's the base components and how they interact with each other, that gives the distro it's characteristics.  They continually fail to grasp how the freedom to choose, is what gives the user an incredible amount to power.   These "reviewers" don't take the time to conduct proper, informed research.  In fact, I often think they don't understand the incredible amount of power and flexibility the Open source Licensing Agreement and the Linux kernel together produces.   Much of these type of reviews are as Ly commented on, cut & paste journalism.  This is bound by its nature to produce reviews that are thin and lacking in detail.  It really annoys me too because the perpetuated inconsistencies these types of reviews create, are not only bad for Peppermint.  They're bad for the whole Linux community.  To be blunt, they're just plain sloppy  >:(

Imagine someone showing interest in using Linux.  Their criteria is the distro must be lightweight and easy to customise.  It must be bug free.  It mustn't be a specialized single purpose distro.  After reading Joshua Allen Holm's review, Peppermint 9 is off the table as a suitable distro.  In reality, it ticks/checks all the boxes as the ideal distro.  A nervous computer user could find the lack of product knowledge that many reviewers show, very off putting. 

Anyway, that's my rant over for the day.  It's too hot here to get all worked up.   30ºC plus, (86ºF plus) with a relative humidity of: 68,1 % and rising.  It's a sticky one in Amsterdam.  It reminds me, I must load up the fridge with beer before the supermarket shelves are wiped out by the invading hordes  :)).

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 03:54:41 am »
Oh man!
Get me a La Trappe Quadruple ...PLEASE ;)

One is enough :D

Offline AndyInMokum

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 04:53:02 am »
Oh man!
Get me a La Trappe Quadruple ...PLEASE ;)

One is enough :D

On yes, that's a knee knocker for sure.  It's a great Dutch beer.  If fact it's one the world's great beers  ;).  I'm into Cornet at the moment.  It's a beautiful Belgian oak aged, top fermented blond, with a secondary fermentation in the bottle.  At 8.5% abv, it's also to be drunk with caution.  The Cornet glass is very classy too.  Yeah, dem Belgians know a thing or two about brewing, that's for sure  ;).

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 06:46:02 am »
Sounds perfect :)

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk