Choose style:

Author Topic: Windows (DaaS)  (Read 1663 times)

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
Windows (DaaS)
« on: August 01, 2018, 07:43:26 am »
FastGadgets - ran across an interesting article the other day.

Spoiler (click here to view / hide)

[close]
A lot of it is opinion...... even still..... DaaS would you guys consider paying for it by subscription.

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Windows (DaaS)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 08:05:40 am »
Absolutly NOT!
I don't use Windows at home, currently 4 linux laptops and 1 NetBSD laptop.
What my employer does/doesn't do, it's up to them. I've stopped answering e-mails outside office hours when they removed the possibility of remote login from non-windows machines.

Offline zebedeeboss

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Life first... Peppermint a close 2nd :)
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P10 / P9 Respin
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:07:49 am »
I don't pay for office Software - why would i pay for windows.

Monthly fee comes in I will have a spare SSD to fill with Linux

Regards Zeb...
Be Kind Whenever Possible...   It is Always Possible - Dalai Lama

Linux User #565092
P10 x64 Desktop - AMD Threadripper 2950X - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11Gb - 2 x 27" 4k 3840x2160 - 1 x 34" 5120x2160
P9/10 @ P9 x64 Laptop - i7-7700HQ @ 2.80GHz - 8Gb RAM - Nvidia GTX1050 4Gb - 15.6" HD 1920x1080

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 08:19:05 am »
He lost any credibility with me when he said "when the AV that comes with a PC runs out, I just turn it off and use the Microsoft AV" :)

As for the rest .. I've already made clear where I personally think Microsoft are headed (which included windows as a service in the mid term), so no point in going over it again.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline grafiksinc

• View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 08:39:24 am »
Well said to you all.....I totally agree..... that's why I am apart of the red and white candy crew .... ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 06:02:57 pm »
I didn't watch the video. However, the idea of paying a monthly fee for Windows has been brought up before. I think it was one of the rumors surrounding Windows 10 before launch. No, I wouldn't pay for it, and It think it would be a really bad move, one that would send Microsoft into a nosedive. Many people balk at having to pay a one time fee for Windows when they have to upgrade versions. To quote my Mom recently: I just paid $100 for Windows, I'm not paying for any more software if I don't have to. (hence, putting GIMP and LibreOffice on her computer) If you tell people they have to pay a monthly fee just for the "service" of getting to turn on their computer and boot to a desktop, they're going to tell you where you can stick that monthly fee.

Though, I think a Linux forum is probably the wrong place to ask this question. Most of us would just go totally Linux. Go ask on a forum or social page full of Windows die hards. I want to literally see them try to justify this and make it sound like a positive thing. ;)

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 07:01:31 pm »
I can truthfully say, I have never bought any Microsoft products in my life, and I don't plan to start now.

Sure, I've bought machines that came with winders licenses, but I've never paid directly out-of-pocket for it.

Well, I bought an original 'Windows' floppy disk in a senior center thrift shop for $1.00 - 'Windows 1', if you will.

It was a Norton Commander knockoff, and it ran on top of MSDOS.

Sucked!  :P

Does that count?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:27:01 pm by VinDSL, Reason: Addendum »

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 07:24:48 pm »
What my employer does/doesn't do, it's up to them.

Right! My employer provides Enterprise versions of everything you can imagine, as a condition of employment - shiz with clever names that I've never heard of before, and have no idea what they do.

Only thing I download to my (dual-boot) machine(s) is the MS Office Suite. And, I occasionally use Office 365 live on my Peppermint installs -  they pay for that subscription too.

Nope, nothing MS sells interests me, and if I wasn't working for this employer, I wouldn't need to collaborate with winders users at all, so I wouldn't have any use for their Office products either.

That said, I do enjoy testing winders 10, but that's my nature. I like breakage. Surely some psychological defect.

I don't like throwing good money after bad. I'll leave that to my employer.  8)

Offline murraymint

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • soft boiled with a yolk of gold
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 7, 8, 9
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 08:03:42 pm »
Sure, I've bought machines that came with winders licenses, but I've never paid directly out-of-pocket for it.

How big a component of the price is that anyway? Is this going to lead to significantly cheaper hardware?

(I already know the answer...)  :(

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 08:19:59 pm »
OEMs buy everything in bulk to get discounts, so it's hard to say how much of their cost is the Windows license, but probably not a huge amount. If you buy a $400 laptop powered by an i3 with 3-4 GB RAM and a decent sized HDD, you know most of that $400 is the hardware.

I've paid out of pocket for Windows twice. It's a highly overrated experience. In fact, I couldn't bring myself to do it again for Windows 10, so I wound up finding a sick deal on a gaming rig that came with 10.

Offline christianvl

• The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 06:44:57 pm »
I'm a bit late for the discussion... Anyway, I don't believe that MS would charge a monthly fee for Windows. That would lead people to actually consider free alternatives or follow the illegal path. Both are bad for business.
I can believe MS starting to show ads and then selling an "ad-free" subscription.
I've been using Linux for a long time now, and I've ditched Windows from my computer for a while now. I don't miss it, at all. However, I'm considering dual booting again (or using it in a VM), as I can't have access anymore to some Brazilian Courts (and as a lawyer, I really need it and have no choice).
There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 08:12:14 pm »
I think Microsoft wouldn't be that stupid, and there is precedent to back that up. There were two features on the XBOX One that were (hotly) discussed prior to launch. One was a need for the console to always be online, the other was charging a registration fee for used games you can buy in stores. Due to public backlash, neither feature was a reality at launch. Another thing hotly debated was that you had to buy (and, presumably, use) the Kinect camera/microphone with the early consoles. This hurt sales and Microsoft finally relented and started releasing consoles without the camera. (I wouldn't buy one with mandatory Kinect) So, even if they did announce a requirement to pay a fee to use Windows, I don't think they would implement it, as public outcry would be severe.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 10:54:36 pm »
I think Microsoft wouldn't be that stupid,

a) Bwahahaha :)) .. Microsoft have shot themselves in the foot many, many times.

and

b) It's only stupidity if you're considering the home PC market, which I remain convinced Microsoft no longer care about because of its trajectory and limited income .. their next target market is IoT and cornering that market by attaching proprietary 'security' infrastructure and codecs to a Linux OS (that BTW is developed for them for free).

They're expecting (probably correctly) that will be a MUCH larger market who's trajectory is in the right direction.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 07:35:17 am »
I explained the reasons behind my prediction. But, that was, of course, just my opinion. As I said, they've steered away from the stupid before. Doesn't necessarily mean it will happen again. However, they have to care at least somewhat about the PC market, since it's their strongest market. The PS4 has been majorly outselling the XBOX One since launch and, without any competition from Nintendo, has dominated the home console market. Android powered devices have a clear lead in the mobile device market, with Apple second and Microsoft a distant third. And, I've read reviews saying the new Surface Go is underpowered at $400. You can get a decent 'droid for much less, and an iPad for not a whole lot more. So, it would be in Microsoft's best interest to keep PC users happy. If they lose that market, it's game over for them.

Offline VinDSL

• Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Peppermint Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 11:12:23 pm »
I think Microsoft wouldn't be that stupid,

Bwahahaha :)) .. Microsoft have shot themselves in the foot many, many times.

I'm glad you had the foresight to add those MS links to the menu - saved me the trouble.

Look at the email I just got from my employer...

All

Over the last 90 days your accounts have been identified as using an unsupported protocol to access email. The protocols listed below do NOT support MFA (Multi-Factor Authentication) and will be disabled no later than Monday September 27th.

Protocols-
POP
IMAP

You may be using applications on mobile or desktop that are configured for these protocols. Supported versions of Office 2016 (Windows/Mac) will not use these protocols, from a mobile device perspective Outlook Mobile or integrated mail clients on iOS and Android can be used when registering via Intune.

If you have any questions, please reach out to me directly and I can assist.

Thanks,

Xxx Xxx Xxxxxx

Sr. Manager Collaboration

I H-A-T-E POP. Haven't used it since the last century. I'm an IMAP fanboi.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, I won't be able to use my beloved Thunderbird mail client for company mail, starting next month.

I smell a Microsoft InTune conspiracy here. Looks like I'll be forced to use Office 365 to collaborate with my peers, unless I can figure out a way to push Thunderbird as a MFA.   ::)