Choose style:

Author Topic: Windows Upgrade  (Read 3408 times)

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
Re: Windows Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 11:57:48 pm »
You can keep your new tricks .. me, I'll keep FF :))

At least FF honours accepted standards instead of trying to change them in its own image.

0.o
"Mozilla / Firefox goes all in for EVIL…"

Many of us sought out Firefox from Mozilla, an organization with a strong history supporting free speech and open access to information.

But now Mozilla has joined the dark side. They’re jumping in bed with pure evil, pushing an “Information Trust Initiative” that would block independent media sources at the browser level while favoring corporate media giants like CNN, a cesspool of deliberately fake news.

Suggested alternatives to Chrom(ium) and Fx are:

BRAVE – Run by a pro-freedom group that supports small, independent publishers (and even has a mechanism for micropayments).

Vivaldi – Run by a small, independent group with no ties to deep state funding or the NSA.

I've used BRAVE off n' on for a couple of years. It's not too bad.

If 'they' start blocking sites at the browser level, I'll drop Opera like a hot potato.  ???

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 09:52:34 am »

If 'they' start blocking sites at the browser level, I'll drop Opera like a hot potato.  ???

Brave is the best browser I've seen for Android.  But is Firefox really so bad, or evil?   According to Bryan Lunduke, Firefox is no longer a trustworthy browser.  Still, I'm not sold that Firefox cannot be trusted.  I've listened to the video below a couple of times, and I still don't know what to make of it. :-\

Mozilla is Not Trustworthy

By Bryan Lunduke
Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMALm1VthGY

[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 10:03:11 am »
(totally not the point of this thread, but...)

Here's my thought on this thing: Once Firefox blocks me from accessing a site I can access on my phone (Safari) or my tablet, (Silk, based on Chromium) then I'll start thinking Mozilla is evil. Until then, it works great for me.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 12:34:33 pm »
Still a FF user, but it's not their place too police news (that should be up to the individual) .. @Mozilla, I understand the political pressure but this would be a HUGE mistake.

Luckily Mozilla have a proven track record of making these kind of things an optional switch.
(I'd prefer opt-in, but as long as it's easily opt-outable I'm okay with it)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:38:24 pm by PCNetSpec »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline peppycrab

• New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 01:05:10 pm »
I must be THE person who has had no problems with Windows 10. I up graded from Windows 7 on my PC. It went smoothly and I've had no problems. But, I got it free - if I had to pay for an installation disc, I'd probably install Peppermint as I have on my netbook that will not run Windows 10 (W10 will not run on this set of hardware, although peppermint 8 has no problems).
Both Peppermint and Windows have their pluses and minuses. I enjoy both. After trying several distros, Peppermint is my favorite. Linux Lite is a close second. Several distros would "do" I am learning more every day. I've been recovering from a fractured ankle, so I cannot get to my PC. Peppermint is doing everything I need (with all of your help).

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 01:39:31 pm »
All hail the Anti-Windows, Linux promoting ankle :)

Just kidding .. hope you're back on your feet soon peppycrab.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 07:18:15 pm »

Brave is the best browser I've seen for Android.

WoW! Good one, perk!  :)

I installed BRAVE on my 'Hello Moto' today, after reading your post, and I love it.

I h-a-t-e-d the Google browser app - got rid of it immediately and installed the Opera browser app, which I hated less. I also tried the Opera Mini browser app which was better than the Google app, but worse than the regular Opera browser. Then I gave up and quit browser hopping.

Think Goldilocks and The Three Bears...

I instantly loved the BRAVE mobile browser app. All the sites I routinely visit look soooo much better, and the ad blocker feature rawks!

Don't know about you, but I turn the screen resolution (display size) all the way down, on my Moto, and the font size all the way up -  I picked up the idea on some 'tricks n' tips' website. Every site I've visited, so far, displays perfectly in the BRAVE browser. YaY!

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 09:11:22 pm »
I installed BRAVE on my 'Hello Moto' today, after reading your post, and I love it.

I'm so glad. :)

I h-a-t-e-d the Google browser app

Me too.  It stinks. ::)

Don't know about you, but I turn the screen resolution (display size) all the way down, on my Moto, and the font size all the way up -  I picked up the idea on some 'tricks n' tips' website. Every site I've visited, so far, displays perfectly in the BRAVE browser. YaY!

I never even thought about, but if I can find it, I'll check out my phone's resolution.  But so far, knock on wood, I've had no problems.

I try to use Peppermint's DDG as my default browser with everything, but since I can't Peppermintize DDG in Brave Android, I use StartPage as my default browser and homepage in Brave -- set on EU servers.  So far, so good.  IMO Brave browser in Android puts Ghostery, Opera Mini, Chrome, Firefox, and Firefox Focus all to shame. 

VinDSL, I hope Brave browser continues to work out well for you too.  So far, I've been very happy with it. ;)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 09:26:42 pm »
I must be THE person who has had no problems with Windows 10.

I have very few issues with it. After I got my desktop in February, it was all I ran for a few months. I put Peppermint alongside Windows 10, and I think it's a good combo. I had BSOD issues with Windows 7, which led me to using Peppermint exclusively for a few years, but I like having Windows for software compatibility. I've had no BSODs or other problems with Windows 10.

Luckily Mozilla have a proven track record of making these kind of things an optional switch.
(I'd prefer opt-in, but as long as it's easily opt-outable I'm okay with it)

I was thinking the same. They usually do make stuff like this to where you can deactivate it.

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2018, 03:35:14 pm »
For the record, I've been running Firefox Quantum browser in Peppermint 9 for about a month now, and I'm loving it.  It's been ages since I've been away from any Chromium-based browser for this length of time. 

Firefox Quantum in Peppermint 9 rocks! :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 06:11:15 pm by perknh »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2018, 04:38:04 pm »
Totally agree perknh :)

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Online grafiksinc

• Developer
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): --Debian--
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 07:24:01 am »
so....does Palemoon still count as Firefox  lol.... ;) read a post  where Pin mentioned  it awhile back..... I got hooked on it,
It's all I use now days as my daily driver browser. .

I left Chromium cuz it just felt so heavy...

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 10:55:08 am »
I don't use Palemoon anymore. TV channels were not streaming on it as they thought it was a depracated version of Firefox.
I got constant "please update your browser" warnings.

If you really like it that much, maybe you would like to check Basilisk, https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
It's kind of beta still, but I think the goal is to replace Palemoon

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2018, 02:38:56 pm »
If you like making fools of Google, you gotta love Opera.

From earlier today ...  8)

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 03:33:27 pm »
 :o Is Phoenix in Ukraina?  :o
... :-\ or was it Kiev in Arizona?  :-\

Whatever  :D