Choose style:

Author Topic: Windows Upgrade  (Read 3407 times)

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Windows Upgrade
« on: July 27, 2018, 08:21:08 pm »
Well, somewhere must've frozen over, because my Mom finally upgraded from XP. (yes, you read that correctly) I guess she finally started getting messages about something with the Internet (probably Firefox) no longer supporting dinosaur operating systems. Now, before you get too excited, there was no way I was getting her over to Linux. She started using computers at work in the mid '80s on DOS and has been a Windows user since the late '90s. She used Win98 well past EOL, until she bought a computer with XP. Her current machine is one I built for her with a really nice AMD APU (six core, if I remember correctly) and I think 4 gigs of DDR3. So, no issues upgrading to Win10, in fact she's already commented on how fast it's running compared to XP. I didn't bother trying to explain better multithreading or the advantages of 64 bit over 32. She was a little unhappy about having to create a MS account and she doesn't like having to enter her password when she boots or wakes the computer, but I told her that's how it is.

Anyway, she bought a Win10 disc on Amazon and I did the deed last night. Fortunately, since I built the computer, I figured it would have no problem taking the new OS, and I was right. It actually went even smoother than I thought. I backed up all of her important files first. Since it was coming from XP, the OS had to have a fresh install. It was my first time installing Win10, and it was faster then either XP or 7 to install. Now, I may not be able to get her onto Linux, but I am converting her to some open source software. She was using MS Works, which of course was dropped in favor of MS Office a long time ago. We tried OpenOffice, but it won't open .wps files. So, I'm going to help her get LibreOffice, which will open those files with no issues. And, I hooked her up with GIMP for editing pics because we couldn't find the license code for her old software. (I hate those things)

Anyway, that's how I spent part of my night off, playing with Windows in my Mom's computer. ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 10
Re: Windows Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 08:59:05 pm »
Congratulations to your mom. :)  She'll be a lot more secure with Windows 10.  What browser will she be using in Windows 10, scifidude79?  I imagine it will either be Firefox or Chrome.  Of course she'll now be able to play with Edge if she wants too.
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 09:16:29 pm »
I converted her to Firefox years ago. I told her Edge is what MS replaced IE with and she wants nothing to do with it. She used it long enough to download the Firefox setup file. ;)

Offline perknh

• Trusted User
  • Hero
  • Soy un huevo, nada más.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 09:49:07 pm »
I converted her to Firefox years ago. I told her Edge is what MS replaced IE with and she wants nothing to do with it. She used it long enough to download the Firefox setup file. ;)

I suspected so since I knew you were a Firefox aficionado.  That's a great choice for Windows.  TechRadar has some good things to say about Firefox in 2018.  According to them, it scores well on the privacy front. :)
[T]here are a lot of people happily running Peppermint ICE which hasn't been receiving ANY updates for a while now .. and I personally would STILL consider that MUCH more secure than any version of Windows with up-to-date AV/Anti-malware ;)

--  PCNetSpec, Cornwall, Eng.  Dec 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 02:39:04 am »
It's been my browser of choice since the first version. I've tried Chrome, Chromium and Opera over the years, but I always wind up back at Firefox.

Online VinDSL

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • Team Peppermint
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Developmental Builds
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 09:02:42 am »
Old Dogs & New Tricks

https://youtu.be/5vkj-t1ytzo

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 01:40:02 pm »
You can keep your new tricks .. me, I'll keep FF :))

Specially where "new tricks" includes putting a line feed at the end of copied text (a royal pain when you're pasting a command into the terminal, as it immediately gets executed even though I may want to edit it before running ::)

At least FF honours accepted standards instead of trying to change them in its own image.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 08:10:54 pm »
So, I found out today that Windows 10 doesn't always automatically find your DVD drive. My mom's computer wasn't finding her drive, and she wanted to use it. So, the fun of searching for help online began. (the "help" thing in Windows usually isn't any help, so I didn't bother) I wound up having to uninstall all of the ATA/IDE controllers so that it would find the SATA DVD-RW drive. I've installed various versions of Windows, from 98 to 10, lots of Linux distros, BSD, Solaris, and I've never had an OS not find an internal CD or DVD drive. So, that makes Windows 10 officially the dumbest OS I've ever installed. (in case there was any doubt :P )

I'm just glad I bought an external DVD drive for my desktop, which didn't come with one and lacks bays to install one. I plugged that in with the provided USB cable, popped in a disc and it worked like a champ in Win10. Of course, there was no issue in Peppermint 9 either, but I wasn't expecting any. ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:12:26 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline pin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 04:15:59 am »
So, I found out today that Windows 10 doesn't always automatically find your DVD drive.

Excellent! Well done microsoft  :D

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 07:26:19 am »
Yeah, I think they deserve a big slap in the face pat on the back for that one.

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 09:14:55 am »
LOL .. ammunition, love it :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 06:19:23 pm »
LOL .. ammunition, love it :)

That sounds a bit petty.  :P

Not that I'm a lover of Microsoft or anything, but Windows 10 isn't all that bad. However, it has enough dumb quirks to make it extremely aggravating. And, like I said, obviously not very smart if it doesn't detect and list basic hardware.  ::)

Edit: Then there's stupid stuff like this:

Right, I'm going to contact the manufacturer of software from the days of Windows 3.1 to see if I can get a version that will run. (actually, there's a version in the Ubuntu repos that works in Peppermint, but that's beside the point) It doesn't even tell you why it won't run. Likely, because it's a 16 bit program, but that's not the point.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:27:12 pm by scifidude79 »

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 06:48:30 pm »
I'm not being petty .. that would be if I now went looking for Windows users to hit over the head with that info, and I REALLY don't care that much to be arsed to do that.

This is purely defensive ammunition (against the next Windows fanboy that has a go at me for no other reason than I use Linux) .. return fire if you will.

[EDIT]

Trust me, I can be petty with the best of em, but this aint one of those times. ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:57:03 pm by PCNetSpec »

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 07:18:00 pm »
It was just how you said it.

Though, personally, I just ignore the Windows fanboys. There's no winning with that crowd. ::)

Offline scifidude79

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 07:25:53 pm »

(I know the answer)