Choose style:

Author Topic: Re: Trying to Get a Brother Printer to Print [Solved]  (Read 1355 times)

Offline starchase

• New Forum User, Old Old Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9
Re: Trying to Get a Brother Printer to Print [Solved]
« on: July 25, 2018, 08:55:30 pm »
I have an Asus Eee  PC 1025C that I just loaded Peppermint 9 and it works fine except for the single reason I loaded it - to print from guests USB drives at the hotel where I work.  I don't want to stick guest's drives in my Windows laptop for obvious reasons, but I figure a Linux machine will have nothing to fear.  I used the Software manager to locate a "recommended" driver and it actually does print a Test Page just fine.  But when I ask to print a pdf file the printer light does blink but then the printer rejects the print job.

I've tried all the drives that showed up by Brother on the software search but none of them worked in the least.

Is there any hope?

John
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 08:02:43 am by starchase »
Asus Eee PC 1025C, Intel Atom N2600 Dual Core 1.6GHz, 1GB DDR3, 320 GB HDD, Peppermint 9

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
Re: Trying to Get a Brother Printer to Print
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 12:51:24 am »
Hi starchase

Can you tell us the printer model ?

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline starchase

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 08:22:59 am »
Oops, thought I did! It is model # HL-L2320D.  Thanks
Asus Eee PC 1025C, Intel Atom N2600 Dual Core 1.6GHz, 1GB DDR3, 320 GB HDD, Peppermint 9

Offline stevesveryown

• Peppermint Fan
    • View Profile
    • stevesveryown
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8, 9 & 10!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 09:19:47 am »
Starchase, I found this on an Ubuntu forum.

[I would delete the existing Brother icon in your PRINTERS folder; go here

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2320d_us_as&os=128&dlid=dlf006893_000&flang=4&type3=625

and click to download and SAVE the brother installer tool and it should end up in your Downloads folder. Then copy the commands below and paste into a terminal; line by line

Code: [Select]
cd Downloads
gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.1 (1).1-1.gz
sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1 (1).1-1 HL-L2320D

and that should run the installer tool; it will ask you some questions; and it should work.]

I have a Brother MFC-875 but mine is set up for network.

Edit: I went to Brother and it looks like they updated the driver from 2.1 to 2.2. They will have the new commands for you to follow. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:27:06 am by zebedeeboss »

Offline starchase

• View Profile
Re: Trying to Get a Brother Printer HL-L2320D to Print
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 11:17:44 am »
Thanks for the instructions.  I followed them and got the installer to run and it made it successfully through to the end and asked if I wanted to print a test page, but when I said yes the output was

lpr P HLL2320D /usr/share/cups/data/testprint
ls: cannot access '/etc/udev/rules.dev/*? No such file or directory

Amended:  Actually I neglected to delete the printer that was still there.  I just deleted it and reran the  sudo bash line and was able to successfully get a test page to print.  But when I tried to print a pdf file the printer's ready light blinked for a bit and then stopped flashing and did not print.  It will print a Word document from Libre Office!  And I got it to print a TIFF image.  Wonder why it won't print PDFs?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:54:49 am by starchase »

Offline TonyBronze

• Trusted User
  • Peppermintaholic
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 8 & 9
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 12:38:32 pm »
Can you try opening a pdf with Libre Office Writer and see if it will print from there?
......to infinity and beyond..............

Offline starchase

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 02:01:47 pm »
Naw, that doesn't work, I get an error from Word trying to open it.  Somehow the print driver can't understand the postscript or the component in creating the pdf.  I'm trying to open the software manager to download a graphics program Irfanview-like that can safe to multiple formats, maybe I can save the pdf to a tiff.

Offline emegra

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 9 64bit
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 02:32:58 pm »
Hi starchase

Not sure if you've tried this I didn't read all the posts on this thread, but surprisingly Brother seems to offer decent support for Linux and they have a driver here for your model
https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2320d_us_as&os=128

might be worth a try

Good luck

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline starchase

• View Profile
Re: Trying to Get a Brother Printer to Print PDF Files
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 02:43:39 pm »
Thanks - that brings me to the file download that stevesveryown found, which I did put on the Asus with the close results I mention.  I seem to be able to print most everything except PDF files!  Weird!?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:56:07 pm by starchase »

Offline TonyBronze

• Trusted User
  • Peppermintaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 02:53:17 pm »
Naw, that doesn't work, I get an error from Word trying to open it.  Somehow the print driver can't understand the postscript or the component in creating the pdf.  I'm trying to open the software manager to download a graphics program Irfanview-like that can safe to multiple formats, maybe I can save the pdf to a tiff.

Do you mean Libre Writer was unable to open the PDF or it could open it but not print it?

Offline starchase

• View Profile
Re: Trying to Get a Brother Printer to Print PDF Files
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 03:24:11 pm »
It was unable to open the file from the File Open menu.  I could drag and drop the pdf onto Word but it lay there as a graphic, which wouldnt be so bad but I'd have to expend some effort to manipulate it to the correct orientation, etc. for the uest's purposes. it does print inside Word but it wouldn't be optimal.

Offline TonyBronze

• Trusted User
  • Peppermintaholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 04:50:36 pm »
You keep referring to Word.  Libre Office Writer is not Word.  It can natively open and deal with PDF's much better than word.

Whether or not it can open a PDF has no relevance to the printer driver.  It can open a PDF whether you have a printer installed or not.

If you have tried to open the PDF in Libre Office writer and it failed to do so, then there is more likely to be a problem with the PDF itself.

Offline starchase

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 04:54:58 pm »
Hi TonyB - you are correct of course, I was using Word for Writer, incorrectly as you indicate.  The effects stand though.

I did find a way to print the run of the mill pdf files.   I Googled why is it difficult for printers to print pdf files? and came across this page https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/cant-print-pdf-file-solved/ with the suggestion to open the page in a browser which I hadn't thought of.  I opened it in Firefox and it does work.

A caveat is that, I think, if the file has pages too wide or tall or something it won't print.  At least that is what I found.  If they are straight forward 8.5" x 11" it prints fine, even in duplex.  Except I did try a 3 page duplex that it wouldn't print.  maybe a page was too long.  Who knows!!  But at least for your average businessman who wants some work product printed for a meeting I hopefully can accommodate his request.

Thanks for your help in getting me this far.

John

Offline PCNetSpec

• Administrator
  • Hero
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
  • Peppermint version(s): Peppermint 8R, 9, and 9R
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 06:27:52 pm »
If you're having problems with PDF files, try Master PDF Editor
https://code-industry.net/free-pdf-editor/#get
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root' .. logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Team Peppermint
PCNetSpec

Offline starchase

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 01:43:27 pm »
Is it installed using Terminal or something else?