Choose style:

Author Topic: Peppermint 9 don't boot from dvd and usb stick to install it in hard drive  (Read 1980 times)

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
I am

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline kostas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): 9
I did it and nothing happened,it boots again from hard drive :(

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Ok, but now you have a bootable usb.
How did you boot Ubuntu?
Is your machine capable of booting from usb?
I know I've asked before and you replyed with the specs of your machine, but what's the brand? Asus, Dell, Lenovo, HP,...? And model??

WARNING: I didn't really wanted to share this, because if it fails you might end up with an unbootable pc, but https://opensourceforu.com/2009/03/install-linux-straight-from-an-iso/

Offline kostas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
I boot ubuntu directly from the iso that i burned in dvd.The ubuntu dvd iso boots normally and i had not problem with that.The only problem that i have is in the peppermint 9,all the other distros that i use they boot fine.Of course my pc is capable to boot from usb,i boot from usb other linux distros.My pc it's not some brand name,i build it by myself with the parts that i bought.I write the specs in the begging of this post.In my pc i have 3 hard disks so i will install the peppermint in the 3rd disk separate from parrot and windows so i think there's no problem with unbootable pc :)

Offline kostas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
The question is this now:Will the grub recognize the new operating system in the 3rd disk drive?

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
You can always tell Grub about it by editing  Grub's configuration file.
I still find it strange you can't boot Peppermint, but you can boot Ubuntu ???

Offline kostas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Yes it's very strange and the procedure that i see right now on how to install peppermint directly from hard drive is too complicated for me

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline kostas

• nOOb
  • New Forum User
    • View Profile
Yes this is more clear.One more question:which one is the file that make the dvd or usb stick bootable inside in the iso image?i really appreciate your time and thank you very much for your help

Offline pin

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
I think I'll pass that question :(
I think I understand it ??? on EFI, or not...
To be honest I've never digged into it except when installing my NetBSD system, so this I don't really dare to answer.

Let us know how it goes ;)

Offline alynur

• Trusted User
  • Veteran
  • Habitual Forum Browser
    • View Profile
  • Peppermint version(s): P 9R (64bit), P 10
Yes it's very strange and the procedure that i see right now on how to install peppermint directly from hard drive is too complicated for me

Hi kostas, Did you ever manage to boot up Peppermint? The procedure is a little confusing but I managed it with a little help from PCNetSpec to boot up Zorin from my hard drive. Be aware that this method will not allow you to install it. You can also install unetbootin in the first partition or distro of your hard drive, say sda1, and use that to boot whatever distro you want and even install it from there. My intentions were to install Zorin on one of my partitions and that worked. Actually, I was trying to find a solution for this post.
What was I thinking?